Can you identify this Tree? Pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michigander

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
47b8da25b3127cceb7a655953fe400000025100AZsWbFi2YuGPA

47b8da25b3127cceb7a6559cbedd00000025100AZsWbFi2YuGPA

47b8da25b3127cceb7a655913fe000000025100AZsWbFi2YuGPA

Here's some pic's of a tree in my yard. It must be a native tree, but I cannot find anymore in the area like this. I'm sorry I dont have any leaf pic's. But this is a better time of the year to see the branch layout. The tree is almost formed like a pyramid, wider at bottom and coming to a point at the top. I might be on the northern limit of this tree. I am in Central Michigan. Guess's?:monkey:

definately not an elm,but it sure does have an elm looking bark.Around here,In the woods,a black gum, has a thicker,chunkier bark,much like a chestnut oak.But trees in the open can look completely different.

That first picture with just the tree shape without the bark, made me think of Dawn Redwood.

shape yes, but the bark is WAY off. Those dawn redwoods are some pretty cool trees though. One of my favorites.

And I agree. Looks like black gum.

:cheers:

Tupelo

NOt a sweetum...defa black gum, or tupelo tree, looks just liek apin oak in structure, but bark is much different.

Umm, I thought dawn redwood or larch. Dead hemlock was good but the bark isn't right. But if michi says the leaves look like treeco's guy, I don't have any idea. Does this help?:dizzy: None the less let's get climbing that sucka, looks like fun.

Its definitely not an Eastern Hemlock. I agree the branches look similiar, but the leaves are different. I'm pretty sure were still a month away from full leaf development. I will take a pic of them when they come out. Are Sweet gum's this far north? I remember it exactly like what is described in the link that TreeCo left.

Its definitely not an Eastern Hemlock. I agree the branches look similiar, but the leaves are different. I'm pretty sure were still a month away from full leaf development. I will take a pic of them when they come out. Are Sweet gum's this far north? I remember it exactly like what is described in the link that TreeCo left.

http://www.hrt.msu.edu/ash.alt/tupelo.htm

Shows them common on the lower half.

It doesn't have a fruit? Frankenmuth, I've been there, X-mas town usa!!! Nice place. Great restaurants.

Yes sweet gums are in the north but have a star shaped leaf! I feel
tree co hit this one black gum they are the first to turn in fall and
are brilliant red!

Latest posts

Back