Burning tulip popular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've burned a lot of it - our property had been logged before we bought it and they left a lot of poplar that had grown straight and tall on fairly steep slopes. Once it lost the wind protection of the other trees a lot of it fell in subsequent storms. It does burn well, just not that heavy so burn times are shorter. But it's a dream to split and stack, and it's great for starting fires. I also like to throw in a split of poplar to kick up secondary combustion on a fire that's slowing down. It's good stuff to have around.

Agreed !!

Just burn it! I call it fools ash, rookies always think they scored a load of ash, when it is really tulip.

I was out cutting a few weeks ago in a logged area with a buddy of mine and we came across a discarded top. He said it was hickory ( which I knew was wrong ) and I glanced at it and said 'poplar'. He insisted it was hickory, so I go over to cut a piece and show him why not and it was white ash. We don't have that much ash up in the hills here, and it was sitting in a sea of poplar tops quite a ways up a hill, so I had been walking past it without even giving it a second look. Fooled us both and we got a good chuckle out of it....

Well, I got some juicy ones here that were on my bucket list anyway, and I can buy a spud peeler tool. I need to find out which mills want it and some more exact criteria of how they want it.

I'll be interested in what you find out. I might look into it around here too. I'll even peel taters if they'll pay me good enough...:D

I was out cutting a few weeks ago in a logged area with a buddy of mine and we came across a discarded top. He said it was hickory ( which I knew was wrong ) and I glanced at it and said 'poplar'. He insisted it was hickory, so I go over to cut a piece and show him why not and it was white ash. We don't have that much ash up in the hills here, and it was sitting in a sea of poplar tops quite a ways up a hill, so I had been walking past it without even giving it a second look. Fooled us both and we got a good chuckle out of it....
I hope you glommed it up. White Ash is the cat's ass, if you got back straps, cold beer & White Ash, your livin large!:rock:

I've used the peeled bark as a 'tarp' for the wood stacks. Messy to dispose of when it all rots though.
The wood is great for shoulder seasons in the stove. If you can split it where you drop it and pick it up later it'll save your back. Wet rounds are heavy!
Dries quick once it's split, though. Drop it and split it now and you've probably got wood for September/October. I don't turn it down when it shows up.

Go ahead and burn it if its dry. As far as the bark being used for siding it isn't straight from the tree to the house. It's pressed flat, cut to size, and if I remember correctly it's treated, otherwise it just rots.

Shea

I have burned some but only because it was in the way of the oak I wanted to cut. Have to split it to barely fit thru the stove door though because small splits won't keep you warm long enough to go get another split off the wood stack.

Back