Cad STRIKES!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I went to a steam engine show/flea market today and a couple saws followed me home.

Saws2.jpg

Saw1.jpg

I got the 10-10 for $24 after haggling with a grouchy old lady, working her down from $25, she wouldn't take $20. It seems to be all there, although a bit rough, I poured some mix in the tank when I got home but couldn't get it to fire, will investigate more tomorrow.

The SXL-AO is not as good of news, it's locked up tight, but I only gave the guy $10 for it, the bar, chain and bar cover are worth that and I can part out the rest.

Some other pics from the show.

Saws4.jpg

Saws3.jpg

This guy wasn't selling any of these saws, :( was just showing them off. Theres a Wright blade saw, a C-5, a few other big Homies, looks like two Remmingtons and a huge old Sears the guy said was a real brute.

And lastly some mill and engine pics.

Sawmill4.jpg

Sawmill3.jpg

sawmill1.jpg

They were running a shingle mill with a pair of 1/2 scale replica steam tractors, was pretty neat.
\

How many people did you freak out.............

BTW, the Mac 10-10 is a good saw, lots of grunt:clap:

Don't give up on that homie just yet. I found one sitting by someones trashcan and since I had another I figured it would be a good parts saw. Well it was locke up too but I was able to pull the cylinder and it was only locked from sitting. I went ahead and threw in some new rings while I had it apart and now it runs better than my other one. Theres lot's of reasons that it could be locked up that don't preclude getting running again. Then again maybe it is torched.

Don't give up on that homie just yet. I found one sitting by someones trashcan and since I had another I figured it would be a good parts saw. Well it was locke up too but I was able to pull the cylinder and it was only locked from sitting. I went ahead and threw in some new rings while I had it apart and now it runs better than my other one. Theres lot's of reasons that it could be locked up that don't preclude getting running again. Then again maybe it is torched.

Yeah, I figure for $10 I can't really lose, better than drinking it away at a bar.

Bump.

Well I went out and messed with the SXL, pulled the clutch cover off and put a socket on the clutch nut, and got it broke free! It turned over a bit hard by the rope, so I pulled the plug and poured some 2 stroke oil down the hole and pulled it over about 20x and it loosened right up. So then I thought try some mixed gas down the carb, and what do ya know, it fired up! It belched some smoke something fierce before it puttered out. So then I thought try and get it to run off tank gas, to I filled up the tank and pulled it over a few times and it fired up! I actually had to use the kill switch to shut it down! I think it seized up from just sitting a long time, otherwise it wouldn't have freed up like that. Any harm in running 50:1 with Stihl HP Ultra oil?

I got an ol' circle sawmill like that but it isn't belt driven.

They are neat but hard work.

I got an ol' circle sawmill like that but it isn't belt driven.

They are neat but hard work.

Yeah that shingle mill keeps 5 guys going nonstop, one working each engine, two working the log sled and hold-down clamps and another cutting logs to length (he was using an old Mac from the looks of it) and moving them in with a forklift.

Bump.

Well I went out and messed with the SXL, pulled the clutch cover off and put a socket on the clutch nut, and got it broke free! It turned over a bit hard by the rope, so I pulled the plug and poured some 2 stroke oil down the hole and pulled it over about 20x and it loosened right up. So then I thought try some mixed gas down the carb, and what do ya know, it fired up! It belched some smoke something fierce before it puttered out. So then I thought try and get it to run off tank gas, to I filled up the tank and pulled it over a few times and it fired up! I actually had to use the kill switch to shut it down! I think it seized up from just sitting a long time, otherwise it wouldn't have freed up like that. Any harm in running 50:1 with Stihl HP Ultra oil?

Yup told ya never count out those old xl12's they are tough ba$tards. It makes what you paid for it an even better deal. Just my 2 cents, but I would run 32:1 mix especially after sitting like that. Have fun withit.

Thanks Hoss. Maybe I will just drizzle a bit more HP Ultra oil into the tank and slosh it around a bit. I think pouring oil down the plug home and turning it over helped it alot, there is still a lot of extra oil in the crankcase. I should probably mix up a can of about 35:1 for all my older stuff, that way the 32:1 and 40:1 stuff will be happy.

The 10-10 I got says it needs 20:1. Does it really need to be that rich?

Gots the 10-10 running, sorta, it kinda runs like rectum. I think a new fuel filter would help. Does anyone know a lot about the Walbro SDC carbs? There seems to be a weird adjustment screw I dunno what it does.

I have fixed several locked up xl-12 saws by removing the flywheel and tightening the bolt on the ignition assembly that vibrated out into the flywheel.

Oh I guess I forgot to mention, I got the SXL freed up, it wasn't stuck bad at all, and now it runs like a champ! I've cut about a cord with it so far since getting it going again. The Mac is being more of a drama queen.

Run em around 40:1 or 45:1. The old saws had to run on old oil technology. The newer oils are way better. The more oil in the mixture, the less gas. That means lean on fuel. Check out Madsens1.com, they have a lot of good tips on fuel and oil for saws. In fact, they have a lotta tips about a lotta saw stuff.

Back