Buying 2 Stihls and would appreciate expert advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugenpoet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently joined this site as the result of starting to burn wood for heat again after a 25 year hiatus. Partially doing it as something to do in my upcoming retirement (this coming June) and also partially as my feable attempt to spite OPEC, as if my 1500 gallons of #2 fuel oil will lmake a difference in the Sheik of Abu Duabi's lifestyle.

Currently running a Husky 372XP which I have had for 2 years and it is a truly a great saw. It was an incredibly lucky purchases I made without knowing anything about the saw other than it seemed like the price was good on the internet. I had a Partner P70 for 25 years before the Husky which even with limited use I was able to completely wear it out, assisted in part I might add by recent total unavailability of parts.

Unfortunately one of the prerequisites for visiting this site regularly is that one eventually takes complete leave of their economic good sense when it comes to the acquisition of chain saws and chainsaw related equipment. To make a longs story some what shorter, I have decided to expand my chainsaw collection well beyond the perfectly adequate 372XP. This was made much easier for me because through a local radio station advertising promo I was able to buy a lot of 30% coupons that are good at our local Stihl dealer-same as cash. The first addition was an easy choice for me-the Stihl 361 with 18" bar. The second, which I will make within a week or two is between a MS441 and MS460. I know about the higher output of the 460 and the fact that there is little weight difference (also know that both are close to my 372 in performance and weight and therefore somwhat duplicative, but I really like the size of the 372), however, the most important things for me are reliability and durability. So my question is, between the MS 441 and MS 460 which is likely to be the strongest running machine.

Many thanks in advance for advice and assistance,

Regards,

Hugenpoet

660??

I only say that since I would assume the 372 closes the gap of the 361 and 660 more than adequately. Some have even go so far as to state that a 361 comes very close to closing the gap on it's own. And, since you have already thrown all of your economic sense out the window...

(BTW, I am far from an expert, but we can relate)

They are both excellent saws.

Some will say one or the other... I'll say it all depends on what you want it to do.

The 460 has more power and more easily modified.

The 441 is silky smooth and a real pleasure to use.

Under 20" I don't think you'll notice any difference whatsoever in performance. Bigger than 20" the 460 will win by a minimal margin.

My recommendation is since you already have the 361 and the 372xp is to look more at the 660.

NP nailed my thoughts also, why double up on a size class. Sounds like you may do enough cutting to put an MS-660 to work.

Or look at something in a 'twigger' like an MS-180 ?

Just to toss an idea in there, sticking to a brand (Stihl or Husky) keeping bar/chain standard gives you more options with fewer parts. (liike a B/C off a 361 will fit a 441 - 460 or 660)

I am not a Stihl head! But say try the 460 I was not impressed with my 044 have 0 experience with a 460 but the numbers look good on paper?But not as good as a 7900 Dolmar.I know this does not help much I will go to the corner now and hold my head in shame:)Not really because I now, okay think my 7900 will kik the 460's butt this coming from my comfy computer chair. lol
Just Run what you like and form your own biased opinions!

Last edited:
I have a 460 and used to run a 440, both with the 24" bar. I like the 460 for the power exchange, yes a little more weight but I notice a difference when I am blocking as far as progress. I vote for the 460 easily modded and at a very similar price.

the most important things for me are reliability and durability. So my question is, between the MS 441 and MS 460 which is likely to be the strongest running machine.

I would think the 441 is too new of a saw to really satisfy your most importants, and that is most important:cheers:

Hmm...the 460

BUT, if its possible, visit a Dolmar dealer, and try the 7900, less expensive, very nice saw.
There's a 460 in my stable, and I've had the pleasure to run some Dolmar saws, the 7900 is a pleasure to run. That gives you two saws in the 70cc class, depending on your future uses, having a 660, even used, may be more beneficial, and can use the same bars as your 361.

Have fun with your decision making, :cheers:

+1 on the 460, especially modded, real screamers, u really don't notice the weight of the 460 when using it, but i notice the 660 when i have to use it

Many thanks to all for the suggestions and the advice.

I am now very heavily leaning toward the MS460, which should be plenty of saw for a 61 year old to work the tree lines around our meadow for fire wood. Fortunately the tractor can do most of the heavy lifting and dragging for me.

Regarding the Dolmars, I think they are great-really like both the 7900 and the 6400 (6401 Makita), but with the 30% off coupons that I have for the Stihl dealer I am locked in to Stihl-not that I am complaining because I truly believe that Stihl makes as good a saw as anyone, but if all things were equal I would probably just stick with Husky because I have had great performance and zero trouble with the 372XP.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards

Hugenpoet

Whoa, 1500 gallons!!! Insulate your house man!!!!!

I've been on wood the last few years and have gotten by with < 50 gal oil backup for + 10 years now. Last year < 30 gal.

I agree with above posts a 440/460 is doubling up on what you have. A 660 would be nice if you tackle really big wood but that 70cc husky/361 combo should cut you enough wood for the next ten hears if you take care of them.

House is very well insulated, windows are argon filled double panes and furnance is ultra high efficiency. The problem is that the house is over 5500 sq. ft and is a victorian recreation with a wideeeeee open center hall stairway that meanders around up to the finished third floor high (10-12 ft ceilings) everywhere and a back very open stairway serving the rear of the house. The two Jotul Oslos have to really cook on cold nights and even then the master bedroom zone heat will run all night-my wife is not as cold blooded as am I.

Just got an oil delivery today, and am still on the pre-stoves degree day count. The delivery was for 200.6 gallons (have a tandem of 275 gallon tanks) for heat since Dec. 10 and certainly would have been 450 gallons if I had not installed the stoves just before Christmas.

Regards

Hugenpoet

took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!

So where is the "expert"?

I'm with you Fish!!!!! Yeah,,, Where are they????? LOL!!!!! :clap: :cheers: :givebeer:

I am no expert but tend to agree,,, why another 70CC saw???? the 372 is plenty in that category,,,,,,

361 & a 660 or a good used 066!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JMHO Non expert,,,,,that is!!!! an optimal 3 saw Plan!!!!

Last edited:
Whoa, 1500 gallons!!! Insulate your house man!!!!!

Quoted for truth man. 1500 gallons of #2 fuel oil would roughly be enough for me to drive to work everyday, for 3 years. I've never understood why the yankees up north use fuel oil so much. I guess it was cheap back in the day. Is the electric grid up there just really crummy?

Get the 460 and a dual port cover for it. The 460 can handle trees to 36" diameter. I'm 62 and two tanks a day is a lot of cutting. A verticle splitter helps a lot with the lifting.

Quoted for truth man. 1500 gallons of #2 fuel oil would roughly be enough for me to drive to work everyday, for 3 years. I've never understood why the yankees up north use fuel oil so much. I guess it was cheap back in the day. Is the electric grid up there just really crummy?
No the electrical grid is just fine where I'm at anyhow...but unless you have off peak electricity its not very economical either. I have offpeak for my heat and its roughly 25% of the regular rate, but it can only be used for heating purposes and they can turn it off during high peak hours. So in order to run off peak you need to also have a backup heat source. Plus it can get quite cold in yankee land especially where i'm at. Yesterday morning it was -19 when i went to work. This is one of the reasons I run synthetic oil in all my vehicles.

Last edited:
Hugen:

I would assume that anyone that has enough $$ to build that size castle, has enough $$ to buy the oil. I must complement you on using the price of oil to justify the need to buy more saws. Clever! You're safe, we never tell.

You really need at least one small saw for the little stuff.

660 is a big saw... for firewood? I would opt down toward a 460, or a 440. Get one of those new 440 gems before they are all gone! Also you may want to consider a second 361. A pair of those and you can run different size bars, and always have a saw up and running. You can go with a 24 inch with a 361(I do on mine, no problem). And for firewood, I dunno why you would want a larger saw than a 361 unless you are dropping and bucking 30+ inch DBH trees.

You could also go down in size and get a 260. But for that much money ($500 for a 260 vs $600 for a 361), I would much rather have a second 361. I would not recommed one of the smaller plastic saws, like the 250 or 180. If you have the 30% discount coupons (man, talk about gold) I would opt for only pro saws. So, 260, 361, 440/441, 460.

Latest posts

Back