Buying MS 362 today for $550 + tax....Should I do it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleyboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have been a member for a few years mostly a reader of some cool and interesting information and I really enjoy this site! i have been cutting firewood for a majority of my life and just encountered a great Stihl dealer that is selling a MS 362 for $550 + tax. I also can by an Echo CS-600P for $549 + tax. Incidentally, I own both Stihl and Echo- and happy with both. Reckon I am just asking for recommendations, thanks again and take care Y'all.

valleyboy

I say do it. IMO, Stihl is one of the best. Period. Everybody knows they last forever. I think youll be very happy you got it. And I also feel that you will really get your moneys worth. IMO, you just cant go wrong with a Stihl! So, early congrats on your new 362! BTW, there are other fine saws out there too. But you prolly have had your eye on a Stihl for a while, so just go for it man. Those saws are beautiful too!! Again, Congrats!!:rocker:

The apparent fit and finish isn't too great on that ECHO from what I saw. The choke lever sticks out like an two inches from the saw and is itching to get broken off.

Hillbilly22,

Dang, I just found out (same dealer)that I can buy a new Makita DCS 6401 for $370 plus tax but it will be in my hands approximately 1-2 weeks, but I need a mid-size saw like, yesterday. Lots of raves about the 'kita on this site. Reason being is that i am recently divorced and my ex, wants the large pile of eucalyptus and mesquite that hasn't been cut up to get up and stacked so our girls can again play in that area. problem is she wants it done this weekend and I move out the following weekend...so I am in a dilemma. The prices are right nice for both saws (Especially the 'kita). I may just place a order for the DCS 6401 and rent this same model at Home Depot and come out smelling like a rose... whatcha think?

valleyboy

Hillbilly22,

Dang, I just found out (same dealer)that I can buy a new Makita DCS 6401 for $370 plus tax but it will be in my hands approximately 1-2 weeks, but I need a mid-size saw like, yesterday. Lots of raves about the 'kita on this site. Reason being is that i am recently divorced and my ex, wants the large pile of eucalyptus and mesquite that hasn't been cut up to get up and stacked so our girls can again play in that area. problem is she wants it done this weekend and I move out the following weekend...so I am in a dilemma. The prices are right nice for both saws (Especially the 'kita). I may just place a order for the DCS 6401 and rent this same model at Home Depot and come out smelling like a rose... whatcha think?

valleyboy

I tell ya what; IMO,get a Makita 7900. you will love it. if he has one in stock get it. its worth the extra dollars. if not just go to a place and rent a saw. problem solved. but really, if going with makita get the 7900. :)

:):)
yeah, rent the 'kita and get a feel for it, then if you don't like it you'll know you did right gettin the Stihl!!!

exactly. I really dont think he will beat that Stihl though. Just if it were me and I were set on a Makita. I would just go ahead and get the 7900. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the other 'kita. :)

Last edited:
valleyboy,

if ya get a chance check out the thread by blsnelling entitled a tale of three saws. that is a beautiful 7900. and its truly awesome ported as it was...:)

Hillbilly22,

valleyboy

I've got both the DCS6401 and a MS361. Can't quite explain it, but the 6401 is the go to saw when I need a 20" bar. Plus there is a nice upgrade path, that 7900 OEM p/c or big bore kit. I'd buy a third 6401 if I could find one for $370. I'll try to explain why I like the 6401 better - Better starter, runs more consistantly, better antivibe (361 just feels "rough" in the cut, same stihl RSC chain that's on the 6401), more power. Don't really notice the weight difference.

Course maybe there is something wrong with my specific 361? Got a soso 361 and a great 6401?

Last edited:
I've got both the DCS6401 and a MS361. Can't quite explain it, but the 6401 is the go to saw when I need a 20" bar. Plus there is a nice upgrade path, that 7900 OEM p/c or big bore kit. I'd buy a third 6401 if I could find one for $370. I'll try to explain why I like the 6401 better - Better starter, runs more consistantly, better antivibe, more power. Don't really notice the weight difference.

Cool beans brother!! I just know I really liked the looks and power of that darn ported 7900 that Brad did the comparisons on. Man, that thing outran both a stock Stihl MS660 magnum and a Husqvarna 390!!:love1:

Valleyboy,

Son, theres a whole lot better people to get opinions from than me as to which saw you should go with. I think its great that you ask. Even intelligent. I just hope I was able to help ya.:) hang in there and have FUN choosing one

Valleyboy?....

What happened bro?! You just up and left us like a virgin on prom night brother!! Which saw did ya get? If somethin happened and ya didnt get one then thats cool too. Just wanderin what happened....:phone:

Last edited:
60cc saws don't get a whole lotta love on the site for the most part. Kind of a happy medium saw. As in, too small to be big abd too big to be small.

I don't see it that way. I love my ms361. I use that saw for 90% of my cutting. I would jump on that deal for the 362. The 362 has a little more power than the 361.

6400 kita is a good saw too. I'm a Stihl fan though so I will recommend Stihl. At least you know you're buying a saw that will last. :cheers:

I Got MY MS 362!!!!

Hey Folks,

Sorry to have left you (and my bud, hillbilly 22) all with a case of "Saw Ballz" but I finally got it!:clap::givebeer: Picked up my MS 362 for $550 + Tax. The Stihl Salesperson threw in 2 extra chains, a Stihl hat (like I need another hat, Haw!) quart bottle of bar oil and 2 bottles of mix- each bottle mixes with 2.5 gallons. I also bought a dozen files and a case. He is going to also be pricing me the 'Kita 6401 at around $370 + tax (new). Hope to buy the 'Kita BB from Bailey's and after the warranty runs out....Looks like Christmas may be coming soon. I' lll be able to try her out on Saturday (all day). I have a 2 questions, if ya'll be kind enough to provide me with input.

1. Do I break in my saw by working it like a rented mule or do I baby it? I have always run my saws hard but maintain them after each time I use them.

2. Do I need to start my saw by using the decompression valve? I have always started my Dad's Stihl 056 AV ( 84 cc's) and it doesn't have this feature.

any and all input will be appreciated- Thanks again for your input fellows and hope you have a great Friday and weekend!!

Regards,

valleyboy

Back