CAD and small saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I thought I was mostly immunized with CAD with the only saw I thought I'd pick up was a third 7900 to stock pile.

But then I starting playing with small saws and it flared up.

Bought a redmax 3200 CV (which I really like), then a 346NE (which I love), then a 339NE (which I am mixed on) and now I've bought a redmax 3800 and 4000 on ebay to try them out. The 3800 because they are going away and the 4000 because if the seller is giving it to me straight a like new 4000 for $140 seemed like a good time to try one out. I don't buy much from ebay and hope I don't regret it (haven't received them yet).

The other problem with small saws is that carving bars are pushing a $100 a pop.

I am still kind of thinking of trying a 200 (read handle), but I have heard some report they are a little buzzy in the hands and that is problem for me with some saws. For $600, I would rather try one first, and no dealer around here seems to stock them.

All my saws have stock mufflers as I don't want the extra volume, esp when running saws non stop (literally) for a few hrs at a time. Too bad I can't tolerate the extra noise, as I am sure these little saws would wake up with a muffler mod.

Last edited:
My 335 is a great one handed saw. I'm not into chainsaw carving but I would think it would work good for that.

Last edited:
small saw cad is nipn at me to. ive had my eye out for a project 346 and i may have found one. ive been concentrating on the husky dealers the last couple of weeks found a few dealers that might be willing to get rid of some saws , might

the guy i need to talk to is never at either dealer when im there

Nobody can beat ECHO in the small saw category. They start easy and run forever. The CS-305/306 and CS-345/346 are great little saws. The CS-341 is "tops" for a top handle saw. I love the new CS-370 and CS-400, they run great and look really well made. They have not been around long enough to know if they will last for decades, but if they are anything like the older ECHO saws, they will. I see a lot of carvers in my area using them. They make some decent big saws too.

Haven't received the gz4000, but got the 3800 a couple days ago. Only have about 6 or 7 tanks through it yet, but here are first impressions.

Reasonably smooth and civilized. Starts very easily both cold and warm.

A little slow to rev to max, but not an issue in actual use.

No adjustable oiler is a bit of a problem because I would use it mostly with a carving bar and it really puts out the oil.

Inside throat of air filter get dirtier than any other of my saws even in two tanks. Not sure if it leaks or it is simply that is looks like a very coarse mesh.

Haven't put a clock to it, but it seems to blow through a tank in less than 15 minutes. Surprising, as the tank capacity is not that tiny for the size of the saw-thirsty sucker.

It will be interesting to see how the gz4000 runs, back to back. Eventually I will do some comparisons back to back with the 3800, 4000 and my 339ne. (All stock.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back