buying my first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl MS 170 Impressive little sucker
Some folks seems to hate this model..?? - - Same motor as on my ms192T...and it's my favorite saw.

Was a dude here a few months ago that showed a chitload of wood cut with a MS170...I mean "Serious" chitload..!!

Just sayin'...some folks love 'em and others hate 'em...maybe some are just built better than others..??..:dunno:
:cheers:
J2F

spend your money on a quality saw that being said I would definitely buy from a dealer find a good one with a decent selection of used saws, depending on whats local good bets would be 021, 023,024,025,026 these are stihls, 44, 50, 51 husky all are good models and should do what it sounds like you need to do nicely, many other models between 40-50cc range can't name them all but by all means if this is your first saw it would be best to buy from a good dealer dealer support can at times mean finishing what you started the same day instead of getting to finish some time next week.

Just my 2 cents

thx DarkTimber

ur comment about dealer support makes a lot of sense. especially since im a newbie and will probably have a lot of beginner's mishap

Some folks seems to hate this model..?? - - Same motor as on my ms192T...and it's my favorite saw.

Was a dude here a few months ago that showed a chitload of wood cut with a MS170...I mean "Serious" chitload..!!

Just sayin'...some folks love 'em and others hate 'em...maybe some are just built better than others..??..:dunno:
J2F

Some just worry about the pro saw vs. homeowner saw comparison more than others.

Welcome to A.S.

My comments are similar to what other guys have said, but tell us a little bit more.

If you are new to chainsaws, you probably want to buy something from a dealer who can offer advice, help you when needed, do repairs, etc. A lot of guys here on A.S. buy used saws and fix them, but that only works if you already know (and want) to do that stuff. If you are fairly new at that, start with a dealer that will work with you for a first saw.

Do you have someone who is going to help you learn to cut/use the saw safely? If so, find out what their brand preferences are, dealers they recommend, etc. A lot of times the best brand to choose is one that is serviced and supported locally.

Pick up an extra chain and find someone to teach you to sharpen. Also get yourself a pair of chaps, and basic safety gear (helmet, earmuffs, safety glasses, etc.).

Philbert

560 or 550?? After he took it apart i'm sure Husky told him to get lost.
You're talking 10 days...so I honestly can't remember if it was a Husky 550 or 560..??

He was saying that he put it back together perfectly...so how would Husky know he tore it down..??

But this is just what I am saying...whatever the end result was..the OP should have posted it..IMHO

It only takes a minute...whatever the decision was..just post it..so repliers know what end result was..??

It's well known I "eat more crow" than anyone else on this forum...(some have even sent recipes)..

But when things go wrong...I'll post it....."you can't win if you don't bet...but always cut your losses short..!!)
J2F

thx for all ur comments

local dealers are husq, stihl and echo. the 3 main ones you guys recommended.

some of u are saying for the same money I should go for one of those brands' used and not a regular new home owner grade. so paying dealers a visit seems like the wise thing to do. dealer reputation will be harder to assess.

still don't know what characteristics I should be looking for. a lot of u suggested longer bar than what I anticipated, could u please explain why longer is better? I am assuming a longer bar/chain requires a more powerful engine. How do I know if the engine is sufficient for that specific length?

im in Quebec City

had to google Princess Auto. closest one in Ottawa. Pretty far away.

brings another question. Refurbs?

Right in the city or Ste. Foy? Unless you are comfortable tinkering with tools, it would be better to buy through a local OPE dealer. They sometimes have used models that were traded in for newer ones, and they usually warranty those for 30-90 days. I stay away from refurbs unless the shop has a good warranty/return policy... which Princess Auto does. The only internet sales I trust are ones that are from, or recommended by, AS members.

The MS170 with case and extra chain is pretty hard to beat for $199 when Stihl offers it. That's almost like spending for a refurb but getting new with warranty. The little Dolmars (PS-350/351 or 420/421) can be found for in and around $300 if you have a dealer around. They are built very well.

Right in the city or Ste. Foy? Unless you are comfortable tinkering with tools, it would be better to buy through a local OPE dealer. They sometimes have used models that were traded in for newer ones, and they usually warranty those for 30-90 days. I stay away from refurbs unless the shop has a good warranty/return policy... which Princess Auto does. The only internet sales I trust are ones that are from, or recommended by, AS members.

The MS170 with case and extra chain is pretty hard to beat for $199 when Stihl offers it. That's almost like spending for a refurb but getting new with warranty. The little Dolmars (PS-350/351 or 420/421) can be found for in and around $300 if you have a dealer around. They are built very well.

im in beauport. more towards the east end of quebec city. the cottage is actually in baie-st-paul, about an hour east.

My concern with the STIHL MS 170 for the OP is that it is small for an 'all around' saw. Most people will recommend a 50 cc saw, with a 16 inch bar, for general purpose use. Trust that you will find lots of stuff to cut with it.

Look for a 45 to 50 cc saw by STIHL, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, Poulan, Echo, or whichever dealer you choose to go with.

And keep in mind that you asked about a 'first saw', which on this site, means 'first of several'!

Philbert

one of my comments seems to have gotten lost!

so local dealers in B-S-P are husq, stihl, and echo

u guys suggest I should consider one of those brands' used over a new "regular" home owner. so paying those dealers a visit seems like the wise thing to do. dealer reputation will be harder to assess.

still don't know what to look for. some of u suggested longer bar. why would that be better? im assuming a longer bar/chain needs a more powerful engine. How do I know its strong enough?

My concern with the STIHL MS 170 for the OP is that it is small for an 'all around' saw. Most people will recommend a 50 cc saw, with a 16 inch bar, for general purpose use. Trust that you will find lots of stuff to cut with it.

Look for a 45 to 50 cc saw by STIHL, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, Poulan, Echo, or whichever dealer you choose to go with.

And keep in mind that you asked about a 'first saw', which on this site, means 'first of several'!

Philbert

thx philbert

first of several.... lol... I can easily grasp from some other threads I read that most of you have more than one.

my expectation is to cut down some trees in the near future, to make a bit of room around the cottage. but it should quiet down after that. doubt ill need more than one. but never say never... right ! so for now im thinking more of an all around saw.

Aside from recommending a MS 250...as you'll probably never hear from the 'newbie' again..!

Like...whatever happened to Husky 550 dude with the strangely scored cylinder...??

It's been a week or 10 days..and NO reply back as to what Husky and owner settled on..??
- - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - -- -- -- - -
I just get irritated when 'newbies' come to site and ask questions..get answers..then just gone.

Now...nothing against this dude...but Just Sayin'...it just happens too often...soo some chose to not reply.
(it only takes a minute to just post a .."thank you" for replies)

And....Blame 'Fish' for this post...I basically only did the typing..
J2F
FINE! i'll go :too_sad: LATER!!!!................................................................., not

Philbert

Will echo (no pun intended) Philbert.
Going to a dealer for your first saw is not a bad idea. And don't be afraid to visit all the dealers in your immediate area.. Find the one that you feel most comfortable with, regardless of brand. If you buy one of the major brands from the dealer you're most comfortable with, you really can't go wrong IMO..
And yes, 'first of several'... :hmm3grin2orange:

MS250 or a similer sized J-red.

I tend too run from the other orange saw (Husky) Theres no logical reason for it though since J-red and Husky are the same now.

Don't get one of those 100 dollar jobs that Wal-Mart/ Canadain tire sells.

Ok to skip the big brands lets look at the one of the best you can buy for the money.

Redmax 3800 - 37.2cc and it rips with a 14in bar! I just removed a base gasket and muffler mod and it was pushing 180psi! Best quality cast cylinders and pistons I have ever seen. Redmax was the first to make stratto saws and had such success that husky bought them out to have the stratto design themselves. The engines are made by Zenoah out of Japan and are highly coveted by guys that fly model planes. The power to weight ratio is extraordinary! Price you ask for such a awesome saw... $230 brand new off eBay. The only down side is near by dealers and parts. Parts can be acquired via Internet easy enough and they are super reliable on top of it. For the power you won't find a lighter saw that you can cut with all day... 9.1 lbs!

found VMinnovation for 172$, not too sure its a good idea to buy from internet though

thx

Much better buy than some pricy puppy stihl, IMO. The 250, for its displacement, acts like the brake is dragging.

I'm 3-for-3 with VMInnovations, and would go back in a heartbeat. The 435 Husqy would work for you.

At least around SW CT, dealers are a joke, a really un-funny joke. Just want your money, and don't deliver. Some simply incompetent, with a shmear of arrogance. They'd only be of interest to you for parts, and you can get better prices online. Note that stihl tries to block online parts sales & access to basic info, like IPLs.

Dealers are very likely to let you down on warranty coverage too, so the "buy new with warranty" thing just serves to pry $$ from you. Do NOT go to them for chain sharpening, another joke. Learn to use guided file.

Typically you can get much better info on maintaining/repairing a saw here than with a dealer. Extreme few here are trying to get their hands in your wallet. :msp_w00t:

RedMax makes some really great saws, like my GZ4000. Only problem is dependency on dealer for things like routine carb adjustment. Last incompetent dealer monkey left carb adjusters free for me to adjust, so at least I could lean both 1/2+ turn and not asphyxiate the local wildlife. Not making that up. It screams again, with proper 4-stroking. (You'll want to know what this means, eventually.)

The GZ4000, properly adjusted, makes the 250 stihl look really wimpy, and stinky.

Last edited:
Back