Can you spot the fake MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There must be a reason why serial numbers were invented. I can usually call a dealer and tell them the serial number. They can then tell me if it's valid. Stihl used to have an 800 number that would offer the same validation info. Right now I can't dig it up, but maybe somebody else has it. Whoops! here it is:

1-800-610-6677

Seems like the fake saws would not be in their database. Sellers should always supply the serial number to the buyer or a potential buyer.

I installed a new Farmertec crank and BB top end, it passed the pressure vac test but never started, I replaced with AM carb, still no love, it is sitting on a shelf looking unloved.

I expect the crankcase is aluminium rather than magnesium, so can you tell any difference in weight between the fakes and a real 361?

Very interesting topic.
Around here I've only seen counterfeit power generators (Honda and Yamaha). To be honest externally they look exactly like the original article but inside... let's just say there isn't a single part that even looks like the original.
Chainsaws are usually "cosmetic" clones, meaning they are manufactured to look exactly like the genuine article (to an untrained eye) but carry fantastic sounding names such as Arebos, Professional, Bavaria and the like.
I've seen Stihl clones, Echo clones, Solo clones (the most common), Husqvarna/Zenoah clones... even McCulloch clones. It would be just a matter of changing names to have a true counterfeit.

Intriguingly enough, regardless of physical appearance specs are invariably the same. It seems our good friends in Shenzen manufacture a small range of engines (25cc for pruning, 45cc for farm saws and 52 and 60cc for "forestry" saws) to which each "manufacturer" adds components.
These saws are cheap, and I mean real cheap: an eBay has been selling a "two pack" for over two years now. Two 52cc saws for 120€, shipped. They are Echo clones (down to the right shade of orange) but Echo won't even show you a saw for that money!
I have often been tempted to get one of these saws just to take it apart and have a good laugh but I throw away too much money already!

All chainsaw manufacturers, like car makers do a little copying themselves. If one manufacturer comes up with something new, like vertical cylinder, eventually they all have vertical cylinders. They see what sells and adopt it as their own. I'll admit the Chinese go overboard on this however, our sawmakers came up with their own versions of new and improved, they didn't clone, they came close though.

There is a new shop here that has a license to sell Stihls and Stihl parts. I had to blink twice when I saw an MS361 resting right next to a 362 and among all the other newer models, all the way up to a 461. It was priced at $700, which is a tad higher than what I paid for mine 8 years ago. The 362 was listed at $800 and the 461 was listed at $1,100.

I noticed that the shroud's machine screws had larger heads than my saw does. Maybe there are a few 361s still out there.

That must be the last new 361 on any shelf in the US. I know a few people here on AS that would want to buy it for that price. Back when the 361 was phased out of US production, I bought out 2 dealers here of their last 361s to ship down under and to the EU. That was over 5 years ago though.

That must be the last one on any shelf, and I know a few people here on AS that would want to buy it for that price. I bought out 2 dealers here of their last 361s to ship them down under and to the EU.
I'll double check that price, but I think this store was having trouble pricing a few things. Some items were over, and some were under. One of the local dealers also told me that they were no longer able to order a new MS361 from anyone--not even demonstrator units.

Not to be rude Windthrown but do you really want to help the fakers know what they did wrong?

Well, that is a rather naïve view, IMO. For a reality check here, it is impossible to hide that saw's flaws. Also there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop the Chinese from making knock-off saws, computers, iPhones, or anything else. I seriously doubt that the people that made that knock-off 361 can speak or read a word of Engrish. Letter alone reads this foruming. My intents here is to be warnings people of faker craps being listed US on Craigslist for keepers these a-holes from making fastest monetary form peoples that doing not know any butter.

Do a Google search on China 361 chainsaws, and there should be several that pop up. Here is a pair for sale, for $650 shipped to the states (they look better than the knock-off for sale in the OP on this thread):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MS36...8-High-Quality-Bar-And-Chain/32432238771.html

It is not legal to import these saws from China or sell them here, but people do that anyway.

When I was working for a large computer (CAD design) company in the Silicon Valley we sold two systems to China. The company sales guys thought that they had struck gold and would get hundreds of follow-on orders. That never happened. I called the reps in Hong Kong that had a service call on the systems, and they said that the Chinese had torn one apart to see how they were built and they left the second one whole to use as a reference platform. They reverse-engineered the systems, and then mass-produced the computers in China. My bet was and still is that they used those CAD systems for designing knock-off equipment like this.

Its the way that China works... like it or not.

I'll double check that price, but I think this store was having trouble pricing a few things. Some items were over, and some were under. One of the local dealers also told me that they were no longer able to order a new MS361 from anyone--not even demonstrator units.

They stopped making the 361 in Virgina Beach over 5 years ago when they started making the 362 there. They moved the production line to Brazil where they still make the 361 for the Latin American and African markets.

Seriously, I have had several guys here PM me looking for new 361s for anything around or under $800.

Well, I wouldn't expect the Chinese to speak engrish. It is Japanese language that has that problem not Chinese.

I googled this because I was not 100% sure. Looks like it depends on several factors, including dialect. It might happen to a Chinese person, it might not. Thanks, I learned something.

Now, back to the discussion of fakes and how to spot them.

They stopped making the 361 in Virgina Beach over 5 years ago when they started making the 362 there. They moved the production line to Brazil where they still make the 361 for the Latin American and African markets.

Seriously, I have had several guys here PM me looking for new 361s for anything around or under $800.
I suppose it's possible that this new store is selling Stihl MS361 saws made in Brazil. Note that I said that the shroud mount machine screws have oversize heads on them. Nowadays I really do not know what to expect. Maybe the owner's manual is printed in Brazil with Spanish as the first language and English as the second language?

Back