By goodness, unseasoned ash does burn well...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well theyah!... yah, yah (while intake of breath on the Yah's):)

It's really the only wood that has this ability. Obviously it is better seasoned than green but none the less, has been the savior of many a family in a long cold wintah! Ohhhh ayah. :cheers: When ever I come across some (green) I'll try and keep it separate and stack it into the barn with the kindling slabs.

My last cutting was in December. Downed ash. Split the same day and brought it into the barn, kept seperate as my "just in case" stash.

PS - you guys up they-ah talk funny. Even moreso as you get closah to Bah Hubbah. ;) I'm still trying to figure out how you get north by going down east. (JK I know it's some sort of nautical thing :))

My last cutting was in December. Downed ash. Split the same day and brought it into the barn, kept seperate as my "just in case" stash.

PS - you guys up they-ah talk funny. Even moreso as you get closah to Bah Hubbah. ;) I'm still trying to figure out how you get north by going down east. (JK I know it's some sort of nautical thing :))

Yep ha,ha, I guess the downeast deal came from the coastal schooners WB. They took loads of timber too Boston or anywhere else and on the way home, the prevailing winds (from the west) would allow them too "coast or sail downhill (wing and wing)" all the way back. No need too tack and no beating too windward. They'd set out all the canvas they had as wide as they could spread it and make tracks homeward.

When I first bought this old place up here (20 years ago), my nearest neighbor was an old woman of 93. She had been born and raised in the same house she was still living in until she died at 101. She told me that as a young girl, one could board a ship right here down the road a half mile too anywhere on earth. Most times you'd change ships somewhere (Portland, Boston, London even) but it just amazed me too imagine all the sailing ships (and steamers) that plied the waters here. Got some great old photo's too.
:cheers:

Heeew weee, cut a big ash on sat. and had it in the OWB before sundown. That's like catchin fish in the morning and eating them for lunch. Kinda, I got a serious big load (stacked ) in the dump. So heavy I left the chipper behind. Sunday I went back for the rest of the logs, the dump was stacked 2 high with 20" rounds. When I got home I was thinking what the Fiskar would do on the green ash. Well, I smacked those rounds for about 20 min. all done. :clap:
What a great weekend !!!!!

LT...

:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back