California sycamore with anthracnose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lezlie

Reaction score
I have two trees that are experiencing different degrees of a problem, which after researching it, I suspect could be Anthracnose. The healthier of the two trees has leaves, though over the past month has increasing browing of the leaves and is dropping leaves, as well as new growth/branches are dying Other tree has lost most all it leaves, though there is some new small leaf growth, with wilting branches at top.

The trees were planted 4 years ago (36" containers), and the healthier of the two trees has grown much larger - approx. 3 times the height and width of original size, while the other has remained the same size, with less leaves.

Last fall, after most the leaves had fallen, an arborist came by and fertilized and sprayed though unsure of what he used. Now that spring is here, the one tree started out good, and now is having problems, and the other looks like it could be dying completely.

Please advise what can be done to treat and hopefully save my beautiful trees. Thank you.

If you recommend an arborist, I would be interested in someone in Los Angeles, CA. Thank you.

Odds are that what goes down for anthracnose one year, has little effect the next.

Surprising the tree person could not name the previous treatment.

This year has been "naughty" for that disease issue in the Pacific NW - especially in Oregon.

We have issues against fertilizing. Dig around in our advice pages for futher elaboration.

As long as trees are not severely starved, they last for centuries in the wild. We believe that the health gained by fertilizing, in Oregon, is outweighed by damage and loss of natural form. We support infrequent "prescribed" fertilization.

To us, this fertilizing issue with trees, is comparable to tree wound dressings.

Wound dressings were industry supported, then abandoned over time, and now we know trees handle their own for the more part.

I expect that in time, the loss of natural form, and damage from faster, healthier growth, will lead to an industry decline of fertilizing, and the gung-ho promotion of it, except in instances of nutrient deficiency symptoms.

One more bit of info, IIRC.

Sycamore anthracnose is spread via root grafts. In other words, if you have 2 sycamores growing in close proximity, and one gets the anthracnose, the other will most likely get it from roots from the two trees that have grown together. The only way to avoid it is to dig a trench and that usually isn't too practical.

Wow, I do remember something from my plant pathology class.:)

However, if you just planted the trees 4 years ago, it is likely they were affected when you got them, or they got it from another source, I'm not sure???

Dan

Latest posts

Back