buying a tw5

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bought a tw-3HD with a grate and auto valves, came with a 4-way also. I had the 8-N tractor so I went with a PTO driven splitter. Less likely to get stolen or borrowed. Timberwolf put alot of thought into their splitters.

What I really like about them is the wedge being on the end of the beam. The pieces fall on the grate, then the next pass pushes them off into a pile. Leave the tractor in neutral, as the pile gets big enough it rolls ahead.

I also put quick couplings on the return line by the control valve and on the pressure hose at the pump. Now I can plug it into my skid-steer. Note, knowing I was going to do this I filled the splitter with skid-steer oil.

The only thing I noticed was the auto return valve sometimes pops off at the end of the push stroke. Doesn't seem to mater when, hot, cold, sometimes 3-4 times in a row, some days once, go figure:confused:

bought a tw-3HD with a grate and auto valves, came with a 4-way also. I had the 8-N tractor so I went with a PTO driven splitter. Less likely to get stolen or borrowed. Timberwolf put alot of thought into their splitters.

What I really like about them is the wedge being on the end of the beam. The pieces fall on the grate, then the next pass pushes them off into a pile. Leave the tractor in neutral, as the pile gets big enough it rolls ahead.

I also put quick couplings on the return line by the control valve and on the pressure hose at the pump. Now I can plug it into my skid-steer. Note, knowing I was going to do this I filled the splitter with skid-steer oil.

The only thing I noticed was the auto return valve sometimes pops off at the end of the push stroke. Doesn't seem to mater when, hot, cold, sometimes 3-4 times in a row, some days once, go figure:confused:

thats an easy adjustment with the screws under the plastic caps. tighten it up a little at a time untill that stops

Many Many firewood guys can split and load via a 24' conveyor 2+ full cord per hour as long as the blocks are near the splitter I have even seen 3 full cord under perfect conditions.

The TW5 is a money making machine if you are willing to work.

Scott

I believe that, what Im having a difficult time with is saying that one guy can split 20 face cord in one day with a speedco.

see ya learn something every day, I didnt know that. I dont think it adresses that in the owners book

I have a homemade splitter copy of a Northern with a 4 way and conveyor.With me splitting and him stacking in the trailer,we are able to do right around 1 cord per hour.

Milkie that is really hammering !!!!! I actually bought my tw5 with the intention of the exact setup twincam showed, the tw5 will produce. Before I bought my processor years ago, it was exaclty the way I started out, fooll proof so to speak, but I on;t know that I ever reached 1 cord an hour, I can;t do that with the processor I have now, but it is no where near as fast as my TW processor was either, just about 45k cheaper in the long run for the entire set up. The tw5 stays home until I end up with a pile of butts than up she goes to the lot to make my own firewood, I seem to have a great difficulty in using the material brought in for proessing and resale for my own.

Milkie that is really hammering !!!!! I actually bought my tw5 with the intention of the exact setup twincam showed, the tw5 will produce. Before I bought my processor years ago, it was exaclty the way I started out, fooll proof so to speak, but I on;t know that I ever reached 1 cord an hour, I can;t do that with the processor I have now, but it is no where near as fast as my TW processor was either, just about 45k cheaper in the long run for the entire set up. The tw5 stays home until I end up with a pile of butts than up she goes to the lot to make my own firewood, I seem to have a great difficulty in using the material brought in for proessing and resale for my own.

if you set the splitter, conveyor right next to the pile you can do 1 cord an hour, problem is after a couple hrs the pile is 20 ft from the splitter. So 1 cord an hour is a hard average. you can either take time to move the whole set up closer, or hump the big rounds over to it. It slows down from there. Hell lets face it, its ass busting work, but its fun. I dont sell wood, so who cares if we dont do a cord an hour. Ive had four splitter in my wood burnning life ( 35 years) the set up I have is by far the fastest and easiest. I paid 6 for the TW-5 new and the conveyor 3 used. I think I could get close to what I paid if i wanted to sell the whole outfit

Last edited:
YOu are not kidding, that is realy hammering, but like you said, fun and a good excuse to play with the toys, I mean run the machines. YOu got a great deal on the equipment, I bought mine this year - just the splitter that is, and it was almost 10k, all the bells and whistles of course, log lift, auto cycle, table grate, hydraulic lift for the wedge, 4 way etc. I wish I could find a conveyor for that money, what a steal. I t it is a 24' if I am seeing it http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

its a 26 ft, top hydraulic drum drive. It was 3 years old, and the guy didnt take very good care of it. I had to repair the belt, change the hydraulic oil and filter. fix the cylinder on the lift system, gunk it and power wash it. It takes 30% of the work out of the job. eliminates one body also.

If you have a tractor that 3 point is definitely an option. They do not work off the tractor's hydraulics's but run off the pto,and I believe all the options come on the 3 point. TW 3 HD, last I checked was about 3000.00.

1 cord per hour

I will admit that 1 cord per hour is for the first cord.Pile moves back and then you have to move the whole shooting match.Wish I had a big enough tractor where I could just push the pile closer.

Back