Can I spray Gumout directly into the carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My friends chain saw either won't start, or if it does start, it bogs down when you give it the gas. I suspect it's because he let it sit for 1 year with gas in the tank and now the carb is varnished up. Would it hurt anything if I removed the spark splug and sprayed Gumout directly into the carb and let it sit for awhile. Don't wanna tear the carb apart.

Don

Update: Thanks for your help and encouragement guys, but my friend took it to a dealer for repair. It was his call.

Last edited:
I;m no expert but i wouldn't do that to one of mine. 1 it will be almost impossible to get any to the inside where it needs to be.
2 it will wash all the lubrication out when it goes through the engine(the oil in the gas is the engine lube)
No if you sprayed it thru the fuel line would get into carb but still same lubrication issue. If piston were at bottom might keep most of it out of crankcase though. My vote is its awfully risky.

I;m no expert but i wouldn't do that to one of mine. 1 it will be almost impossible to get any to the inside where it needs to be.
2 it will wash all the lubrication out when it goes through the engine(the oil in the gas is the engine lube)
No if you sprayed it thru the fuel line would get into carb but still same lubrication issue. If piston were at bottom might keep most of it out of crankcase though. My vote is its awfully risky.

Thanks Shawn:

What if I sprayed it in the fuel lines (spark plug removed), and pulled the rope to draw it in to the carb. Then let it sit for awhile. Then flushed the cylinder repeatedly with a fresh gas/oil mix to remove any lingering Gumout.

I don't know how to tear a carb apart. If this simple fix doesn't work, he'll have to take it to a dealer for repair. I just wanna be sure I don't permanently damage something.

Don <><

Thanks Shawn:

What if I sprayed it in the fuel lines (spark plug removed), and pulled the rope to draw it in to the carb. Then let it sit for awhile. Then flushed the cylinder repeatedly with a fresh gas/oil mix to remove any lingering Gumout.

I don't know how to tear a carb apart. If this simple fix doesn't work, he'll have to take it to a dealer for repair. I just wanna be sure I don't permanently damage something.

Don <><

Take the carb apart it aint hard you can do it step by step here.Otherwise it is just a waste of time talking about it .You want help ask but rip in to it.

OP here again. I found this quote at the Gumout website.

"Question: Are Gumout® Fuel Additives recommended for use in 2-stroke engines?

Answer: While most Gumout® Fuel Additives are not recommended for use in 2-stroke engines, we do offer a couple of 2-stroke specific products. Gumout® Small Engine Gas Treatment is recommended for use in all 2-stroke engines, while Pennzoil® Marine Fuel System Cleaner is specifically formulated for use in 2-stroke marine engines."

So it sounds like we can get a can of Gumout Small Engine Gas Treatment and give it a try.

Here's the link: GUMOUT® - Small Engine Carb & Choke Spray

Does anyone think this would permanently damage anything. We're just wanna try the cheapest and simplest fix first.

Don

I wouldn't waste my time. The way I would look at it as you get to try rebuilding a carb on a saw you don't own. Read on here it will run you right through it. I would try tuning it first though, just roll the L srew out(counter clockwise) a 1/8 turn and see what happens.

Well, what the heck, go ahead and try it. You've asked, we've told you, you've ignored everybody's advice. What you're looking for is somebody to tell you that everything will be fine if you do what you've already decided to do anyway.
Spray that thing down and see what happens. If it doesn't work the most it could cost you is a new saw.

On the other hand, a carb kit, or even a new carb, isn't rocket science to install. There are guys on here who could and would walk you through the process step by step. They like doing that and they're good at it. Your choice entirely.

I wouldn't waste my time. The way I would look at it as you get to try rebuilding a carb on a saw you don't own.

Thanks Ancy. But I'm only moderately mechanically inclined (meaning I can screw stuff with the best of them).:rock:

If it were my saw, I'd give it a try. I don't mind messing with my equipment as I learn, but I don't wanna leave my friend with a basket case. And luckily my friend doesn't even want me to try to tear it apart. He'd rather take it to a dealer if a simple fix isn't found.

Don <><

I don't wanna leave my friend with a basket case. He'd rather take it to a dealer if a simple fix isn't found.

Don <><
1. The procedure you are asking permission to do WILL likely make it a basket case.

2. The simple fix is a $10.00 carb kit with fuel line and 30 minutes work. You would also be paying a dealer ~$100.00 to do it. Fuel sitting for a year will melt or cause hardening of gasket and diaphragm materials, as well as fuel/impulse lines.

Ask for help and proceed with the proper procedure.

I haven't found any miracle cures in a can so far. Well, except for maybe beer and thats debateable, plus I drink bottled beer.

My friends chain saw either won't start, or if it does start, it bogs down when you give it the gas. I suspect it's because he let it sit for 1 year with gas in the tank and now the carb is varnished up. Would it hurt anything if I removed the spark splug and sprayed Gumout directly into the carb and let it sit for awhile. Don't wanna tear the carb apart.

Don

you could do it that way, you wont be getting directly to the carb. but hey its your call....

I personally would remove the air filter and spray in from that direction...:msp_biggrin:

time to move forward...

Take the carb off, and take the next step in the learning process. Get the numbers off the side and get a kit from your dealer. Buy some carb/choke cleaner and get ready to go through it. Post pics and ask questions, the only part that may be challenging is setting the metering lever (plenty around here can help with that as well). Its intimidating I guess but once you're into it, you'll wanna say..."hey I can do this!" :msp_biggrin:

This is chainsaw maintenance 101. It may seem daunting at first but really it's not hard to properly rebuild a carb and replace lines. Do you like money? If you do then you should be aware that you are going to lose a lot by being lazy. Whether that comes in the form of a can or by taking it to a shop.

Back