Calibrated eyeballs for exact 18" cuts ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just eyeball the log, and err on the short side whenever I second guess myself. Usually I end up within a couple inches either way.

I cut with Nuzzy who uses one of those cute Mingo markers.

It works great! Just poops a little paint dot exactly at whatever length it's set at. Neat tool that would make any Anal retentive and house proud dutchman Happy with perfect wood piles.

Drove me nuts on a gnarly Elm though, somehow, the thing marked every crotch on the tree, and it removes any artistic expression concerning cutting around a compressed portion.
Just sucked the fun right outta things IMO.

Cuttin' wood ain't cabinet work.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 :greenchainsaw:

I pretty much just eyeball it. I start early on with the saw turning method but after a few cuts, I've got the eyeballs set for length. It does seem that the longer the day goes on and the more in a hurry I am to get done the longer the logs seem to get.

Perfect Cut Firewood Guide
attachment.php

I have used the cut-off guide mounted on the bar nuts (homemade), marking long stretches of log, eyeball, etc. Currently I carry a 16" stick in my left hand (someone else does this too I see). Not recommended as one really can't hold the saw properly with a stick in the hand but I do it.

Mark long sections of the log in advance - doesn't work well as one has to make adjustments due to crotches, crooked logs, etc. When you make the first adjusstment all your marks are useless.

Eyeball: Been cutting over 30 years and still can't gauge it. Smaller the wood the longer I cut, bigger the wood, shorter I cut.

Marker on saw - best for quick work but is awkward. I don't use my homemade one now as my saws are not Stihl and they ahve the indented bar nut groove - it doesn't fit in there.

Harry K

Like most others, i just use my bar to juge..... However I also like to cut say 20% of my wood to shorter lengths so i can really pack the wood in for the over-night burn... I pack it in tight into the sides......

18" bar on the saw....

rotate saw 90 degrees after first cut and see where end of bar is, thats where you have to cut the log...

repeat

etc

works out quite well and you dont have to mark or carry something extra.

:cheers:

:agree2:LOL, I thought that I was the only one who does it like that

Eye ball here, but being a fisherman I eye ball them for 18'' so I get 16'' and 22'' so I get 20'' for the bigger stove.:hmm3grin2orange:

I cut to 24". Like others here, I know about where 24" is on my saw from the tip of the bar and eyeball it. Screw the exact length thing...way too much time involved to worry about that. If the wind doesn't manage to blow your stack down, your just gonna burn the stuff anyway. Just don't cut it too long cause it's hard to get the stove door shut.

If it fits in my stove I don't care. Why worry about it being precise if you're just going to burn it up. I can understand cutting it uniform if you're going to sell it.

I do get upset at myself when I do run into the occasional piece that won't fit in the stove. My wife must have loaded it up before I got a chance to recut it. :D

I'm pretty good at eyeballing then. If I was cutting for someone else I'd probably figure out a more precise method. I go more for a max size (18") and cut according to the tree. I have a King Wood circulator so I just put shorter stuff in sideways (8") when the wood has a lot of knots or other undesirable traits. I like having 6 inch long chunks to throw in jumbled up to make a nice pile of coals real fast. So anything goes. :)

It all turns to the same pile of ashes in the end. My dad and I end up with logs 16-22" hacking away.

I usually don't worry about it too much, since I have an OWB and it will take much longer wood than I'm willing to carry, but I have found that it's much nicer to stack if it's all somewhat close. Someone else mentioned sidewalk chalk...I stole a couple pieces from my son last year and found out it works great. Now I measure out a branch or stick (whatever I can find) and mark the entire log before I cut it. I all fits better in the truck and stack..

16" Dowel For Measuring

I have a 16" by 1/2" dowel hose clamped with 2 clamps to the lower part of the handle on all my saws.
Line up the end of the dowel with the end of the log and you get 16" wood every time. I have red tape on dowel to mark 12" for cutting the odd shorter piece.
I always work from left to right down the log as the dowel is sticking out on the left side of the saw.
I have used the measuring stick on the saw for years now without any problem and enjoy getting exactly 16" wood.
I will get a picture and submit it later.

Funny story, I told a guy at work one day to make a 18 inch cut. Later in the day I told him to make a 1'-6" cut. His reply was make up your mind, do you want me to cut it 18 inches or 1'-6".:dizzy:

I'm not into latex. I'm more of an importer/ exporter. Thanks anyway.

Latest posts

Back