• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Buying and selling with new members...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryanr2 said:
I took further steps to ensure by marrying someone short

I know how you feel Steven! My wife is 5'1 and I'm 6'7. Funny how things work out that way. We've got one son and one daughter. Im afraid my girl will turn out to be about 6'2 and my boy will end up at 5'3 or something! I guess you never know but it looks like she got all the height.

Bryanr2 said:

I know how you feel Steven! My wife is 5'1 and I'm 6'7. Funny how things work out that way. We've got one son and one daughter. Im afraid my girl will turn out to be about 6'2 and my boy will end up at 5'3 or something! I guess you never know but it looks like she got all the height.

I have a friend that is 6'11''. Owns a drywalling business. His son is 6'9'' and daughter is 6'6''. His wife might be 5'3''. It's alway funny seeing them together.

I've been buying, selling, and having work done here since 2010, and try and use as many sponsors as possible and guys still don't trust me, must be my atheist sig.

Dealing with new members is easy. Bill G has it down. USE THE TELEPHONE. If someone here is so secretive that they won't give you a number to call, they're probably being secretive for a reason. Call & hash it out on the phone. If the guy sounds like a tool, good chance he is. If it takes 50 tries to get ahold of him, he is probably only wanting to talk when nobody else (wife or worse MOM) is around to listen in. C'mon guys, use some sense here, and vet out your deals. Something that is too good to be true likely is. Nothing is a good deal if it turns out to be a scam.

I read way more than I post... heck I've been reading this site since 2009... but only registered recently. If ya'll put up a post count required for the tradin post, I'd probably never buy again lol !! I've bought 2 things recently here and both went very smoothly, a powerhead and those cannon bars . Maybe people should use the phone more often to conduct deals instead of internet? at least there you get some sort of feel about whats going on etc. I dunno =/ Plz don't ban the noobs from tradin post !!

I am new here, but not new to forums and buying/selling on them.. I have a few others I have been on for a several years and can provide proof of good feedback buying/selling...

I agree with those who posted that post count isn't always the best indicator of a person's character. Some people in other places I frequent have massive post counts that accumulate over a very short amount of time. Most of what they post is dribble. Then there are those who don't post nearly as much, when they do it is usually a bit more meaningful.

Others have suggested a "probationary" period. 3wheelerworld.com (one of my main hangouts) has implemented this type of rule. New members must have at least 10 posts and 2 months in before they can post anywhere but the new member intro and new member general sections. They can see the other categories, but cannot post in them. This has helped reduce scamming in the buying and selling of parts amongst the community. It seems that most people who are looking to rip someone off are generally not patient enough to wait the 2 months for full forum access.

And then there are those members who just don't buy or sell with new members without some special condtions.

It sucks getting ripped off.. I have been there myself. It is a risk we all take when we deal online unless it's someone we have personally met.

But I completely understand why this post was made... And as a new member here, if I were to attempt to buy something from the trading post, I would be more than willing to work with the seller on his/her terms within reason till I gain a reputation here.

I think of this site as your local "shot and a beer" joint. The locals here are very protective of their own. A traveller coming through on his way else where don't matter too much and should know his place in someone else's bar. Ya wanna come here and sell your snake oil, well ya gonna have problems as soon as you get "caught".

So, in short, you are a "new guy" until the locals say otherwise. When one of them can "stand" for you, then you ain't so new.

I have a friend that is 6'11''. Owns a drywalling business. His son is 6'9'' and daughter is 6'6''. His wife might be 5'3''. It's alway funny seeing them together.

I'm seeing a connection between this strange familial dynamic and the closely knitted family genetics of the South....

Ok, what that means, for you Southerners( specifically TN) is that y'all best be marrying outside y'all families.
Thats stuff don't happen up here in the edumacated North...we are way too sophisticated and mannered for that nonsense. Heck we don't even have banjos up this way !!!!

(Figured it was time for a good North/South type innerweb battle. ). o_O

Now for all you noobs, this is whats called "stirring the pot" . Its intention maybe to derail a thread as it has gone awry or it may be used to seem somewhat provocative. Either way it is purely in jest and nothing is meant by it personally.

Back