Can I change MS261C-M to the MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5vettster

Reaction score
My low use m-tronic saw has refused to start. I quickly diagnosed the issue to the lack of spark. It shows no light on my in-line spark tester. I've check the basics e.g. the shut-off harness got checked by disconnecting it, the lead connection is fine, etc. It makes to conclude that the coil aka control unit went out. Call the stihl dealer and of course I am out of warranty. The new control unit is $200 + tax. I am thinking, should I spend this much on getting the new control unit? I still have my 30 y/o 026 that runs like new and longevity of the mtronic system makes me wonder if I should just spend the money to convert it to regular MS261C.

Has anyone done the conversion from mtronic to the non-mtronic saw? I gather I will need a new flywheel, ignition coil and carb? That could be gotten for under $100 on ebay. However, if I need a new control handle, that would become expensive.

Need master control lever (on/off switch) , coil and carb. I did the conversion using a blown up ms291 as a donor as parts numbers matched up.
261 Pistons, cylinders, etc seem to have the same parts numbers for m-tronic and non.
Coil prices were even higher when I converted mine and had the 291 sitting there. Think possibly ms271 is the same but don't quote me on that

Need master control lever (on/off switch) , coil and carb. I did the conversion using a blown up ms291 as a donor as parts numbers matched up.
261 Pistons, cylinders, etc seem to have the same parts numbers for m-tronic and non.
Coil prices were even higher when I converted mine and had the 291 sitting there. Think possibly ms271 is the same but don't quote me on that
I should add that mine is an early one, first of the m-tronic if that makes a difference?

Technically not too difficult but I would say you are better off just trading. Swap out coil (control module), flywheel, carb AND wiring harness - which is a pain in the ass to do correctly. The control switch does not HAVE to be swapped but typically you get it already attached to the harness which makes it a lot easier. Make sure you have a white or green solenoid on the carb.

Technically not too difficult but I would say you are better off just trading. Swap out coil (control module), flywheel, carb AND wiring harness - which is a pain in the ass to do correctly. The control switch does not HAVE to be swapped but typically you get it already attached to the harness which makes it a lot easier. Make sure you have a white or green solenoid on the carb.
Flywheels are the same pt#
I had 5 or 6 at one time from both mtronic an non. All were the same #.

All the 261Cs I’ve worked on (a bunch) had a -1230 flywheel, straight 261s have a -1200. I’d have to go to my shop to dig out the IPL and I haven’t had my coffee yet 🤠 Don’t doubt what are are saying though. Ive been tempted to try swapping one. The only difference I can see there being between the two would be the timing on the position of the key slot, and that couldn’t be over a few degrees, so they should functional interchange.

Back