calling 281/288 experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
i bought a 281 a couple of months ago. i finally finished the carb rebuild and replaced the starter cord. i tuned it this evening with the intention of running it some tomorrow.

it so happened that the oil tank was empty and i heard something rattling around. after removing the covers, starter, handle, and then seperating the upper and lower halves of the saw i realized the noise was coming from inside the oil tank. i thought it might be the pick-up but i found it was a bolt that was loose. it is about 2.5" long with a thin, square head. i found it on the IPL (PN 501 81 57-01) but i don't have any idea what purpose it serves.

can someone tell me what it is for? can i run it without it in place? is it necessary to split the case to put it back (i don't think there is any way to re-install it through the fill hole)? if i have to split it the cases, does it require a case splitter?

the saw seems to oil ok and i don't notice any other problems with it. i was really stoked after i reassembled and tuned it. it sounds very nice.

does anyone have a service manual for this saw?

maybe an old one. both are on the saw. it does look like a bar stud as it is not threaded all the way to the head.

i will check and see if it is the same size as the bar studs.

well i checked and it appears to be a bar stud.

remember the Boy Scout edict: always be prepared......nothing like having an extra bar stud, you never know when you will need one.

thanks kev!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back