burning pine..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a more serious note, someone mentioned hemlock and spruce. I've been wondering about that, I got a lot I want to burn.

The only bad thing I find with hemlock is that it pops a lot so I wouldn't use it indoors in an open fire place. In a stove or furnace it's fine.

This past winter I was upset that I didn't have more pine to burn. Warm temps and no snow removal meant I was home a lot and could keep after it. If I was a little more daring...I coulda sold more out of the "house" pile just burning pine, box elder, and the odd balls/cutoffs.

The only bad thing I find with hemlock is that it pops a lot so I wouldn't use it indoors in an open fire place. In a stove or furnace it's fine.
I have an owb so no problemo. But a good point, I use it for campfire wood at my campground, make the girls squeal.

Same with Cedar too. Cedar pops a lot and make a bunch of noise but other then that it burns real hot and is a nice wood. It also splits really easy.

Shane

Where i live Wyoming we have pine and aspen. I burn both and have done so for many years. I keep a year ahead on my firewood and clean my chimney once a season. I cut standing dead in early summer and split ASAP. Last year i burnt 6+ cords and swept about 1.5 gallons of flaky dry brown "stuff" out of my liner. No big deal, never had a chimney fire. Its the people who cut a green tree in september, don't split it till a day before they want to burn and never clean their equipment who have problems. I always get a kick out of "oh god don't burn pine", I live on top of the continental divide and we have some rough winters, below zero temps for months at a time with very high winds, my house usually has the front door open cause the wife has the stove cranked and the house is at 80. Please don't burn pine, i will gladly take your share.

well,i figured this wouldnt get many replies,but 4 pages! wow,here in the great northeast pa egion we got lots of hardwood,pine is considered scrap wood,always a craigslist ad for free pine,so now with all this wonderful info i guess the pine will get split,styacked and burned this year. got some rounds from last year still in a pile,so i guess drag out thew splitter and start splitting them!!

thanks

well,i figured this wouldnt get many replies,but 4 pages! wow,here in the great northeast pa egion we got lots of hardwood,pine is considered scrap wood,always a craigslist ad for free pine,so now with all this wonderful info i guess the pine will get split,styacked and burned this year. got some rounds from last year still in a pile,so i guess drag out thew splitter and start splitting them!!

thanks

I use a 2 step process to clean the sap off my hands. Fast orange, then rubbing alcohol (or hand sanitizer).

I use a 2 step process to clean the sap off my hands. Fast orange, then rubbing alcohol (or hand sanitizer).

I use a 1 step process. I wear gloves. :msp_thumbup:

The great thing about pine is it's so light after handling oak and maple all day. Almost feels like a fake piece of wood.

I use a 3 step process. Cut dead, split and stack. No need for fast orange as good dead pine has very little sap. And the only alcohol i use is a few ice cold MGD's for refreshment after the work is done.

Last edited:
Lit up some white pine tonight

Started a little fire in the ring at home tonight. Burnt up some cardboard boxes first then few some split white pine on it that has been drying for about a year. I was suprised how light the pine was after the year of drying. Anyway, campfire at the house, some Miller Lites, and all is good!

pine is ok

ok the story from all so far is what us pine burners already knew;
split green, dry under cover, if possible shed or leanto
use gloves
clean the chimney once a year. [over here if you have a chimney fire and you cant show a profesional chimney clean within the last 12 months ,by reciept,insurance may not pay out]
just smile at all the hardwood lovers,
and charge top dollar for your hardwood
while you burn the so called s..t pine, [that you probably got for nothing]

Last edited:
thing is the first of every month i run the brush down the chimney and clean the pipe every 2 months or when it is needed.i got a lot of dead standing pine,and will have more shortly.best is i get hardwood also so i mixed it last year through out the winter we had here.kept the house right round 74 all winter long.

guess this summer i got my work cut out for me!!

I'da blew a nut trying to get a piece of hardwood this size into my owb. It loves chunks like this when it's really cold.

Last edited:
started the splitting process..got a pickup load split right now. getting easier to split as it gets drier.now for the big pieces, got a few 26"-30" pieces,a friend took a few to ny for a contest for targets i guess.now i get to split the rest he didnt take!!!

I burn pine because the beetles kill a lot of nice big ones and it makes the sweetgum smell better:msp_thumbup:Like Del_,to me burning prime hardwood is like burning money.I'm about 3 years ahead on my woodpile, but about a year should season pine just fine.

I burn it, Free wood is a lot cheaper than gas no matter what kind it is. I burned it all winter a few years back, I've been lucky as the oak is plentiful here now but if pine was all i had it would get burned in a heartbeat. I still use it on occasion to start a fire or get one hot fast. Nothing wrong with it, It don't last as long and needs to be dried out good though. If it's free it's for me.

I burn it, Free wood is a lot cheaper than gas no matter what kind it is. I burned it all winter a few years back, I've been lucky as the oak is plentiful here now but if pine was all i had it would get burned in a heartbeat. I still use it on occasion to start a fire or get one hot fast. Nothing wrong with it, It don't last as long and needs to be dried out good though. If it's free it's for me.

X2 on that, I have access to a lot of Spruce and soft wood so I usually end up taking it home with me and burning it in my fire pit in the summer :)

I just finished hauling the last of the rounds from a fair sized cottonwood home. It will be donated to my neighbor who runs a party barn with a fire pit.

Pine? I would not turn it down.

Cottonwood? No way would I work it up for myself even as 'free wood' unless I were downright deperate.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back