Can you chip a car to run on regular instead of premium?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked the motor up
3.5L 60 deg V6
CR 10.3
BxS 3.75 x 3.20
red line 6600 rpm
sequential multipoint EFI

4 valves per cyl with CVTCS (Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Fuel Premium Unleaded
Emissions Closed Loop Alpha Control

Last edited:
I just looked the motor up
3.5L 60 deg V6
CR 10.3
BxS 3.75 x 3.20
red line 6600 rpm
sequential multipoint EFI

4 valves per cyl with CVTCS (Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Fuel Premium Unleaded
Emissions Closed Loop Alpha Control

I really think that engine will run just fine on 87 proof, if you keep your foot out of it some. If your having problems with the cheap-stuff, with your foot out of it, there is something else happening.

I have a 5L pulling a 14,000# truck and it dose fine with 87 , with about 1/10th the technology your engine has.

I really think that engine will run just fine on 87 proof, if you keep your foot out of it some. If your having problems with the cheap-stuff, with your foot out of it, there is something else happening.

I have a 5L pulling a 14,000# truck and it dose fine with 87 , with about 1/10th the technology your engine has.

if its tuned from the factory to run premium he may have a spark rattle on mid or low grade. i dont know much at all about imorts but it should have a knock sensor that detects spark rattle and changes timing to accept mid or low grade. not sure on that model. on our newer fords with vct we have a knock sensor on each bank(v engines) and still they spark rattle on super hot and humid days. the perameters are set to read certain info and processors can only change outputs on a certain scale. if the veh needs adv or retared timing beyond the set limits the processor cannot just make it happen. its only within a set amount. so when our fords need less or more timing than the pcm is set to give it just goes to its max and still rattles

if its tuned from the factory to run premium he may have a spark rattle on mid or low grade. i dont know much at all about imorts but it should have a knock sensor that detects spark rattle and changes timing to accept mid or low grade. not sure on that model. on our newer fords with vct we have a knock sensor on each bank(v engines) and still they spark rattle on super hot and humid days. the perameters are set to read certain info and processors can only change outputs on a certain scale. if the veh needs adv or retared timing beyond the set limits the processor cannot just make it happen. its only within a set amount. so when our fords need less or more timing than the pcm is set to give it just goes to its max and still rattles

A good friend of mine, Jim Ottie , moved up in the Ford Tech school in 89 , I was offered his job but I moved on to aviation. Just wondering if you ever ran into him? (he traveled a lot, but was based in Minnesota.)

Ford's feed-back history is a lot different, better then most, cheaper but better sensors. They went to reading everything in HZ in the early 80's, instead of volts (very early Mopar, the first to invest in feed-back engines,,,1976) Or digital 10x a second like GM. (Late 70's)

Ford had the best knock sensors* early on, they could read the engine noise so fast that the processor could tell what cylinder it was that made the noise. Long before it could do anything about it. (individually timed cylinders and separate injectors)

I would have a very hard time telling someone that just spent an equivalent to a down-payment on a house that there new 'POS' (or Nisson's and such!) is just going to make noise.

It has been a while, but Ford called it 'M' -time, or better, straight clock time to diagnoses a cure for a problem. I had logged thousands of M-time hours, and Ford never shuddered paying for it.

My post are getting a little long, thanks for putting up with them!

Can you tell I miss it just a little?

*in 1987, Ford had a little problem with there SVO-SHO Taurus,,,,
It seemed there was a real bad TQ-steer problem off a green light,,,,,,,,,

They could not keep a 700HP FWD car in it's own lane of traffic! (that problem has long been fixed!)

(I worked for 2 weeks with the SVO people trying all kinds of stuff to get the 5-speed SHO gear box to shift quicker and smoother,,,,till they dropped the program)

Last edited:
A good friend of mine, Jim Ottie , moved up in the Ford Tech school in 89 , I was offered his job but I moved on to aviation. Just wondering if you ever ran into him? (he traveled a lot, but was based in Minnesota.)

Ford's feed-back history is a lot different, better then most, cheaper but better sensors. They went to reading everything in HZ in the early 80's, instead of volts (very early Mopar, the first to invest in feed-back engines,,,1976) Or digital 10x a second like GM. (Late 70's)

Ford had the best knock sensors* early on, they could read the engine noise so fast that the processor could tell what cylinder it was that made the noise. Long before it could do anything about it. (individually timed cylinders and separate injectors)

I would have a very hard time telling someone that just spent an equivalent to a down-payment on a house that there new 'POS' (or Nisson's and such!) is just going to make noise.

It has been a while, but Ford called it 'M' -time, or better, straight clock time to diagnoses a cure for a problem. I had logged thousands of M-time hours, and Ford never shuddered paying for it.

My post are getting a little long, thanks for putting up with them!

Can you tell I miss it just a little?

They could not keep a 700HP FWD car in it's own lane of traffic! (that problem has long been fixed!)

(I worked for 2 weeks with the SVO people trying all kinds of stuff to get the 5-speed SHO gear box to shift quicker and smoother,,,,till they dropped the program)

Hmm i do not know Jom Ottie. But yes i do know m-time. ha sometimes the only way to make money through ford. alot of newer veh have no labor op for fixes. now a days spending time with an engineer from ford is worse than a week long visit to the dentist. we just got a new one here. i had the cab pulled off of an 05 f150 to R&R the engine(must faster and easier on the body) now in the new WSMs it states to remove the for such repairs. he walked out of the offece and said holy :censored: dude what are you doing? hmm i said fixing the mans truck. hes reply was why the :censored: do you have the cab off? i showed him the WSM and what it said. puzzled he says wow. i asked if he had ever worked on cars he says no. yet he is a Ford engineer. explain that one ha ha

one more thing. even most of the guys with ford hotline are just average joes. not many smart ones left. most just read what the surveys say and have no real idea of what your talking about. they type in a symptom and read a fix

Hmm i do not know Jom Ottie. But yes i do know m-time. ha sometimes the only way to make money through ford. alot of newer veh have no labor op for fixes. now a days spending time with an engineer from ford is worse than a week long visit to the dentist. we just got a new one here. i had the cab pulled off of an 05 f150 to R&R the engine(must faster and easier on the body) now in the new WSMs it states to remove the for such repairs. he walked out of the offece and said holy :censored: dude what are you doing? hmm i said fixing the mans truck. hes reply was why the :censored: do you have the cab off? i showed him the WSM and what it said. puzzled he says wow. i asked if he had ever worked on cars he says no. yet he is a Ford engineer. explain that one ha ha

Your not going to get M-time to R&R an engine in an 05, but if it saves time, your the boss there, he should go back to his office.

A lot of the Derburn (the glass house) engineers doing there field study are fun, there sent out to 'work' put them to work, and flag there time for your self. Thats the way that program was set up to work.

The Rapideo Group is a lot different to work with, dose your dealership have an SVO branch, or authorized?

Edit: Get used to clock punching any RO that seems fishy,,,, or anything that came from another dealership. Even if something takes longer them book time, if you can prove that you make good time on everything else, M-time can even improve book time. All TS time is M-time, if it's not in operation in the book.

Last edited:
Your not going to get M-time to R&R an engine in an 05, but if it saves time, your the boss there, he should go back to his office.

A lot of the Derburn (the glass house) engineers doing there field study are fun, there sent out to 'work' put them to work, and flag there time for your self. Thats the way that program was set up to work.

The Rapideo Group is a lot different to work with, dose your dealership have an SVO branch, or authorized?

i wasnt getting M time to do the engine. just making a comment about it. We use them as needed. but try at all cost to avoid them. Iv been pushing my service manager to go svo roush or saleen either one. he has his reasons he says for not doing so. coming from NC we did alot of aftermarket go fast kinda stuff. we actually built another shop on the grounds just for it. i ran it till i decided to move. so iwant it pretty bad here but he dont.
id love to get back into ford performance being a big time drag racer myself

i wasnt getting M time to do the engine. just making a comment about it. We use them as needed. but try at all cost to avoid them. Iv been pushing my service manager to go svo roush or saleen either one. he has his reasons he says for not doing so. coming from NC we did alot of aftermarket go fast kinda stuff. we actually built another shop on the grounds just for it. i ran it till i decided to move. so iwant it pretty bad here but he dont.
id love to get back into ford performance being a big time drag racer myself

Dyno's are another thing to fix your sights on!

One of the best quick Drag-tricks is a plastic spoon,,,,for real.

Before swapping pencils (injectors, heavy blowers tend to pack more air further back, needing bigger jetted pencils). Quickly rub the plastic spoon on all the header-pipes, the hottest will smear more spoon, the colder ones need more pencil. :cheers:

Spoons are way faster then on-board recorders, recorders keep a lot more information. Qualifying is the best time to make changes, hot laps nothing changes, finals, nothing stays the same!

Last edited:
Dyno's are another thing to fix your sights on!

One of the best quick Drag-tricks is a plastic spoon,,,,for real.

Before swapping pencils (injectors, heavy blowers tend to pack more air further back, needing bigger jetted pencils). Quickly rub the plastic spoon on all the header-pipes, the hottest will smear more spoon, the colder ones need more pencil. :cheers:

When back home me and a friend ran our own speed shop. I actually built a few of the cars that ran on PInks all out at Rockingham. So im hooked on a dyno for sure. We spent a ton of money on ours but it paid for itslef in no time.

and iv heard about the spoon trick like using a inf therm myslef. my headers are ceramic coated so hate making a mess on them he he. and iv never heard an injector called a pencil now thats a new one on me

ha and naturally our cars were the first to be done on the dyno. buddy did his first 67 chevelle built to the hilt. then mine 88 mustang 331 with a 300 hit of laughing gas c6 9in rear backhalved. she spun on the rollers hit the limiter and scattered. i got sick literally. motor was only 3 months old and only two passes at the track. now she sports a 351 stroked 410 and lots of internal goodies

When back home me and a friend ran our own speed shop. I actually built a few of the cars that ran on PInks all out at Rockingham. So im hooked on a dyno for sure. We spent a ton of money on ours but it paid for itslef in no time.

and iv heard about the spoon trick like using a inf therm myslef. my headers are ceramic coated so hate making a mess on them he he. and iv never heard an injector called a pencil now thats a new one on me

Pencils are just tubes with calibrated jets in them,,,,constant flow. your final tune on blown alkies.

I never pit-crewed for more then a Kieth Black, Merlin piston engine in a full alky quick-16 car. 7 second 200 MPH car @6000' air,,,,,,, on a power-glide!

The fastest 'car' I crewed for was for Rich Hanna of MotorSports 'Eastern Raider' (it's now called First Strike) Rich runs in the 5.95 area.

The fastest dragster I crewed for is a toss up between Earthflight, or California Smokie both in the 5 second area, just shy of 300 MPH.

They all have j-85's in them.

Draging is fun at every level, lawn-mower racers seem to be about the happiest!

Pinks is just way to cool of a show, there coming to Denver in Aug. My first hunch is to find out who is running,,,,but second guess is it would be more fun to watch the show.

i dont much care for the show. too much crying and what not but i do live watching cars run down the track. it actaully cost me a fiance. said i spent too much time working on them :censored: race cars. o well both of us are better off now ha ha. Iv never been much a pit crew kinda person less it was my car. id go to the track and make sure the ones i set up did what they were supposed to and that was about it. fastest iv ever been myslef was 8.92 at 151 mph. whata rush
they kicked me out of my own home track ha ha told me not to come back till i had shutes

i dont much care for the show. too much crying and what not but i do live watching cars run down the track. it actaully cost me a fiance. said i spent too much time working on them :censored: race cars. o well both of us are better off now ha ha. Iv never been much a pit crew kinda person less it was my car. id go to the track and make sure the ones i set up did what they were supposed to and that was about it. fastest iv ever been myslef was 8.92 at 151 mph. whata rush
they kicked me out of my own home track ha ha told me not to come back till i had shutes

Chutes and a roll cage! Good Job! :cheers:,,,, but thats not the track, it's NHRA stuff.

Chutes and a roll cage! Good Job! :cheers:,,,, but thats not the track, it's NHRA stuff.

well i had the cage for sure when i build a car for myslef safety is first. i had no idea the car was gonna run that kinda number. and all built in my backyard shop. i hadnt even looked at the time slip yet and my buddies are going nuts i asked wtf was going on and the told me i had broke into the 8s i said bull till i looked at the slip. let the car cool off and ran almost identicle numbers. ray the guy that used to run the place said dude that was bad but you gotta go. find some chutes and holla at me ha ha. talk about a rush though the fastest i had ever been before that was 10.40 huge difference. i shook for every but of an hour

The difference is that your 5.0 doesn't have 10.3:1 C/R. I'd be surprised if if he could make it run happy on 87 octane, maybe in the winter under no load, but thats it. He might be able to get by with mid grade though.

700hp fwd? I don't think so bud. The SHO taurus never even had half that hp.

Some Max's spark knock, some don't. Most of our customers don't run 93 and don't have any knocks or any other problems. Nissan does not have a program for running lower octane. You may can get one aftermarket but I don't think there is a flash for our Consult 2, I will check. We have a few bulletins where it is stated to inform customer to run a higher octane, lol. This works 99% of the time.

I know the older 3.0 Max's(00-02) have problems with the coils going out, this will give a P0300/P1320 code though and throw the ses light. You would know if this was the case. Are your exhaust heat sheilds loose?

You say 60K, have you had the injectors cleaned? The in tank cleaner is good but we use a stronger chemical injected into the intake or through the brake booster vaccum line. If you can get a Consult, tell me what Alpha's are running.......Nissan mass air flow sensors are crap and could cause this too.

Last edited:
Back