Calling Capetrees....Royer chipper review...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gauge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Capetrees - awhile back you helped me identify an old Royer chipper - model 2640. It has a Wisconsin VG4D with 37 HP and 96 ft. Lbs of torque. I'm in the process of restoring this machine and figured I would check with you before sinking any more time and money into it. I was able to get a manual for it from the company that manufactured it in Pennsylvania. They stopped making chippers 30 years ago.

Anyway, what's your review of the performance of this machine (as best as you can remember)? This machine has a weird clamshell design and my concern is that if debris gets caught between the two pieces it throws off the clearance between the chipper blades and the anvil. This results in big chips and a clogged chute. Remember that I'm not in the business, just a guy that bought a house with 7 acres of ground and a LOT of little trees to grind up.

Anyone else who has experience with machine and the "patented rotating anvil) feel free to chime in. Like I said, I don't want to spend a lot of time and money only to find out the performance is crappy. This seems like a well built robust machine, but it's also the first chipper I've ever owned.

Thanks for the help.

Wow thats wild. Never knew Royer made chippers. We had a giant tree eater made by them way back when. It was like a self powered Seppi that went on the front of a JD 550 crawler loader. That chipper is wicked. Are you sure that its not a 65hp motor?

Prentice110,

No, it's a 4 cylinder, air cooled 37 HP Wisconsin motor. Model number VG4D.

I've never owned a chipper, but I think I can recognize when something was engineered well and this looks like a hell of a machine. I was grinding 4" limbs with ease, but the space between the blades and the anvil was too large and the chute kept clogging with large chips. I pulled it in the garage and I'm going through it piece by piece - sharpening the blades and setting the clearances to spec. But being I have no experience with chippers, I wanted to check with people on this board to see if this a chipper worth investing time and money into. Thanks!!

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I don't post in here much anymore.

From what I remember, the engine needs to be up to maximum RPM to insure the chips leave the chute. Of course a larger gap will get the job done quicker, eating the brnches that much faster but it will also bog the machine down. From my experience, the smaller gap allowed the chipper to run smoothly and continuously without bogging down. For small jobs it's a great machine with little maintainence required. First time through the lot might have some challanges but year after year, chipping the small stuff will be easy.:msp_thumbup:

Royer chipper

Does anyone know where I can find specs for this type of chipper. I just acquired one and would like to get it working properly. Thanks

Latest posts

Back