Burning Tires?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I burn old tires I usually like to have them stacked up about 12 feet high on a metal post...usually takes a few years to get the tires that high. but o what a bonfire it is....

tires are for burnen out side silly...not in the wood stove.

They do burn best if filled with used oil.:biggrinbounce2:

See details in other post on logs in oil recipe.

I am short on wood and need to keep the house warm. I have been mixing it with my wood in the house. What do you guys think?

Why on earth would you be burning tires to keep the house warm?!

Is there some daftness bug running around Michigan?

Used tires are for creeks, rivers, streams, ponds, and lakes.
They have no business in wood burning appliances.

Now old diesel fuel soaked burlap bags on the other hand; That might be just the thing!!

Disclaimer: Please do not burn anything other than approved materials in any appliance!!;)

I also burn old tires in my woodstove. It doesn't matter though, because I have an EPA stove that burns so clean there is no smoke...... so all is good for my neighbors.

Why on earth would you be burning tires to keep the house warm?!

Is there some daftness bug running around Michigan?

Used tires are for creeks, rivers, streams, ponds, and lakes.
They have no business in wood burning appliances.

Now old diesel fuel soaked burlap bags on the other hand; That might be just the thing!!

Disclaimer: Please do not burn anything other than approved materials in any appliance!!;)

lmao :hmm3grin2orange:

I also burn old tires in my woodstove. It doesn't matter though, because I have an EPA stove that burns so clean there is no smoke...... so all is good for my neighbors.

Nice. So you're actually doing the environment a favor.

After the burn, if you would recycle all of the steel out of the tire, that would be the ticket!

My "Troll Alert" is going off like crazy......

Yeah, but you still posted a response didn't ya? That means you're no better than....than.....wait a minute......

DOH!!!!!!!!! :bang:

Homer's Brain: Don't you get it? You've gotta use reverse psychology.
Homer: That sounds too complicated.
Homer's Brain: OK, don't use reverse psychology.
Homer: All right, I will!

Last edited:
They do burn best if filled with used oil.:biggrinbounce2:

See details in other post on logs in oil recipe.

This story might sound like a pile of BS, but MANY years ago when burning tires was still vogue and the EPA was just someone's nightmare, we were going to burn a brush pile to have an area to warm up while cutting wood, and get rid of the brush.
So, we put this tire under the brush and poured some chainsaw gas in the tire. We stood back and threw a match in the gas. Hum, it snuffed the match out without so much as a flicker of a flame. Did I mention it was cold? :laugh:
We put another light "strike anywhere wooden match" into the gas without any success. Finally we had to put some paper in the tire along with the gas. The paper finally started on fire, warmed up the gasoline enough to make some fumes, these started on fire and finally got the tire going which got the brush hot enough to ignite. Did I say it was cold out that day?
It was so darned cold that gasoline wouldn't even ignite until you warmed it up.
BTW, tire burning should only be done at night! :laugh:

Not talking about burning tires here - but -

Years ago.

Not done by me but I was present.

Big, big brush pile at the shore by a lake cottage.

Add gas to the brush pile.

Toss a match.

Boom! - made the fish jump out of the water all over the lake.

Interesting.

Shari

Latest posts

Back