Can I get a price check in isle .038? (to make a short story long, read on)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool515

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Several years ago I got a Stihl .038AV Super out of the trash. The idiot working on our equipment at the time, fussed and fussed with it, then dumped it. True story. Anywho, after work one day I saw the orange and white, I grabbed it up, took it home, soaked and rebuilt the carb, new fuel/air filter, 3 pulls later, I got a new best friend. I even named her, "Matilda"(after Sean Connery's gun in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) That was 9years ago and the saw is a late 80's model. I have never had a problem with this saw since. Its a dream. Perfect for smaller jobs and if I get into a jam, she turns a 28" bar no sweat.(I'm pretty rural, so needing a 28" bar is considered a jam around here) This saw starts right up every time. Never, stalls, quits, everything works perfectly. Keep reading if you want to know the rest of the story or go to the bottom for the question, thx

Recently, I bought a cabin with much larger trees close to it and around it. Matilda and I easily made stumps out of them. Then one day, it happened, Matilda coughed a bit. Nothing major but, never in 9 years did she even sputter. I'm thinking rings? (which is typical, I mean if a girl stays with you for 9 years she's eventually gonna want a ring or two, right?) So I decide to put her on light duty until I can work this out. Before I do open heart, I need a replacement saw. So I'm looking for a bit larger saw then Matilda but, they are outrageously priced?!?! Did I miss a meeting? I've been with my girl so long that the market has passed me by? So I did some checking when Matilda wasn't looking to see if just replacing her would be an option. I was ashamed at what I found out....

As I look starry eyed and drooling over all the new saws. Pretty new colors, fancy new names, shiny new parts. Money, money, money and worth it. I mean look at how cool the Huskys look now and the Makita's! Blue! Who'da thunk it? That's a great color, sparkly blue! Hours and hours, days and days. All the new MS series Stihl saws, $$$ wow expensive stuff right there. Then I come across the Stihl spec sheet. What's this?? The 038AV Super isn't a 61cc saw, its a 70cc saw! What the what? That would explain the great ease Matilda had slicing through tree after tree, log after log. That 28" bar oiled and turned like it was ment to be, because it was ment to be! Now I'm sorta confused? You mean that dumb dumb threw away an $700 saw all those years ago? And why are lesser saws so expensive now? A 60cc goes for 6 or 7 bills, do they cut gooder?

If you made it this far, I was bored looking for a new ring set for Matilda. Just trying to figure out if an upgrade is a good investment or my other options as she is aging fast and parts for her are already sparse. Hope you enjoyed my dilemma =)

Question
So here it is, Can I get a price check on a ?1986? Stihl .038AV Super? I mean what's a saw like that worth? What's a formidable upgrade? lol, before you answer you should know 2 things.
1.She's NOT now or EVER going to be sold because she's priceless to me
2.Don't bother arguing the 70cc Super - 72.2cc Magnum thing. I got my info directly from Stihl.

The Stihl 038AV was 61cc, 48mm bore, 038 Super was 66.8cc 50mm bore, 038 Mag was 72.2cc with a 52mm bore.

Rebuild the saw and run it another 9 years. With a little work you can upgrade the saw and use the 038 Mag piston and cylinder.

Later
Dan

Are you sure it needs rings? Do a compression check to see what psi you have. Also I would do a vacuum test to check the crank seals. I think I would invest in keeping the 038 running rather than buy a new saw but thats just me. ;)

I would check compression as well (first), and look at the cylinder and piston through the exhaust port. If they look good chances are you probably wont have any seals leaking yet. If they look like life has been tough lately, then figure out how to pressurize and vac check her
If you have compression, then squirt some mix down the carb and see if she pops a few. If she does, you might just need a carb kit and fuel/impulse line(s) along with a new fuel filter. Matilda might like the rings she has already and maybe she can keep them due to the high sentimental value you both have ...........:cool2:

Just find out what is wrong with it and fix it. If a free saw has treated you that well why wouldn't you spend a few bucks on it.

If you have an internet connection, you have Ebay. Check completed auctions for prices.

Don't be so mean Brad, maybe he doesn't have internet.:msp_sad::msp_sad:

Fix it or get it fixed. Saw has served you well all this time.

Or make it a Mag with just a P&C swap, its only a couple hour job including cleanup as you go for someone that has done a few. Might take the better part of a day with a few beers tossed in for someone doing their first swap. No need to buy another saw other than wanting one...LOL

Can I get a price check in isle .038? (to make a short

Several years ago I got a Stihl .038AV Super out of the trash. The idiot working on our equipment at the time, fussed and fussed with it, then dumped it. True story. Anywho, after work one day I saw the orange and white, I grabbed it up, took it home, soaked and rebuilt the carb, new fuel/air filter, 3 pulls later, I got a new best friend. I even named her, "Matilda"(after Sean Connery's gun in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) That was 9years ago and the saw is a late 80's model. I have never had a problem with this saw since. Its a dream. Perfect for smaller jobs and if I get into a jam, she turns a 28" bar no sweat.(I'm pretty rural, so needing a 28" bar is considered a jam around here) This saw starts right up every time. Never, stalls, quits, everything works perfectly. Keep reading if you want to know the rest of the story or go to the bottom for the question, thx

Recently, I bought a cabin with much larger trees close to it and around it. Matilda and I easily made stumps out of them. Then one day, it happened, Matilda coughed a bit. Nothing major but, never in 9 years did she even sputter. I'm thinking rings? (which is typical, I mean if a girl stays with you for 9 years she's eventually gonna want a ring or two, right?) So I decide to put her on light duty until I can work this out. Before I do open heart, I need a replacement saw. So I'm looking for a bit larger saw then Matilda but, they are outrageously priced?!?! Did I miss a meeting? I've been with my girl so long that the market has passed me by? So I did some checking when Matilda wasn't looking to see if just replacing her would be an option. I was ashamed at what I found out....

As I look starry eyed and drooling over all the new saws. Pretty new colors, fancy new names, shiny new parts. Money, money, money and worth it. I mean look at how cool the Huskys look now and the Makita's! Blue! Who'da thunk it? That's a great color, sparkly blue! Hours and hours, days and days. All the new MS series Stihl saws, $$$ wow expensive stuff right there. Then I come across the Stihl spec sheet. What's this?? The 038AV Super isn't a 61cc saw, its a 70cc saw! What the what? That would explain the great ease Matilda had slicing through tree after tree, log after log. That 28" bar oiled and turned like it was ment to be, because it was ment to be! Now I'm sorta confused? You mean that dumb dumb threw away an $700 saw all those years ago? And why are lesser saws so expensive now? A 60cc goes for 6 or 7 bills, do they cut gooder?

If you made it this far, I was bored looking for a new ring set for Matilda. Just trying to figure out if an upgrade is a good investment or my other options as she is aging fast and parts for her are already sparse. Hope you enjoyed my dilemma =)

Question
So here it is, Can I get a price check on a ?1986? Stihl .038AV Super? I mean what's a saw like that worth? What's a formidable upgrade? lol, before you answer you should know 2 things.
1.She's NOT now or EVER going to be sold because she's priceless to me
2.Don't bother arguing the 70cc Super - 72.2cc Magnum thing. I got my info directly from Stihl.

Hahahahaha. Thanks for making a long story short. (Short story long). Funny stuff. I got some old Stihls from that era. Didn't name them. Women think that sort of thang pscotic when you name all them thang.

Got gas in it?

If you have an internet connection, you have Ebay. Check completed auctions for prices.

You always have the guy that goes way way back to the basics to be sure you have all your bases covered. Thank You and gratz on post 37,968!

Try to cover a few here....

So we are all in agreement, the saw should never be sold. Probably why you don't see a lot of them on the net. As to her real value unknown? But definitely big enough to get her whatever she wants. Which I would gladly do anyway.
Thank you for the 68.8 info as well, I don't believe everything I see on the internet but when someone takes the time to email me, I'm thinking its accurate. I guess she just rounded up ;)
Now, about this Magnum swap...anyone ever do it? I understand the jugs and everything are different? Never really looked into it.

Oh and the saws not dead....quite far from it. She runs great, just now every once in a while, that "cough" which is actually a sputter and popping. Seems like the saw is slipping when it happens, not producing power to the bar. It happens mainly when we get into a long cut, never does it any other time.

The guy quit, wasn't his thing and he was raciest towards Mexicans, but not before a pulled an 026, 036 and about 5 craftsman saws out of his trash can. I worked for a large landscape company and those boys just ate chainsaws up. I have great respect for immigrant workers. But man they suck at remembering bar oil and mixed gas. ;)

Oh and the saws not dead....quite far from it. She runs great, just now every once in a while, that "cough" which is actually a sputter and popping. Seems like the saw is slipping when it happens, not producing power to the bar. It happens mainly when we get into a long cut, never does it any other time.

That doesn't sound like a compression/ring issue at all. Sounds more like fuel delivery.

I'm with you...

That doesn't sound like a compression/ring issue at all. Sounds more like fuel delivery.

It sounds like she's loading up. But these guys are only making recommendations off my poor first description of how she was acting. Please school me on this "fuel delivery" thing you speak of.
Also, For anyone still reading this, what's a good upgrade to tote a 30-36" bar? I'm thinking of an 80cc min or a hopped up 75+... 5-6 bills, used?

It sounds like she's loading up. But these guys are only making recommendations off my poor first description of how she was acting. Please school me on this "fuel delivery" thing you speak of.
Also, For anyone still reading this, what's a good upgrade to tote a 30-36" bar? I'm thinking of an 80cc min or a hopped up 75+... 5-6 bills, used?

I have a 30 in bar on my 372xp running a skip chain and it pulls great. I also have a 36 in bar with full comp and skip chain that I run on my 2101XP and 385XP. You should be able to find these saws all for under 600 apiece. Patience is the key. bought all three of mine for a lot less than that. I really like a Stihl ms460 or 660 but they just can't be had in my neck of the woods for near what a used husky can. The balance of these big huskys is really sweet. Take your time and you can find a great deal out there.:msp_wink:

will do...

I have a 30 in bar on my 372xp running a skip chain and it pulls great. I also have a 36 in bar with full comp and skip chain that I run on my 2101XP and 385XP. You should be able to find these saws all for under 600 apiece. Patience is the key. bought all three of mine for a lot less than that. I really like a Stihl ms460 or 660 but they just can't be had in my neck of the woods for near what a used husky can. The balance of these big huskys is really sweet. Take your time and you can find a great deal out there.:msp_wink:

Thanks Peach...I'm waiting it out and agree with you whole heartedly. Got my eye on an upgradable Makita any thoughts?

So we are all in agreement, the saw should never be sold. Probably why you don't see a lot of them on the net. As to her real value unknown? But definitely big enough to get her whatever she wants. Which I would gladly do anyway.
Thank you for the 68.8 info as well, I don't believe everything I see on the internet but when someone takes the time to email me, I'm thinking its accurate. I guess she just rounded up ;)

Now, about this Magnum swap...anyone ever do it? I understand the jugs and everything are different? Never really looked into it.

I converted my 038 Super to a 038 Magnum. I was impressed with the saw before and it was pretty worn out. After the swap and a few tanks of fuel, it runs very well.

here's a thread on the conversion: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/207165.htm

Can't go wrong with a MS660. It's pretty happy with a 36" bar on it buried in some of this nasty stuff I've been cutting lately.

I got mine used for $600 in excellent condition. Might be a little more than some have spent but I have yet to see another one as nicely taken care of. :rock:

Back