Can I weld a Tecumseh intake pipe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey1980

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi again forum, I want to know if I can do what I describe in the title, I know that aluminum can be weld, but I prefer to ask about this part, I attach an image. If someone tried this before I appreciate so much how it is.

Thanks and have a nice day!

View attachment 252069

Joey, is it made of aluminum or is it cast iron???

If its aluminum make sure you CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN the metal. When welding aluminum it is VERY important to get it as CLEAN as possible.

Its cast iron you CAN weld it with a special rod, but I would braze it. Good luck.

Hi, this part is made with aluminum manufacture with sintered method, so I will clean, clean, clean it, so I know that aluminum can be welded but I'm interested on who made it with this part... any suggestion will be on the note list.

Thanks!

Joey, is it made of aluminum or is it cast iron???

If its aluminum make sure you CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN the metal. When welding aluminum it is VERY important to get it as CLEAN as possible.

Its cast iron you CAN weld it with a special rod, but I would braze it. Good luck.

i would just order a new pipe personally. all the linkage on those tecumsehs are a PITA if anything bent or changed after it's welded back together. If it is a vertical lawn mower motor make sure when you order the manifold you order the updated gaskets and bolts for mounting the manifold to the block. they changed from a paper gasket to a thicker "isolator" gasket and the stock bolts are to short. the thin gasket gets the manifolds hot and after shut down difficult restarts because of toasty carbs! just my 2 cents...

i miss my good ol' HS50's and HM100's (who doesn't love doing snow blower valve jobs) shame they went away. but i don't miss those LV195's one bit!

EDIT: forgot to mention most important thing with the tecumseh engines is making sure the linkages are working properly and not binding and making sure the governor is set properly. as long as you keep oil in em and the previously stated is good it'll go thru hell and back then ask where your headed next

Last edited:
Don't weld it......Braze It

I have found that I have much better luck with brazing pot metal. Try HTS 2000 or Aladin 3 in 1, I have much better luck with them than trying to weld.

I have repaired XL 12 handles, boat motors, pump cases with great success.

Best of luck.

The problem is that I can not find tecumseh parts here, no one have and are very hard to find them, so that is why I'm asking about welding... somehow I hate tecumseh jeje

Thanks!

Thank you so much, so I will try them, because really I find a little bit difficult welding the part.

:clap:

I have found that I have much better luck with brazing pot metal. Try HTS 2000 or Aladin 3 in 1, I have much better luck with them than trying to weld.

I have repaired XL 12 handles, boat motors, pump cases with great success.

Best of luck.

The problem is that I can not find tecumseh parts here, no one have and are very hard to find them, so that is why I'm asking about welding... somehow I hate tecumseh jeje

Thanks!

i gotcha. well in that case anything is better than nothing. you didn't mention what type of machine it's on. j b weld is a very powerful tool when your in a pinch. just let it dry for atleast a day. Good luck!

Thanks!!

i gotcha. well in that case anything is better than nothing. you didn't mention what type of machine it's on. j b weld is a very powerful tool when your in a pinch. just let it dry for atleast a day. Good luck!

What size engine is that off of? Horizontal or vertical shaft? Can you post a pic of the motor?
I have a few Tecumseh's in the shed. If I have a good intake, I'll send it to you.

Arrowhead, really I appreciate so much your offer, the motor is horizontal you can see a pic of the intake pipe in the first post of this thread, but I found DuraFix welding rods here in the next city, I will try them, and if the process is success, I will notify you, either if not I take your offer for sure!

Seriously, I'm very grateful of all the help and tips you gave me guys. :msp_thumbsup:

What size engine is that off of? Horizontal or vertical shaft? Can you post a pic of the motor?
I have a few Tecumseh's in the shed. If I have a good intake, I'll send it to you.

Yes I have, but even a junk tecumseh engine is hard to find here but many brands start to use B&S and Honda motors, but the spare parts of honda are very very expensive here, like if you need to buy a valve, better buy a new B&S motor jeje

Joey, find a junk mower/engine and get the intake manifold from that.

The DuraFix looks similar to the HTS2000 and Aladin 3 in 1, it should work well for you.

Just a suggestion take each part and clean it with a stainless wire brush and then "tin" the broken edges of each part separately (apply a light coat to the surface). Let them cool some then put them together and heat both parts at the same time sweeping the rod over the break line. It works better for me instead of trying to get the rod to flow into the joint.

Hope this makes sense and best of luck.

Update

Hi forum, I post a picture about how the intake pipe is shown at the end of the exercise, I find this method (braze) very useful because is cheap and powerful in 15 minutes everybody can weld everything. The intake pipe is strong as new, even I hit it with the plastic hammer and then spray it with special ink to find cracks and I did not found anything. So, this is my first time doing this and hope it will be for many years.

Again, thanks so much to all.

View attachment 252551

Last edited:
Method applied. Thanks !

The DuraFix looks similar to the HTS2000 and Aladin 3 in 1, it should work well for you.

Just a suggestion take each part and clean it with a stainless wire brush and then "tin" the broken edges of each part separately (apply a light coat to the surface). Let them cool some then put them together and heat both parts at the same time sweeping the rod over the break line. It works better for me instead of trying to get the rod to flow into the joint.

Hope this makes sense and best of luck.

Latest posts

Back