Buying new MS660 vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl hasn't replaced the 660 because they wanted to build a better saw, they were forced to design a new model to meet emissions standards. That being the case and working within constraints, the newer model may not be as good as the old. I have joined this site mainly to find out what i can about the 661 before i buy one, because i still have the choice to buy a 660.
Keep reading - you've missed significant amounts of material about how 066/660 port timing has changed over the years and the saw has been strangled to meet emission rulings.
Notice that a couple of people have said how a 440 would be as quick as a 660 in 20" wood? That's pretty telling.
If you still aren't sure, find a second hand 066/064 and give it a run. You could try it for 6 months and sell it again. All it would cost you is the filters, hose, sprocket that you would replace on almost any second hand saw. Maybe $100nzd max and an hour of your time?

As to a 20" bar on a 90cc saw, I'd just grab an 8pin sprocket and try it with the shorter bar. That's what I do when I run a 24" on my husky 385.

Keep reading - you've missed significant amounts of material about how 066/660 port timing has changed over the years and the saw has been strangled to meet emission rulings.
Notice that a couple of people have said how a 440 would be as quick as a 660 in 20" wood? That's pretty telling.
If you still aren't sure, find a second hand 066/064 and give it a run. You could try it for 6 months and sell it again. All it would cost you is the filters, hose, sprocket that you would replace on almost any second hand saw. Maybe $100nzd max and an hour of your time?

As to a 20" bar on a 90cc saw, I'd just grab an 8pin sprocket and try it with the shorter bar. That's what I do when I run a 24" on my husky 385.
Thanks for the advice. I already have an old 660 that needs replacing. It's been an awesome saw and have been hesitant about the change. In Australia our saws might not be as choked up as yours are over there. Hoping to find someone that has been using a 661 for a few months that can give an account.

31ktUeAXOWL._SX425_.jpg

Concrete. lol MS201 not a big hit.......hehe. Wood on the ground is the bottom line that's all....snag ya an MS660 they do a fine job. And for one reason or another, they will be in demand for another 20 years.

Latest posts

Back