Buy 2 chains or buy 3 and make 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Either buy two 105 dl chains for the 32" bar or buy 3 chains for the 24 inch and make the 105s and have a few links extra?

I will save a few dollars making the chains, but I have to buy a spinner. Tis a good reason to add a spinner to the tool inventory.

Good way to go????

Buy the spinner.

I ended up doing the same when I needed chains "now", and couldn't wait for the brown truck - making two chains from 3 (I already had the spinner). The 3 donor chains from Lowes did cost more per link and were not exactly what I wanted, but I had them right away (wanted real semi chisel, ended up with safety full chisel) .

I recently bought a tecomec breaker and a spinner from archerplus on eBay. Since then I've made several chains from Archer reels I've purchased from them. If you figure your time, it's probably cheaper to order loops, but I'm happy to know that I'll have those tools for many many years and get great use from them.

Buy the spinner. I need to as well.

Living rural, I’m forced between waiting for deliveries, paying too much for off brand chain loops made at the local shop, or limited selection of styles/DL counts at the hardware store (again at full price).

How many chains do you go through in a year? I'm sort of a self-contained unit too, but the older I get the more I realize that there's nothing shameful about paying a couple extra bucks sometimes when it's convenient. Last few chains I bought, I'm quite certain the dealer built them in house and they were priced by the link, so no savings to be had by turning 3 chains into 2.

How many chains do you go through in a year? I'm sort of a self-contained unit too, but the older I get the more I realize that there's nothing shameful about paying a couple extra bucks sometimes when it's convenient. Last few chains I bought, I'm quite certain the dealer built them in house and they were priced by the link, so no savings to be had by turning 3 chains into 2.

Only 2 or 3 chains a year with normal use. Hit dirt/rocks and an extra one gets used up. I find that I tend to over sharpen so that also accounts for accelerated chain usage. I also help others with chain sharpening, and soon, possible chain recovery.

I was running an 18" on my 290, and chains had to be built by the shop. I went to a 20" and can now buy off the shelf (from Amazon) for a good savings. The ms290 seems to like the 20" 3/8s skip-tooth chains just fine, so it was a good upgrade.

Check out their spinner / breaker set (a few dollars less than buying individually):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...301401?hash=item58e9d6f759:g:d0UAAOSww3tY7Vb7
It is important to buy ones where replacement parts are available, and this is currently the best deal I know of.. You will also need a source for presets.

I have used mine to repair and resize many, many chains, even though I have never made up chains off of a bulk roll.

Philbert

Check out their spinner / breaker set (a few dollars less than buying individually):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...301401?hash=item58e9d6f759:g:d0UAAOSww3tY7Vb7
It is important to buy ones where replacement parts are available, and this is currently the best deal I know of.. You will also need a source for presets.

I have used mine to repair and resize many, many chains, even though I have never made up chains off of a bulk roll.

Philbert

Initially I will break with a grinder and a punch&hammer. Maybe get a breaker down the road, if this becomes a regular thing.

Repurposing longer chain loops could be good or bad idea wise. I purchased the Oregon chain breaker and rivet spinner 35 years ago. But when the chain loops were on sale at the whole sale prices was pretty close to using 25’/100’ rolls cost wise.

That is what I am discovering also. 84 dl chains at $17.xx each are my tobe repurposed bulk chains.

Sounds like your on your way to a spinner. They are handy to have but I would say not needed. You will find your largest savings are switching from stihl chain to something else. It is difficult to make up the price of the spinner and breaker and the initial investment in the spool of chain versus just buying premade loops at a fair price using 2 or 3 chains a year. If you can find some spools that are not priced at retail then you can do a lot better. I got one full and 3 partials at an auction for a little over $100. Made the decision pretty easy at that point.

That is what I am discovering also. 84 dl chains at $17.xx each are my tobe repurposed bulk chains.

Years ago I was buying shorter oregon loops for around $6 a loop from my wholesaler. Since I had the business name I registered with a wholesaler right away. I think I have some saw chain still from back then.

Having a rivet punch and rivet spinner you can buy chain repair kits too. When you damage a tooth it can be repaired.

Sounds like your on your way to a spinner. They are handy to have but I would say not needed. You will find your largest savings are switching from stihl chain to something else. It is difficult to make up the price of the spinner and breaker and the initial investment in the spool of chain versus just buying premade loops at a fair price using 2 or 3 chains a year. If you can find some spools that are not priced at retail then you can do a lot better. I got one full and 3 partials at an auction for a little over $100. Made the decision pretty easy at that point.

I saw a video where a guy "spun" a tie-strap with a punch and hammer. It wasn't pretty but I guess it worked. There was no follow up video commenting how well it held up.

I buy Husky chains for my Stihl saws. A good savings over shop made Stihl chains. I have also been buying Oregon chains, but Husky chains are my first goto when I start a search.

Good point about finding partials bulk chains. I'll be on the lookout at garage sales, flea markets and local ads.

Granberg makes a spinner breaker that is built on a vise grip. It works surprisingly well. I don't think it is to much of a savings over a cheaper combo. Husky chain used to be oregon chain rebranded. Not sure if it still is. I am sure you can break chain with a punch and a grinder and tie it up with a punch. There really is not that much to it. Not sure it would be worth 105 drive links flying through the air. It would probably take a little while to figure out how tight your link is. In a spinner it is a lot easier to control

Back