Can any other vintage saw run with a mac 125?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kielbasa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, was at a show this past weekend and I noticed these 125 macs ran in their own class - was just wondering if there are/aren't any vintage saw that can even compete with these? Or maybe there aren't any comparable saws from other manufacturers?

There just happened to be a number of the 125 models there last year and someone jokingly said they should run by themselves and so this year we did...

That said, for vintage muscle saws the 123cc McCulloch models are pretty hard to beat.

Did you see the head to head between the CP125 and the 797 chassis with a 101 kart engine in it? The 101 was about 1-1/2 times faster in a 36" cottonwood log.

Mark

Hi guys, was at a show this past weekend and I noticed these 125 macs ran in their own class - was just wondering if there are/aren't any vintage saw that can even compete with these? Or maybe there aren't any comparable saws from other manufacturers?
I bet if you are able to go back through the results from that show back to about 2005 on up to 2016 you will find a good number of years where Steve won that class with his 090. The last year I there was 2016 so after that I do not know. Possibly Mark has all the results from previous years.

I'm surprised there is not more 090's competing. I'm also surprised by the wide rage of SP 125 times.
You have to remember it is a race and technique is key. I am NOT saying anything negative about anyone but some folks just have better technique. Some folks have their saws a little closer to the edge of lean. Of course the skill of building the chain has the most impact. You couple those three things together and you will see a wide variation in times among a group of the same model saw. There was at least one or two years I ran a 090Av and Steve ran his. said when I got ready to cut mine would not even come close to his. He made me look like I was standing still based on the three factors I mentioned. The two most affecting the huge difference was Steve has master technique and chain skills. PERIOD

Back