Can You Make Any Money Doing Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as you go into it knowing you won't make a lot of money you will be okay. i enjoy the whole process of producing firewood, from dropping the tree to putting a tiny bit per cord in the bank. yes it galls me when i see the absolute crap people are trying to pass of as seasoned firewood, and actually having people pay for it. got to develope a thick skin. but being in the woods, breathing fresh air(when the saw or splitter aren't running) is a great equalizer. start small, see how you do and then expand or let someone else do the job.

it galls me when i see the absolute crap people are trying to pass of as seasoned firewood, and actually having people pay for it. Same here people in the middle of winter will try to pass absolute crap off as "quality wood"
And that gives honest woodcutters like me a bad name cause they've bought so much crap of others

In my younger days and in better timber than I am now, I made a deal with myself. When I retire I still want to do 100 cords plus a year. We'll I'm crowding retirement and hope to be in the woods for a long time to come.
I still think the best is yet to come.

For some reason this year has been weird for people wanting seasoned wood. I don't advertise having anything seasoned.

It would be ideal, but the work and space needed to season 500+ cords (closer to 1000 if you count the second processor)... it's not feasible IMO.
2 or 3 years ago I tried to sell some well seasoned wood for $25 extra a cord. I almost had to give a refund on one delivery, they were upset that some of the wood was grey and weathered.

What do you get from a cord of cedar? I know of a place plum fill of ceased to cut and don't know what I would carve per cord if I cut it

What do you get from a cord of cedar? I know of a place plum fill of ceased to cut and don't know what I would carve per cord if I cut it

Cedar doesn't grow around here, it's more in the S.E. part of the state. Yellow Cedar I believe.
If it did grow here I'd only turn the "junk" into firewood and the rest make lumber.

I'm originally from west TN and I thought they were bad 5-6 a day here they will eat you alive lol this spring I picked 23 off. They don't really mess with the dogs though

Pretty light tick crop up here this year.

I'm not so sure about that. I didn't get any on me last year, and I've already pulled 3 this year (not attached yet, thankfully).

I don't think our turkey numbers are where they've been either, so it could have a part in it. We've got a booming fox population (something I've been working towards). I may have to trap some reds this fall. :)

Gotta admit, I've been nervous about the firewood prospects for this winter with the storm we just had. From the looks of it, it was mostly pine that came down though so that shouldn't be too much disruption in the lakes area anyway.

Latest posts

Back