Buy A Better Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXCALIBER

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Maybe this is just me, but as I read many of the posts on new stoves, many people are spending way too much on stoves that will only burn for 8-10 hours at best on a low setting? I for one cannot be tied to my stove or babysit it. I will not get up in the middle of the night to feed it, I will not rush to see if there are coals left to restart a fire in the morning, I will not run propane or have a friend feed my fire if I decide to go out of town for a weekend.

There are stoves on the market that will burn for 40 plus hours using so-so, middle of the road wood. I researched almost every stove on the market before I found one that seemed to be a clear winner in quality, heat output, and burn time. I believed many people were buying inferior stoves to save on the purchase price only to find out they could have bought a better stove for the same or less money.

So why are people buying stoves that have a short burn time, are expensive, and don't measure up to other stoves. I cannot wrap my head around this. I could see if you wanted a decorative parlor stove or the like, and were not trying to heat a home with it. So what does everyone think, has everyone lost their minds, have too much money, need an excuse to cut wood till hell wouldn't have it just to feed their stove, or is this just a lack or research?

So what stoves do you guys have? What are the burn times and cord per year usage? How hot do you keep it in the house? Any explanation for having a stove you have to feed everyday that was more than 1000$

EXCALIBER

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Burn 40 plus hours?? Do tell? Or are you talking about a self feeding wood pellet stove? I'm happy with a 8 hour burn.

No just a regular wood stove, with a cat in it. I bought a Blaze King and was skeptical like always about anyone's claims when they are trying to sell something. I went to a store that was selling them they had one on display burning and I played with it for two days and wood lasted forever it seemed and it would run you out of the room. I since bought one last year and yes 40 plus hour burn times. I do not have hardwood or anything special I burn pine, cottonwood, and some elm if I can find it. I usually feed it every two days and there is always wood left in when I feed it. If I go three days I have to start off of coals but the house and stove are still hot.

Craz z

Craz z

ArboristSite Member
:msp_w00t: 40 hour burn time my good god i'd never need to even cut wood if i had one.

My dad has a blaze king from 94 or 95 with cat I will say he can easily do a 8-10 hour burn on cottonwood.

My stove is a hybrid from who knows when i think it was made here in montana its a insert that looks like a free standing cottonwood is 1-2 hour burn and good pine is 3-4 hour burn all it has is a damper on top and lets everything go right up the chimney. defintely want to up grade in the future thinking of going nuts with a mason saw rip the guts out and add a freestanding and the blaze kings i know are quite popular round here.

40hour burn time i could tell the propane man to come get his tank as most weekends im out kiteboarding in deep powder.

CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
To buy a stove for under a grand and get 40 hrs heating a full sized home....I call bs...on average junk wood...in my best northern accent...ubetcha!

Coldfront

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I burn wood I am burning it to crank out good heat, not to see how long a burn time I can get. When it's -20° out I feed the beast often. I bet if you set it to burn even 20 hours it would be cold as hell in my house. I'm not bashful about burning too much wood when it's good and cold out.

Whiteash

Whiteash

ArboristSite Lurker
Im new to the site but I've been burning wood since I was old enough to haul it in.
Maybe if you have a firebox that will hold a half a chord at a time.
Not Buying it... figuratively or literally

laynes69

laynes69

Addicted to ArboristSite
Why do people spend too much on a stove? Because they can and that's their choice. During the mild seasons, you may see a 40 hour burn in a blaze king. Yes they can do it, but will that output heat our home no. That like saying why buy a new car when you can get one for 500.00. Everyone has the choice and appeal to purchase what suits their needs, looks, options etc. Also unless buying a used blaze king, they are well over the 1000 mark, more like over the 2500 mark. Budget stoves allow users to save money as well as receiving a quality product without the bells and whistles.

Fyrebug

Fyrebug

ArboristSite Guru
Blaze King makes great stoves and they have a very loyal following. If you got one under $1K go to the corner store quick and buy some lottery ticket. This is your day!

The big blaze king can do about 40 hrs. The reason for this is they use a catalytic converter to burn the smoke. The stove can burn at much lower temp than a regular 'secondary combustion' wood stove.

Having said that they are also 'huge' stove so you can put a lot of wood in there. You can only get 40 Hrs with the big 'un the "KING". It retails for about $5K plus.

https://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-stoves.html

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
I stopped getting up in the night to reload the stove years ago. I load it before bed, stop it down further than during the day, and in the morning there's plenty of hot coals to start the new fire. The house gets a bit colder at night, but no big deal. Probably just like most everyone else here. 40 hours of more than a smoldering fire? I'm not buying it either.

Sure, cats work great, I have no doubt of that. But I do have doubts about how long companies last, especially given present and coming economic circumstances. So I don't have any cats. When we picked our small stove, a major issue for me was that it not have any really complex firebox liner parts - so that I had a decent chance of replicating them myself if needed. I'm expecting my stoves, like my axes, to last a very long time with little more than my own maintenance - they may well have to, and that may be all I can afford then. If people want to spend their money on complex high tech stuff, that's their choice.

Mntn Man

Mntn Man

ArboristSite Guru
I can go more than 40 hours without loading the stove too! But, I risk the wife leaving the ash drawer open and burning the house down.:blob2:

Turkeyslayer

Turkeyslayer

Smells Great
I was actually in a local stove shop on Monday pricing the king and princess models for a friend. Up here they run $2700 for the princess and $3400 for the king, both priced as basic models with the the fan. If I wasnt trying to get a owb in the next couple of years, the king would be replacing my old fisher. I understand under real world heating conditions 12-14 hour burn times are common, which sure sounds good to me.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Ashley oval

Had a sheet metal sides old ashley oval once, with the swing to the side top lid. You could put a mambo big piece in there. Left the house on a friday afternoon, came back late sunday, still going. Had dropped the biggest half seasoned hunk of whatever I had in there, on top of coals, then shut down the air and damper that was installed. Was still pretty good coals when I got back. So that was around 40 hours.

I have a similar one now, but the top folds up, so it won't take quite as big of a chunk, still decent though, a majestic automatic. Same deal overall, sheet metal sides, cast top and bottom. 25 buck yard sale find. Relined it with stove pipe metal and some tech screws and steel pop rivets. Whenever that is worn out, another four bucks for more sheet metal.

I can get all night out of it easy, but not 40 hours. Half a day is about it, a big chunk of dense wood on top of enough coals..half a day with the air shutdown mostly (I don't use a damper anymore)

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
My thoughts on burning

zogger, why don't you use a damper anymore?

I'm an old nerd and woods hippie, I have a fixation on wondering why, and how to do something better...it is built in...

Short answer- I found I didn't need one, and it keeps the chimney from sooting or creosoting up. When I used a damper before, it was like every other month had to pull the stove pipe, clean that, then once before and once during burning season clean the chimney.

long answer and some thoughts--Got sick of that noise, I think having to do that just sucks..never liked it So, one day sat down and thought about it, thought about a wood heater as a combustible gas heat engine. Like a car. You don't put a restrictive muffler on a car to get more power or more mileage. Wood heater is the same, sometimes you want more power, sometimes more mileage, but both is nice as well..how to do that, on the cheap??? the expensive way is on sale for big buck$$, I never have that, so...

So I am like, "why the heck am I supposed to be using this exhaust restricter again, does this really work, or is it old wives tales junk science like so much other crap in our society"??? (I got a suspicious mind about a lot of that stuff..)

I'm staring at the chemistry and engineering and dang if I can see any so called benefit to it. So I yanked the sucker out and started experimenting.

If you want more power, you go to bigger displacement and/or more fuel and air delivery. If you want more mileage, less fuel and burn it better and be happy with a little less whizzbang down the road.

In neither case do you restrict your exhaust. Neither. anyone who knows engines knows that, worst case a very slightly modded expenasion chamber, or crossover pipes, but that's the nature of a reciprocating piston engine, which the wood stove ain't got.so it ain't needed...

Wood is the fuel, the stove is the engine, so I adjust-to follow the analogy- if I want to run on from one cylinder to eight, I do that with what species and what size of wood goes into the heater. then I adjust the air intake for my "throttle".

The exhaust, I run a straight pipe, no muffler at all.

And that's it, and it works.

I get half a cup maybe of real real fine soot/ash out of the pipes once a year, and the chimney stays clean, there's hardly anything there *to* clean. No cat, no turbo extra air intake gizmos, nothing.

I get the heat I want, just by being more careful with how I feed it and when and how often and adjusting the little air intake. I can go from full blast max heat thin split real dense hardwood with the air intake wide open, to a huge chunk of something cooler burning like poplar, then adjust the air down to the crack around the door. I get heat, of the quantity and duration I need, it works, that's it. Little more personal work involved because requirements change a little night time to day and day to day during the season, but you get used to it fast. And the heater is right here in out living room hang out area, so it isn't a hassle for me to load it and adjust it appropriately.

Maybe I'd use a damper if I had one of these 1000 buck used or whatever new stoves and it was required to make all the gizmos work, but..that is so far outside the budget it ain't funny, and I am still not convinced a damper is needed if you adjust the fuel load and air intake correctly. And I check my chimney, very rarely do I get visible smoke.

I've done it both ways now, and see no downside to not using a damper, as long as you pay attention to things. You can slow the exhaust with the air intake, no need for a damper then. If you want to add an additional multi pipe heat exchanger and fan deal in the stove pipe, you could do that I guess. If you want a lower output fire to last longer, just throw in a much bigger piece of wood, less surface area on fire. That's why all my stacks are mixed sizes and species. I can drop a big 10-12 inch piece medium long in from the top, or a gnarly crotch chunk. That burns a long time with either warm or mild temps. If I need a lot of heat, back to splits and smaller rounds and loading more frequently and opening the air inlet more (and I have a second air inlet I can pop open, but rarely use it or need to use it).

And that's another reason why I harvest much smaller stuff than most guys, it helps me adjust for the heat output I want. I stack one inch to almost twelve inches diameter sized pieces,10 to around 18 inches long. The shorter ones are the thick sweet gum pieces, because I have a lot of them to burn and won't try to split them, waste of time, so I cut them a little shorter so they season with the rest of the wood. They burn roughly like soft maple for heat output, decent enough to keep. I cut some of the harder woods like that, but longer, like if you get a bend or elbow in a thick branch, I cut that elbow part out special, just to have an oddball big piece to put in at night on real cold nights (for here), and it gets blended in with the other wood, so one is always handy. I cut small, all the way to over three hundred lb rounds, because small is just like splits, just less work, and it's right there for taking on the tree, so why not? I'm standing right there with a saw...most guys leave the small, cut big, then go out of their way to go back and split small again! They just left a ton of small pieces out in the woods!

I learned to keep the small as well as the other stuff when I was cutting with a bowsaw and using my boots for the skidder to get it out of the woods, and my splitter was also my do everything axe with a 2.5 lb head. Small Is all I could handle really. Anything that needed splitting was done with the dinky axe, so I learned to be very careful splitting and do it right the first time, I learned technique in reading the wood and speed and accuracy over brute force and blunt force trauma with some gigantic maul like a sharpened anvil. I tried one of them things once..man..I'll take technique and a lighter axe. (this is why I love the fiskars). Learned to use small a lot because a third of a horse power human can do a lot of work, as long as it is lighter duty. I can drag out an entire small tree if I have to. Cutting thirty inch rounds and getting them out all by hand, with a biodrive saw, and dragging the stuff or carrying it..nope. You'll keel over, even if you are hoss cartwright. So I learned small wood can work. (this was in maine, yes it got cold, uninsulated single bare wood plank and tar paper cabin, did around 4-5 cords a year heat, another few for sugaring. I did own a chainsaw, but that was strictly for wood for sale, about a cord a year I sold some small bundles) All my own wood I did by hand, because....my nature. Felt like it. I like a woodrobics workout some. I liked quiet a lot more back then. Now I am deaf enough..it's always sorta quiet...HAHAHAHAHA

Now I have a tractor and chainsaws now, the cabin is still uninsulated but at least there are two layers of wood in the walls, plus I live in the south now, so all that helps with my neogeezerhood physical abilities. The wood heating theory is the same, and so are the trees. Trees got from less than pencil sized wood on up, and it all burns, and you can use it if you've a mind to.

Cutting by hand, I would drag entire branches/small trees/small logs off trees in, buck it up to the point where it was real small, then make a pile with the left over twigs, and a year later, next heating season, when they were real dry, break up all the little stuff with my hands or by stomping on it, put it in buckets, and burn that too. Some I would wrap in used hay bale twine and make my own "artificial logs". Great for in the morning, throw one of them in, whoosh, instaheat..man, I miss those little birch twigs....

In other words, the entire freeking tree minus the stump in the ground, every single bit of it.

You get a lot of heat out of little stuff, it just doesn't last long. *shrugs* feed the heater more often, it's that simple. It's good to get up out of the chair in the evening more often anyway. So I throw more on every half hour or so, I don't care, it is like three steps from where I am sitting.

Bwa! Lot of typing for why I don't use a damper, but...that's why. ;)

Latest posts