Burning Tires?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O goody its story time.........

Back in the day of tire burnen and when I first bought my house here that I live in. I cleaned out my barn that was o so full of useless #### that the last owner left. there was also well I would say about 50 to 75 tires. Well it was a dark and stormy night, well not stormy just good and dark. there was about 3 feet of snow on the ground and I had a few beers so I figured it would be a good night for a FIRE!..well I started the garbage pile (which was mostly crap made of wood and cardboard some plastic) on fire and when it was about done I remembered the big tire pile behind the barn...hell I thought I could get rid of these by torching them. Well after the first 10 or so I threw on I couldn't resist and made many trips that night burning tires. I even remembered the old council tv in the garage...now that thing went up like about 20 tires burning at the same time...lucky I live in the woods. Well at about 4 in the morning and I figured it was time for bed and after 20 beers or so and humping tires I was dog tired. I went to bed and the wife was asleep. the next morning she woke up before me and must have been half asleep when she woke up and saw me lying there. I heard her scream and jump out of the bed. well to make a long story short my face was black as coal and my blond hair to. not to mention half of it was singed off and I was not looken like my self. I always giggle about it when I think about it...she doesn't did I ever make a mess out of the end of the bed and my pillow. just thought I would share.

I'd first like to know how you cut the tires up into small enough chunks to fit in your heater. That must be one interesting saw you're using.

I use an old buzzsaw hooked up to an old binder v8 engine and trans. I welded a chunk of 10" well pipe to the park brake drum and have a flat belt from an old round bailer to turn the saw. The saw has some big abrasive wheels i got at a yard sale on it. I dont have a good radiator so I run the hoses in a 55 gallon drum and add cold water if it gets too hot.

I use an old buzzsaw hooked up to an old binder v8 engine and trans. I welded a chunk of 10" well pipe to the park brake drum and have a flat belt from an old round bailer to turn the saw. The saw has some big abrasive wheels i got at a yard sale on it. I dont have a good radiator so I run the hoses in a 55 gallon drum and add cold water if it gets too hot.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Years ago there was a salvage yard that I used to go to that had a wood stove in their shop made out of a huge steel tank of some sort. The door to the stove was more than large enough to toss tires in, and they kept a big stack of tires by it that they tossed in when they got cold.

The shop itself was just an uninsulated metal building. I was there one cold day when they tossed a few tires in the stove; it glowed a dull orange and the building got very warm.

I've lit a good number of wet brush piles on fire using a tire and some diesel.

Last edited:
well to make a long story short my face was black as coal and my blond hair to. not to mention half of it was singed off and I was not looken like my self. I always giggle about it when I think about it...she doesn't did I ever make a mess out of the end of the bed and my pillow. just thought I would share.

And now I know why your nick-name is Bojangles !!! :cheers:

O goody its story time.........

Back in the day of tire burnen and when I first bought my house here that I

Yikes Yoop. whatd ya do, burn the barn the next day :hmm3grin2orange:

CRW_0210_FullPlumeCapitol_enhanced_900x577.jpg

CRW_0251_FE_Plume_WaltonRd_1056x700.jpg

I just have to jump in here regaiding big fires and tires.

In my hometown in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when I was growing up, we did not have fireworks.

We had bonfires. Let me explain.

The town was split into roughly equal locations which were located about 5 miles apart, and every year on the third of July at dusk we held a competition that was based on which part of town could build the biggest bonfire.

Our town had an iron mine where most of the men worked. The mine had huge trucks with 6-8 foot tires. Those tires wore out and were put into a "boneyard". It was tradition that those tires could be hauled away for the 4th of July bonfire. Typically there were at least twenty of these very large tires in each bonfire.

So these huge tires and every other car and truck tire in the area were horded and hauled to the site of the bonfires. Also if a house were to be torn down, the wood, shingles, etc were used to build up the bonfire. Then some of the older teenagers and twentysomethings would go to work and cut down trees to add to the fires as well,

Needless to say, the fires were about 40-50 feet high and wide by the time they were lit at dark.

The fires belched columns of black smoke hundreds of feet in the air, and actually burned for weeks.

I lived in the North part of town, but the South always won, Haha!

Bob

I just have to jump in here regaiding big fires and tires.

In my hometown in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when I was growing up, we did not have fireworks.

We had bonfires. Let me explain.

The town was split into roughly equal locations which were located about 5 miles apart, and every year on the third of July at dusk we held a competition that was based on which part of town could build the biggest bonfire.

Our town had an iron mine where most of the men worked. The mine had huge trucks with 6-8 foot tires. Those tires wore out and were put into a "boneyard". It was tradition that those tires could be hauled away for the 4th of July bonfire. Typically there were at least twenty of these very large tires in each bonfire.

So these huge tires and every other car and truck tire in the area were horded and hauled to the site of the bonfires. Also if a house were to be torn down, the wood, shingles, etc were used to build up the bonfire. Then some of the older teenagers and twentysomethings would go to work and cut down trees to add to the fires as well,

Needless to say, the fires were about 40-50 feet high and wide by the time they were lit at dark.

The fires belched columns of black smoke hundreds of feet in the air, and actually burned for weeks.

I lived in the North part of town, but the South always won, Haha!

Bob

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's probably not a "tradition" that's been kept alive!! LOL! Ahhhh.... the good ole days. Makes me want to look at my foot bones on the x-ray machine at the shoestore while smokin' a Lucky Strike.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's probably not a "tradition" that's been kept alive!! LOL! Ahhhh.... the good ole days. Makes me want to look at my foot bones on the x-ray machine at the shoestore while smokin' a Lucky Strike.

Oh no the bonfire tradition died quite a number of years ago. I think the fire department had a bit to say about it, as they had to be out all night putting out brush fires close to the area. Less important I think were pollution issues. Haha!

Ahh, the good ole days. I miss the heat from a good old F-78/14. Dangblasted long lasting radial tires came along and all but dried up my supply of wore out tires. I was forced to switch to wood, and now have terminal cases of CAD and FAD. Thanks for nothing Goodyear and Firestone!

Latest posts

Back