Buying a new knuckle boom crane truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food for thought

My brother and I are looking a buying a knuckleboom as well but if you add up the cost of the unit + the truck+ the body it = about $100,000. That's alot of $$$$$$. You can get a great used tandam log truck for that kind of money. Logging trucks are faster and hold alot more wood. I think we are going to buy a log truck instead. DFD34

Lorry Crane

Hi,
Before operating the crane, operators should carefully read and understand the operation manual from the crane manufacturer. You can get more information from www.hmf-crane.co.uk.

For 100K buy a real crane!

If your spending that kind of money you can buy a sweet used Terex 4792 or similar boom truck. 23.5 ton, 92 foot of power boom, 102 foot hook height with another 28' of jib, 22' flat bed. You can dismantle trees with it, big trees. Haul 20' wood. I just don't see spending that kind of money for something with 35' reach. It's not realy a good chip truck or a realy good crane truck.

Knuckleboom Truck worth the Investment

Realize the thread is a bit old but, I have a knuckleboom chipper truck with removable lids and tool boxes on the side that is just sitting around collecting dust. Brother-in-law owned his own tree service and passed recently due to cancer. Any ideas on best way to sell the thing?

Based on the comments here, you all seem to see the value of a knuckleboom chipper truck but I'm not famiiar enough with the industry to know where to start with selling this truck or for how much. My brother-in-law started to teach my son the trade but he's only 14 so it'll be some time before he'd able to make use of the truck.

Photos and Specs for the truck are as follows:

View attachment 245757View attachment 245756.

-89’ Ford L8000 w/rebuilt 215 HP & Turbo
-Newly rebuilt turbo & compressor
-13’ Chipper box with removable roof & ladder rack
-6.5 Ton Knuckle Boom – extends 25’ w/remote
-Good rubber 360
-Two big lockable toolboxes 5’Lx18”Dx20”H
-New radiator & turbo intercooler
-Heavy duty pintle hook
-Air assist PTO
-Air Ride Seats

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Latest posts