cameras in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know that a lot of you guys will take the camera up into the tree with you if there are some good shots to take of the view. However I am wondering how often you take the cameras up into the tree to document defects?

I have far to many pics of defects..... many of them 'in tree' particularly topping wounds, included bark stuff and pruning cavities.

Looking for an alternate media, haven't made the switch to digital, I should, it would sure save some office space!!

i have a small 3.3MP , put it in a $3 case and put an ol'2 motion to open aluminum link, that don't auto close no'mo on it and will have it sent up more and more. Figure that is still batter than screw gate. And hardware spring links (not the kind with 'paper clip gate that doesn't give the ~3x support) always seemed to catch the pointed parts on /around lines/slings.

But, just for my own revferance, perhaps coming pro-paganda. No customer/bizness documentation. Some hinges :eek: , mistletoe, rot, crack etc. Not the portrait views that the 'lens' boys bring us though. Besides there's usually just houses, pools, happy young flowers sunning themselves in their bikini's, ushering softly her young brood to car in her sandles and shorts and the like. Everyone has that year round right?:blob5:

Here's a pic I took of the neighbor's yard on a pine removal... All the limbs were out of the way when this was shot...
I later emailed it to the neighbor....

If I do, I end up taking pictures of these

How often do ya see a white one???? This was yesterday.

I have tried to get good pics in action, etc. The prob is finding someone who can take pics. They always suck. Either I look like a dot in the tree or they are standing right under me taking pics of my backside. That or 10 pics of me footlocking my entry line, 3 of me repositioning and then squat of the next 2 hours of removal. Same from up above looking down. Just get pics of people walking around and tops of heads.....

Wow. I don't think I have ever seen a squirrel that color before, at least not that I can remember. My parents had gone to an outdoor wedding 2 weeks ago. So apparently while the minister? was doing his thing, a squirrel did a kamakasi dive from about 50 to 60 feet up, in front of everybody.

I think he took off over the weekend to storm chase. Hope he brings pics back.

Wish I could storm chase a bit. I saw these guys from Eggemeyer Tree Service :confused: yesterday and had to stop to see their operation. This pic is from yesterday at a ROW clearing operation for a new interstate.

The guy said when the tropical storm/hurricane :confused: hit TX earlier this year, they ran this thing for one month straight doing storm clean up.

maple

Okay Murph, freeze crack, sunscald or lightening strike caused the maple crack? I see many of these caused by lightening strikes but the surounding branches are hit also, this pic is not up high enough to see if branches show same. Do you feel it is safe to climb past this crack. did the customer want this maple down or are they going to leave it?

Snapped this one this afternoon while out on sales calls.

Think this is a defect???

live oaks!!

Nate, I think I saw this around Bedford, but I am not sure. I was driving along and saw a 30" DBH sugar maple with a tunnel going through the base... i mean you could see right through the tree. Probably close to a foot in height, and 6 - 8" across.

Definitely not lightning or sun scald... We ended up pruning the tree... not much in the way of potential targets it could damage.... Also no prblem climbing past the crack.....

Originally posted by treeman82
However I am wondering how often you take the cameras up into the tree to document defects?
I took a lot of pics of heading cuts made after a storm. they were the backbone of a talk I gave at MACISA, and Tom D gave at the urban forestry conf.
People LOVE to see real tree work in action, if it illustrates a point on how to do tree work right. My favorite comment: "I really enjoyed your talk; it's great to hear something practical, and not all this stuff from academics.":D

IMO many of you guys have great ideas to share and good pics to show them. How about pulling your light out from under this E-bushel and showing the world (which does care about trees) how it looks from the crown of a living tree? Arboriculture needs YOU!

PS if you have pics on good regrowth after heading cuts I will PAY for them!:p

Back