Can anyone help with this quantity question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how many pieces of wood in a full cord of wood? I realize there are a lot of variables in a question like this but again I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. With pieces averaging 18 to 20 inches approximately.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how many pieces of wood in a full cord of wood? I realize there are a lot of variables in a question like this but again I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. With pieces averaging 18 to 20 inches approximately.

This is an impossible qustion to answer. 18 - 20 inches in length? what diameter? It takes a LOT more 2" diameter pieces of wood than it does 36" diameter.

A cord is defined as 128 cubic feet. That translates to 4'x4'x8', STACKED TIGHTLY. A lot of us that sell firewood cut it in 16" length. That way, 3 rows, 4' high by 8' long equals one cord.

I believe you are asking the impossible. I doubt if anyone has takin a cord of wood and counted each piece. I would guess that if they did the number would possibly be hundreds off from the next one they counted. But if you are so inclined to count a stack of 18-20" lenths of wood filling a 4x4x8' area I would be interested in knonwing that number.

You cannot possibly answer that as the poster above said, just for that reason that some people split in quarters and some split in 6ths etc, not to mention the 2", 3", 4" rounds etc.

As far as percentage of void you can only average. 40% voids is a number I've seen used. The definition of a cord does not mention percentage of void.

To try and envision a cord I usually just think of a 5 ft. cube - 125cu. ft. - as being an approx. cord to estimate a volume.

This is about what I used when estimating log storage under wood yard cranes, either circular cranes like P&H, LeTourneau JC-40 or the gallery track types that stack tree length stems.

Let me try, as simply as I can, to illustrate what we mean by this being impossible.

I burn in two very efficient fireplace inserts. I will burn most any size wood I can get my hands on. Rather than chip or discard small stuff, I go ahead and firewood it down to about 2" diameter, all 16" long (to fit my smaller insert). My partner uses an OWB that can handle unsplit 18" diameter, up to 30" long, with no problem. For the sake of this exercise, let's make a few assumptions:

1) Let's assume no voids in the chord of stacked wood (not realistic at all).

2) Let's assume my load is an average of 3" diameter and all 16" long.

3) Let's assume my partner's load is from our latest cleanup job, a 52" willow oak, cut in 24" long rounds.

Based on the above assumptions, my load would be 1,956 pieces of firewood and my partner's load would be 4 1/3 rounds off the trunk of the willow oak. So we have a variation in the piece count of over 1,900 pieces.

Understand?

Thanks for the responses...all of the explanations have been very helpful in bettering my understanding. This is my first winter burning wood so forgive my naivete.

Thanks for the responses...all of the explanations have been very helpful in bettering my understanding. This is my first winter burning wood so forgive my naivete.

if you're questioning how much wood when buying a face cord, just figure a face cord is 4 feet by 8 feet by (usually) 18 inches. as the others have said, it's impossible to give a definate number. some pieces will be larger than others.

instead of the number of pieces, focus more on the quality of the wood: what type it is and how seasoned it is.

I believe you are asking the impossible. I doubt if anyone has takin a cord of wood and counted each piece. I would guess that if they did the number would possibly be hundreds off from the next one they counted. But if you are so inclined to count a stack of 18-20" lenths of wood filling a 4x4x8' area I would be interested in knonwing that number.

I have counted. I split my wood kind of small. It's a little bigger then what the gas station sells but not a lot. There is an average of about 325 pieces in a rank of wood. So between 950 and 1000 in a cord. I don't stack any wood when I split. This time of year I get a lot of 1-rank orders. I'll go throw 350 pieces on the truck and deliver it. I use my dolly to measure it. I always have around 20-25 pieces left.

Scott

Not necessarily impossible but impractical. Let's say you only deal in large rounds that have to be split. You as a firewood dealer, want to know based on production off the splitter how much you are producing onto a conveyor without stacking at site to haul. You've been doing this awhile so you are consistant with your splitting size. You stack out three cords of wood and count. Let's say the numbers are 200, 225 and 235. You've now determined that your cords are at the 220 pieces average.

Get one of those counter units that is manual and push button. Like they used to use on production drill presses. Every time you throw a piece of wood on the conveyor, hit the button for count. When you get to 220 you know you've split a cord, give or take a piece or two.

Now you've got a way to know how much your producing without stacking it. Would come in handy if you're splitting onto your delivery vehicle. Add a few more pieces and you should be good to go at the customers house.

Matt

Not necessarily impossible but impractical. Let's say you only deal in large rounds that have to be split. You as a firewood dealer, want to know based on production off the splitter how much you are producing onto a conveyor without stacking at site to haul. You've been doing this awhile so you are consistant with your splitting size. You stack out three cords of wood and count. Let's say the numbers are 200, 225 and 235. You've now determined that your cords are at the 220 pieces average.

Get one of those counter units that is manual and push button. Like they used to use on production drill presses. Every time you throw a piece of wood on the conveyor, hit the button for count. When you get to 220 you know you've split a cord, give or take a piece or two.

Now you've got a way to know how much your producing without stacking it. Would come in handy if you're splitting onto your delivery vehicle. Add a few more pieces and you should be good to go at the customers house.

Matt

Yes, this is true. However everyone splits their wood differently and cuts the tops to a diameter that they like to cut to. Are you using 16" for this figure or 18" or 24" ? Therefore, the averages you post are your own averages, everyones average wood piece count will be different to some degree. Sometimes a large degree.

Not to mention that the amount of air a person stacks into a "tightly stacked" cord is different. Probably as much of a variance as the variance caused by using smaller as opposed to larger splits. Unscrupulous wood dealers will use the excuse of "air in the stack or lack thereof" as a response when a customer questions why he didn't recieve a full cord for his money.

Therefore I stand by my response as an answer to the gentlemans origional question.

It is impossible to get even a average figure accurately regardless of the fact that a cord is 4' x 4' x 8'.

Last edited:
+1 what Splittah said...

We've provided enough explanations and examples to prove the point.

Thanks for the response...have you ever counted the pieces in an average cord you've sold? I'm just looking for an average figure.

No.......It's not done by the piece. Cubic feet, volume or weight. As someone else mentioned, be concerned with the quality of the wood (species, seasoning if applicable) and if the measure is in the ballpark, you'll be fine.

In Maine there are no face cords, or anything other than a Cord of wood. 4x4x8. A standard pickup would take approx two loads to make a cord. Around here if you buy cut/split a small (3-5 yard) dump truck usually delivers it. So if some arrives selling you wood in a pickup, unless it has high sides and it's stacked high, it's two too the cord.:greenchainsaw:

well....here's a place that gives some numbers:

1 Log 1 Log 18-24 inches length (on average)

1/4 Face Cord approx 60 -70 pcs. 2 Feet High X 4 Feet Wide

1/2 Face Cord approx 120 - 140 pcs. 4 Feet High X 4 Feet Wide

Full Face Cord approx 220 - 280 pcs. 4 Feet High X 8 Feet Wide

Full Cord approx 440 - 560 pcs. 2 Full Face Cords (?????)

http://www.nycfirewood.com/wood-quantities.shtml

now check out their prices:

WOW!!

Full face cord $250.00
1/2 face cord $150.00
1/4 face cord $100.00

http://www.nycfirewood.com/firewood-pricing.shtml

Last edited:
At those prices, I can ship to NYC and beat them and still make a lot more than around here!

Latest posts

Back