Buying used saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btohlen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is about buying a used saw. I'm am not a saw wizard, but know my way around. Is ebay to be avoided? Is compression the best judge of overall condition? View of piston through muffler port? What else should I look for. I definitely feel more confident shopping in person, but I don't often come across 70+ cc saws to check out. Maybe I just need to shop around more...

Prior to my recent move, I bought used saws all the time, often times in groups of 10 or more. If they are cheap enough I don't care what type of condition they may be in. If I am buying a more expensive saw I would want to check the P&C, clutch, starter, decomp, AV mounts, etc.

I have gotten many a good used saw for relatively little money.

Just for Chris J and Thomas1, I thought I would show this example I got last weekend.

Mac610005.jpg

Last edited:
Ebay is a great place to Sell a Saw. Lots of bidders prices usually go high. And you get the saw in a week. Which is Quick. Craigslist is a much better place to buy. Usually better prices and you can see it/ Run it first. Pawn shops are also a great place to find saws, It takes some time but I have found some deals. Good luck and be patient. Just a note if you find a screaming good deal on something you want from craigslist. GET IT NOW, Dont ask the seller to hold it til tomorrow or after soccer practice. If you believe its a great deal so will others. No good will come from this. They will either sell to someone who is willing to drive out now. Or Give the seller a sob story when they say they already sold it and waiting for you to pick up. Or lastly they realize that with this many calls on one item it must be priced to cheap. Again go now to pick it up. Or be disappointed. A little story about a new chainsaw that was half price. I wanted the saw it was across town about 40 miles. Guy offered to hold it for me till the morning. That morning I called him up and he said he was sorry but he sold it to a man who had a big tree that fell across his driveway and this saw was the only one that was going to work. The buyer also said his wifes car was trapped. Seems fortunite for the guy with the tree that this guy was selling then and there. If you wait, You will be disappointed.

i have bought many used ones and have never been disappointed,, i just got a 372xp of fleabay a couple of weeks ago and it was in super shape,, everyone told me i stole it for 225.00,, i just got lucky,, but not a thing wrong with buying them used

Prior to my recent move, I bought used saws all the time, often times in groups of 10 or more. If they are cheap enough I don't care what type of condition they may be in. If I am buying a more expensive saw I would want to check the P&C, clutch, starter, decomp, AV mounts, etc.

I have gotten many a good used saw for relatively little money.

Just for Chris J and Thomas1, I thought I would show this example I got last weekend.

Mac610005.jpg

I'll give you a nickel if you tell me why I keep seeing this picture over and over.

Chris

I've picked up quite a few saws from e-bay and craigslist. Not many issues with e-bay, and the few issues I've had have been taken care of by the seller to my satisfaction. Just make sure you've got a firm shipping price before you purchase.

On craigslist I've done okay and even had a couple sellers ship to me.

I usually negotiate a price before I head out to pick up the unit so I know what I'm going to be paying.

I'll give you a nickel if you tell me why I keep seeing this picture over and over.

Chris

Dunno,,maybe he's proud of what he paid for a couple boat anchors and a mini mac most would throw away ??
did he ever say what he paid for those three ??
i drove 50 miles wend to deliver a saw to a buyer and he gave me these for making the trip,free is even better,why PAY ??

attachment.php

the 750 runs but needs a clutch,the jred 450 needs a recoil starter,the jred 820(?) needs a piston.
but he probly got a better deal on the three yeller ones :)

I usually negotiate a price before I head out to pick up the unit so I know what I'm going to be paying.

I would not make an offer on an item I am going to buy in person without looking it over first. Too much of a chance it might not be as represented plus I love striking a good bargain.

As said i think best bet is CL,go right away as stated and you get to touchy feely and run the saw..

You haven't said what size and brand you are looking for. I've bought 2 new saws from Ebay (346xp and 200T), and got really good deals.

Used is always a crap shoot. I avoid the used commercial saws and look for mint condition saws selling below 60% of new price. Great deals are out there if your patient and act swiftly when the opportunity arises.

I have never bought a new saw myself. Some of mine have come from Ebay but the largest part has come from running a wanted ad on CL. I pick up anywhere from 1-20+ saws, sort them as to what can be saved, sale some as parts, get a few running before selling and do some horse trading with fellow members. I can not say my method will work for everyone but I have gone from owning junk to owning many nice major brand saws.

I have only one experience and it is great so far.
I bought a husky 372XP on ebay and got it last night.
It started on second pull and not a scratch on it. $625.00
I took it to an old friend that must have 20 saws and has been a logger for years.
His exact words "you better send that guy a gift, you stole it" after further examination
"this is the original chain and this saw is not even broke in yet"

So i guess it depends what you buy, i have seen some real junkers on there also.

I have bought 3 used saws in the last year. 2 eBay and one CL. I approached all as needing a complete rebuild and arrived at my bid/offer based on that "worst case scenario." All turned out to be good deals, maybe I'm just lucky.

I've bought quite a few saws off of Ebay and CL. Bid conservative on Ebay, and look at past transactions with the seller. I wouldnt advise using Ebay for most, but there are deals from time to time. You cant be overly cautious on Ebay, and like I said earlier... bid conservative (it may be a while before you win an auction, just be patient) and research the seller.
Stihl saws tend to bring the strongest resale, but there are some models that get overlooked. 028's can be had for a fair price, and are a fine saw for their displacement. If you are looking for a big saw.... GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, i am looking for something on the bigger side... husky xp or maybe a 440... seems like you could spend 200 more and get a brand new 372 for what they are going for on ebay

I have only one experience and it is great so far.
I bought a husky 372XP on ebay and got it last night.
It started on second pull and not a scratch on it. $625.00
I took it to an old friend that must have 20 saws and has been a logger for years.
His exact words "you better send that guy a gift, you stole it" after further examination
"this is the original chain and this saw is not even broke in yet"

So i guess it depends what you buy, i have seen some real junkers on there also.

i got the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago off fleabay,,same condition,,, but i stole it for 225.00,,, sorry i had to rub it in:D:D

Yeah, i am looking for something on the bigger side... husky xp or maybe a 440... seems like you could spend 200 more and get a brand new 372 for what they are going for on ebay

Yep, glad you noticed that too. All saws have a stronger resale this time of year on the bay. If you arent in a rush, you will more than likely see lower ending prices here in a few months.

Latest posts

Back