buying my first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have any land with your cottage you will want to clean up blow downs and thin out crowded trees. Maybe heat with wood or at least a enjoy a fire pit. That saw may get more use than you originally intended. Once you take down that first tree, you will want to do another.
You would be wise to invest in a good quality saw. There have been some very good choices suggested, the rest is up to you. You get what you pay for.

thx for all ur comments

my plan to buy is not an urgent one. just wondering, is there a time of year I might want to wait for. when are dealers more likely to have deals and promos?

thx for all ur comments . . . my plan to buy is not an urgent one.

If you have time, try to get your hands on as many saws you can. See what feels right, what features you like, get an idea about weight, bar length, etc. Visit shops. Ask your neighbors. Maybe rent a saw.

It will help you decide what's right for you.

Philbert

From the dealers you mentioned, I would look at the ms 250, the 445 husky, or the cs 450 echo. These 45cc models should have enough power for what you are describing and can run a 16" bar which I think would work well for what you are going to do. If you happen to find a dolmar dealer, the 421 would be a good option as well.

thx for all ur comments

my plan to buy is not an urgent one.

Just remember, the sooner you buy that first saw, the sooner your new found friend CAD makes it's presence known. You can thank us all later:hmm3grin2orange:

Since it sounds like you're primarily going to be in softwoods, you can go with a little less displacement on your first and still have good performance. Being your first saw, lower power is a good thing until you get more comfortable. And yes, make sure to budget for some safety gear.

stay away from 100 saws,,,, go with a good saw in either huskie or stihl,,, spend the extra money for a good saw

goodadvise but small pine did someone mention an ported eartquake yet?

edit: if your willing to try used saw a husky 51/55 will last you and can be found any day of the week.

Last edited:
edit: if your willing to try used saw a husky 51/55 will last you and can be found any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

2 reliable -rugged saws. I can't even count the cords of wood my 55 has been through over the years. They are one tough saw, and it has never failed me.

as a total newbie, this is like Chinese to me

please explain

Inside joke here, but not really a joke. A chinese chainsaw named the earthquake was available last year for like 35 dollars, or similar very cheap. Lot of members here got some to try out as a joke and found them surprisingly good after some tweaks.

edit: Here ya go!

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/214984.htm

Last edited:
found VMinnovation for 172$, not too sure its a good idea to buy from internet though

thx

They are a decent little saw and priced right. The only problem is most arrive out of tune or the idle isn't set properly so they need tweaking out of the gate. Price in a $25 to $30 service call as well if you don't have the special tool and knowledge to do it yourself

Don't forget to budget $180 for chaps, a helmet, files, wedges, etc. Felling trees is dangerous, getting advice from some one who truly knows what they are doing is priceless and can help you avoid serious injury.

especially since I'm a newbie and will probably have a lot of beginner's mishap

You can't think like that. By stating you'll "probably have lots of beginner mishaps" your reenforcing in your subconscious mind that you WILL make a lot of mistakes. A chainsaw is the wrong tool for that mindest.

Every time I pick up my saw I say to myself, I am running my chainsaw and I am incredibly mindful of my footing, my surroundings and my saw. With thoughts like these I am creating a positive mindset that is becoming a habit every time I pick up my saw. I come from 20 plus year as a rock climber and the thinking process of accepting responsibility for my life and the lives of those I climb with. The same responsible mindset is just as necessary with a saw.

Pick up a copy of Jeff Jepsom's book "To Fell a Tree". Read and embrace the learning curve.

Check out this video about dropping a tree.

Cut Down a Tree Safely - YouTube

Best of luck with your new tool.

You can't think like that. By stating you'll "probably have lots of beginner mishaps" your reenforcing in your subconscious mind that you WILL make a lot of mistakes. A chainsaw is the wrong tool for that mindest.

Every time I pick up my saw I say to myself, I am running my chainsaw and I am incredibly mindful of my footing, my surroundings and my saw. With thoughts like these I am creating a positive mindset that is becoming a habit every time I pick up my saw. I come from 20 plus year as a rock climber and the thinking process of accepting responsibility for my life and the lives of those I climb with. The same responsible mindset is just as necessary with a saw.

Pick up a copy of Jeff Jepsom's book "To Fell a Tree". Read and embrace the learning curve.

Check out this video about dropping a tree.

Cut Down a Tree Safely - YouTube

Best of luck with your new tool.

You have it exactly, you have to self program yourself for success, not failure.

IMHO..

Being new to saws, I would buy the largest Husky you could afford and go from there.
Being that you have a Dealer close (must be nice)....
I love my baby Husky 235, but I have bigger saws to handle the bigger bucking, felling ect...

gouf63

As I understand it you are asking how do you know if the saw has enough power. I think it's a great question not being a pro myself but finding that I needed to cut firewood to make money go a little farther. I think Tallguys suggestion of 3cc's per inch is a pretty good guide. It is true that several of the major brands excede that most likely a marketing thing. I think what you'd find is that those saws would run much better with a shorter bar and chain.

I bought a Huqvarna 350 used and it ended up that it needed rebuilt. So, while that saw was down I ended up giving the 455 with autotune a shot. The autotune is nice for me since I don't have to worry about it being tuned correctly. But since I've rebuilt my 350(with information I learned on here) I find myself going back to the 350 almost every time.

I should mention the 350 is 50cc with a 16 inch bar. The 455 is 55cc with 20 inch bar. But if i had it to do again I think I would have spent the extra $100 when I got the 455 and bought the 550xp. But hey Jack that's just me.

Might I gently suggest looking at a somewhat larger saw? I recently went through a similar debate to the one you're facing. I need a saw for occasional use, and I pretty much need it to do everything because I wasn't planning to buy more than one saw, while looking for the long-term.

A long term solution, to me, meant the ability to handle somewhat larger wood, if necessary. With that in mind, it seems that it's tough to depend on only one saw if it's much less than, say, a 50cc saw. Others may prove me wrong, but, as a casual observer, it seems to me that 50cc is one of the more versatile engine classes. I think you'll find that most 50-55cc saws can be fitted with a 20" bar and chain, albeit they may underperform in hardwood, they will get through it, and you won't break the bank to acquire the saw. At least around here, 20" will get through most everything that would need cutting, and it's nice to have the ability to go to that size when needed, while the majority of the remaining work can be done with a 16"-18" setup. I think you'll also find that most 50-55cc or so saws aren't especially heavy, so it's possible to do smaller work and limbing with them, especially once fitted with the appropriate length bar and chain.

So, if you're willing to handle a little more weight in exchange for a little more capacity, I think you may be happier in the long run if this saw is to be the only saw you plan to own.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back