Can you burn pine? Not a simple yes or no answer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as in my area of the state there is still plenty of good hardwoods and mostly oaks to be had. the price has been rising the last decade like everything else does with demand..... log length(100") is going for 100.00 to 125.00 per cord. as for green/dry as to processed wood its all over the board. being a firewood vendor registered with the state for "fuel assistance" there has been a rise in orders for green and dry pines as the prices and readily accessibility to hardwood has slowed! more people are becoming accustomed to burning other species of wood that was not to their liking for unknown reasons which were usually false tales to burning down their homes. you know " wet/green wood and all the tales" ..... pine is fine, as dry is good in oak, maple or even aspen/poplar. it all burns , some hotter an longer as well as a fast hot and not as long! burn what you have to suit your needs and budget.

I’ve always avoided pine because I have so much hard wood. But one relative takes dead standing pine for off season heating. Burns quick and hot. He told me that because it was dead, it didn’t have the sap content of harvested live pine.

as in my area of the state there is still plenty of good hardwoods and mostly oaks to be had. the price has been rising the last decade like everything else does with demand..... log length(100") is going for 100.00 to 125.00 per cord. as for green/dry as to processed wood its all over the board. being a firewood vendor registered with the state for "fuel assistance" there has been a rise in orders for green and dry pines as the prices and readily accessibility to hardwood has slowed! more people are becoming accustomed to burning other species of wood that was not to their liking for unknown reasons which were usually false tales to burning down their homes. you know " wet/green wood and all the tales" ..... pine is fine, as dry is good in oak, maple or even aspen/poplar. it all burns , some hotter an longer as well as a fast hot and not as long! burn what you have to suit your needs and budget.
Pablo Escobar burned $2 million in cash to keep warm. Enough said

As a trained singer, I gotta say that guy must have a fantastic singing voice. I can hear some excellent resonance and timbre in his speaking voice.

But pine is fine. Green wood causes creosote- not type of wood.
Thanks man, Interestingly, I can do deep base and falsetto best. I can do impressions of many singers and many accents. I've been told a number of times that I should do radio. I always wanted to do voice training and "find myself" in that department. I get people laughing when I say should do movie trailers..."This summer..." :p

BTW, Daniel is my favourite book!

I burn pine too unless I've got good hardwood going to waste. Also burn poplar and gum sweet and tupelo.

I can burn any wood efficiently that is dry enough in my Jotul F600CB. It's going on being 20 years old.

Down with chimney smoke!

Jotul F600.JPG

Thanks man, Interestingly, I can do deep base and falsetto best. I can do impressions of many singers and many accents. I've been told a number of times that I should do radio. I always wanted to do voice training and "find myself" in that department. I get people laughing when I say should do movie trailers..."This summer..." :p

BTW, Daniel is my favourite book!

oh- that was you in the video. Cool.
I bet you upper chest voice would be pretty glorious as well. Your voice seems like that of Bryn Terfel.

Yes, Daniel is a good one. Lots of great stuff in there.

oh- that was you in the video. Cool.
I bet you upper chest voice would be pretty glorious as well. Your voice seems like that of Bryn Terfel.

Yes, Daniel is a good one. Lots of great stuff in there.
Yes that's yours truly in the video. I'm a city kid but in tune with the outdoors. A fisherman pretty much exclusively, loving the fact that we have infinite cottage country and fishable lakes both massive and small, secluded and remote. We have the most freshwater lakes, rivers and streams in Ontario and we have vast shoreline access to three Great Lakes. I'm in the country for both work and play. I love everything about my fishing trips..getting the boat ready, bringing bagged wood for fires, cooking, cottage rental, smallmouth bass fishing, I even like the boat smell. We have salmon and steelhead and brown trout in the Great Lakes that run up the rivers to spawn. I go half hour east to fish for them (20 minutes from city limits), if I want, there are five tributaries right in the city, one being two traffic lights away beside a major north/south highway. I go east because the numbers are much better.
I looked up Bryn Terfel. With some practice, I could do his style

Pine would have to be about one half of the cost of oak to be worthwhile if purchasing.
In some areas, we don’t have hardwood, (unless you call white birch hardwood!)
Seems to be 50/50 here as to what people prefer. And all our pine (jack pine I’ll add) can’t be cut green for firewood. It’s all dead standing stuff that most assume is ‘dry’ already. And if we could get green pine and season it, by the time we pay the queen her share, it’s actually worth more than the white birch, as the market at the mill for the birch is not as good as the softwoods nor is there the fees on it for whatever reason.

Guess if I lived out west, I'd burn pine but here in western mountains of VA there's likely 10,000 Oaks to every pine.
If one fell onto my boiler I may shove it in, maybe.

As a trained singer, I gotta say that guy must have a fantastic singing voice. I can hear some excellent resonance and timbre in his speaking voice.

But pine is fine. Green wood causes creosote- not type of wood.
It's not the type of wood or weather it's green or not. It's how hot the fire is that makes or doesn't produce creosote.

Latest posts

Back