Can you spot the fake MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it's possible that this new store is selling Stihl MS361 saws made in Brazil. Note that I said that the shroud mount machine screws have oversize heads on them. Nowadays I really do not know what to expect. Maybe the owner's manual is printed in Brazil with Spanish as the first language and English as the second language?

There should not be any new 361 saws sold in the US at any Stihl dealerships unless they are new old stock made in Virginia Beach. None would be sold here that were made in Brazil. You can tell by looking at the serial number where any Stihl saw is made. The first number is the country code. 1 = Germany, 2 = Virgina Beach, USA, 3 = Brazil, 4 = China. Yes, they do make real Stihl saws in China, like old style 090 saws. They are said to be crap though.

The only differences I have seen on the many 361 saws that I have bought and sold or shipped over the years are that the later models have the new bar studs that are camphored and have a segment of unthreaded stud at the ends. Those have all been USA made 361s. The European models had different cylinders and mufflers on them. Supposedly all the Arctic 361 saws sold in North America were made in Germany and had the European engine and muffler on them, but I have never seen one of those.

Also FYI, they do not speak Spanish in Brazil. They speak Portuguese. Brazil was a colony of Portugal way back when. Likely they have 1) Portuguese and 2) Spanish, as the 361s in Brazil are built mainly for sale in Latin America and not made for export to the US or Canada.

Im still talking with him but he won't get me the numbers or talk about them!

:ices_rofl:

Likely there is no serial number. In the event that there actually is a serial number, it is probably the same number on all their saws as the 361 that they had and copied. They could also have their own serial number system there. Hard to say. There is no such thing as a copyright or trademark infringement in China. They also knock each others' stuff off all the time there.

He may never be able to supply them. I doubt that serial number even exists unless he cannot speak English or read numbers.

The turd selling this new '361' saw has enough savvy to obtain and put big spikes and a tank protector on it, and sling it with a bar and chain. They can also write English as the saw is being listed in CL. So he knows exactly what he (or she) is selling, and that it is a knock-off saw that they directly imported. Not stupid, just a low life con artist.

There should not be any new 361 saws sold in the US at any Stihl dealerships unless they are new old stock made in Virginia Beach. None would be sold here that were made in Brazil. You can tell by looking at the serial number where any Stihl saw is made. The first number is the country code. 1 = Germany, 2 = Virgina Beach, USA, 3 = Brazil, 4 = China. Yes, they do make real Stihl saws in China, like old style 090 saws. They are said to be crap though.

I can tell you the 170, 171, 180 and 181 for the European market are made in China. I was in the local Stihl dealer's warehouse to look at some used machinery and they had a lot of theses still in their cardboard boxes, all printed "Made in China". Nobody wants them though, and Stihl has authorized dealers to go down a long way with the price to get rid of at least part of the stock.

So places like South America and Africa can get a 361, but not other countries? Now that makes great marketing sense. Here's a link to South Africa - http://www.stihl.co.za/STIHL-Produc...-chain-saws-for-forestry/2623-130/MS-361.aspx

South Africa still gets those great Yamaha two stroke lawnmowers that haven't been sold here in a long time. Emissions are only part of the story: AS Motor still sells their old two stroke lawnmowers so they can be made Stage-2 compliant since AS has a minute fraction of Yamaha's R&D resources. I suspect the reasons are manyfold and some of them would make little sense to us commoners.

:ices_rofl:

Likely there is no serial number. In the event that there actually is a serial number, it is probably the same number on all their saws as the 361 that they had and copied. They could also have their own serial number system there. Hard to say. There is no such thing as a copyright or trademark infringement in China. They also knock each others' stuff off all the time there.

That's the way it is with a lot of the fake Husky 365s that are floating around the market.

So... the OP MS361 saw ad on CL has now been updaded with: make / manufacturer: AFTERMARKET

One big aftermarket part for sale there. Still way overpriced at $650. It is still for sale.

Could this thing be a Stihl 090 clone?
View attachment 473706 View attachment 473707

Is sold as a "BrightStar 105" , 105cc , 6.5 HP - currently ~220$ "Christmas Sale" , list price is ~900$

Just curious, I'll rather stick to my current saw lineup and know what I have. ;)

The last of the real 090 saws were last seen new on shelves for sale in Oz. Maybe there as one or two 090 saws left in Canada and/or NZ at that time as well. But all of the Made In Germany 090 saws are long gone now. They have been making 070 and 090 clones in China for quite some time now. You can order 090 jugs for as little as $5 on Alibaba in larger lots.

I just looked and yes the 381 is still sold in Oz. Here's a link - http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Professional-Chainsaws/21276-1573/MS-381.aspx

For the price of just A$1629 (not counting another 10% for Goods and Service Tax), it could be yours.

That will give the idea why guys in Oz are interested in fixing up Chinese saws. My 365 clone used to be $230, delivered (haven't seen them around for a while). Port a 77cc jug, mod the carb and muffler, better bar and chain and you've got a ripper of a saw for $500 that would eat a 381 for lunch. - Just a solid firewood saw that will do the work for a decent price.

Latest posts

Back