buying cylinder/pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Besides ebay and Bailey's, where do/would you buy a Stihl 044 cylinder/piston assembly? How do the aftermarket versions compare to the Stihl versions for the 044?

This saw has serial number 1 19 406 3xx (9 digits). Does this have the older style base or can it use the newer style cylinder with pressure release valve? Does only Stihl make the cylinders with the pressure release valve or do aftermarket makers have that also, that would fit this saw?

Thanks

Tom

I just rebuilt an 044, the piston pin diameter is the difference between the two different piston and cylinder kits. Both of the cylinders had a hole for the compression release and came with a plug and gasket if it was not needed. The kit cost me (from the Stihl dealer) $250.00.

In addition to my last post, Baileys did not have a kit available for my saw, it was an older model with the smaller piston pin diameter.

When I talked to Bailey's today, they said that this serial number saw would work with their aftermarket stuff, they believed. They said that this was a 9 digit serial number vs an 8 digit number. Does anyone know the significance of that?

Thanks

Tom

After Market

It seems to be the case that as long as a Stihl product is being manufactured you can't buy after market parts for it , hence they no longer make the small wrist pin 044 u can buy after market small wrist pin cyl. kits !

Latest posts

Back