Buying a new knuckle boom crane truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What length bed is on the bad boy? It looks like that would be over CDL? over 26,000lbs?

Nice truck all together I really like the cabover truck. It leaves more room for more hauling weight. Also they have turning radius.

It has a custom built 12' body. I had a local dumpster company fabricate it for me. It's bomb-proof. The sides are 5' high with 2x12's on top. What you can't see in this picture is the way I use the mesh tarp for chipping. It's mounted permanently to the headboard and just slides back over the bed and straps down with a few bungees. The bungees allow it to stretch up over really big loads. It's cheap and functional unlike those big removable steel lids. It goes from chipbox to dump bed in 60 seconds.

It requires a CDL. Its 33,000 GVW. It had to be to handle the crane and load. Small truck= small crane + small load (and maybe a twisted frame).

I know alot of guys cry about bigger equipment but, the truth is, when things dry out (and they always do) you will make so much money and feel so good at the end of the day that you'll wonder how you ever worked without it.

You'll still make money when it's wet and you'll find so many uses for it. It will totally change how you work.

Where in Ohio are you located? I'm 25 minutes from Youngstown if you ever wanted to see it.

And yes, the cab-over is a must. It's very maneuverable and compact. I can get it and my 1800BC into some really tight places.

Keep asking questions. I'm happy to help. I wish I had known someone with one. It took me 2 years to put that truck together.

Gerasimek

Making knuckleboom truck

How about taking an old asplundh truck with mancab and removing the mancab to install the knuckleboom? I am 1 year into the business and am replacing a very old and tired dodge dump....it was born before me.

Garfield,
You have to talk with whoever is installing the crane to make sure your truck is up to par (reinforced frame, enough space to operate, enough GVW, and enough HP to haul a load in addition to the weight of the crane).

If you try to do it on a shoestring budget, you'll regret it. Do the research and take advice. I heard of a guy that put a crane, that he was told was too big, on a 26,000Gvw truck because he didn't want to take the CDL test. First, he couldn't haul any considerable load of logs legally and, secondly, he twisted his frame.

If you're only a year into it and thinking about a grapple, you're headed in the right direction. Equipment pays for itself and shows up for work everyday ( if well maintained).

So yes, that should work if it's the right truck and the right crane.

Gerasimek

If you contact some of the knuckleboom companies they will give you minimum weight characteristics but you will need to talk with the truck manufacturer to discuss weight capacity overall.

Crane

I am not sure if youve made your decision yet, anyway.

I do municipal and residential tree care, Before I owned a crane it is tough being competitive in the municipal market without on. We have a lot of Silver maple in my area which as we all know are for the most part logs. Regardless of species, removing 14 foot logs and placing them directly into the truck effortlessly is a must in any competitive market. No damage, divets etc never mind way less fatigue on a climber and groundmen. I own a Kubota R420 Articulating wheel loader with grapple and as the fellow before me said moving wood to the crane and having him load his wood while the loader fetches more is ideal not to mention the crane at close proximity will have a larger capacity for loading.

I had a hiab 100 aw but no remote with a southco mp14 log body with removeable lids, and just purchased a hiab 95 with radio remote. Don' let anyone fool ya after having one of these units you'll never go back. Even worth gettiing trained on one as we are legislated to do here in ontario.

Hope I helped,

Crane.

Hi I forgot to mention make sure you get a chassis with ample axle weights my new crane is about 5000lbs so I have a double frame 06 International with air brakes and a gvw of 37000 lbs, my older truck with the older crane had a GVW of 33000lbs and with load, chipper in tow, sometimes was riding a fine line to being overweight and you could feel the truck was being overworked.

Take care

Adding remote to 060-2 Hiab

Thanks for all the good advice. I am looking at one truck with a Hiab 060 do you suppose I can add the remote or is this crane big enough? It says reach of 28 feet. Another option I was looking at was taking a Drywall Boom truck and taking off the forks and installing a grapple then building sides you get the idea any thoughts are appreciated.

Hey Garfield

Let me check the specs on this unit and Ill tell you what I think, by comparing it to my units reach etc... I'll get back to you

Crane

I would definiely think about a bigger crane if you can afford it. I have a hi ab 100 which lifts about 9000 lbs at the truck and 3000lbs at 30 ft, I find tis is still sometimes a little light but we just cut the cookies a little smaller.

Any crane is better than none but some training on load charts and recommended lifts is invaluable. as far as understanding their limits.

Believe it, i spent so much effort putting together my crane truck and I just kicked myself when I needed a remote or when I couldn't reach as far as I wanted or high enough when logging,. Its like a cheap couch or sofa, once you buy it, its their for years so pick what you want up front.

keep in touch

Hopefully, I attached the photo properly. Check it out.
Here are some details that might further help you in your decision.
This Hiab 090 has 4 extensions that will reach out to 36' which is great for picking up logs and brush piles that are fenced into backyards. I can also load several trucks from one spot.
The wireless option enables us to operate from any vantage point. You're not limited to standing next to one side of your truck. The wireless is also great for storm damage as it can be used from the bucket when lifting trees from rooftops.
The wireless remote also has a sweet option of switching the hydraulic flow from 100%, 50%, and 20%. This is great for the really delicate moves like working near big plate glass windows, setting trusses, or anywhere you can't afford to make a mistake on the controls. It's really smooth.
The Hiab is also very light compared to domestic cranes. It's made of high tensile steel.
The 090 can lift about 9000lbs right next to the truck and ,I think, 1800lbs at full extension. It has a built in safety mechanism that will prevent you from picking up too much weight and destroying itself and your truck.
All in all, it's been a workhorse and timesaver for me.
Gerasimek

now that's a beautiful truck!!

what would I be looking at to buy or make 1 identical?!!

Priceless

Cost of cab and chassis = $50,000
Cost of 090 Hiab crane with remote = $50,000
Cost of custom bed = $15,000
Cost of Kinshofer grapple and drawer to stow it = $6000
Seeing your competitor's face on your way to the bank = Priceless.

Seriously.
Gerasimek

Cost of cab and chassis = $50,000
Cost of 090 Hiab crane with remote = $50,000
Cost of custom bed = $15,000
Cost of Kinshofer grapple and drawer to stow it = $6000
Seeing your competitor's face on your way to the bank = Priceless.

Seriously.
Gerasimek

lol, that is too funny! But yeah that is one sweet set up.

So you remove the grapple when traveling?

Yes, the grapple detaches into a drawer that slides in under the bed. It's the best of both worlds. The reach and capacity of a crane and the ability to use a grapple.
I spent two years dreaming this truck up. It pays to do alot of research.
Gerasimek

grapple

hey if your interested we have 3 knuckleboom trucks 4 sale from $24000-30000:greenchainsaw: call 504 275 5231.

Last edited:
pictures of rotator

I'll get you some pics of the rotator and manufacturer.
Here's the deal with the rotator. When the rotator is hanging from the tip of the crane you can't fold it up. We fabricated a little bracket that enables us to kind of fold up the rotator so the crane can be folded up. I'm assuming all tree cutters can weld, right? (warning! Don't weld anything on your truck without disconnecting the crane from the battery!)
Gerasimek

Type of rotator

What is the actual quick coupler mechanism between the grapple and the Crane. Any chance of getting a picture of that? Thanks

Garfield,
It's a Kinshofer rotator. You lower it into the grapple, rotate it, and 'click', it's ready to lift.
Sorry I haven't posted the pictures. The camera I have takes high quality pics that won't fit on the website. I guess if I was a little more computer savy...
Gerasimek

drag your feet

Gerasimek, Thanks for the update. Quite frankly I am still looking for a truck. If i end up with a knuckleboom truck to add a grapple to I will hit you up again but as of now I really don't need it....today I looked at an F800 with a peterson lightning loader....48 inch clamshell grapple and 18 foot dump box. I can't put the kind of money into a truck that you have until the volume of business justifies it......

Latest posts

Back