Canadian Homelite XL-76

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here the XL-12 was an industry standard, known for reliability and performance. The XL-76 is basically the same saw with automatic oiler and padded handles. I have one in excellent condition and am always impressed with it's power.

XL-76/130's are a different design than the XL-12/SXLAO. The 76/130's share the same piston with the Super-XL's. That is where the similarity ends. Canadian versions did have different part numbers to the American XL-123's. Different muffler setups in some cases, but everything is compatible. The 76's did not come with the rubber on the rear handle and tended to have the black air filter covers. The Super XL-130's also had the optional full-wrap. Earlier versions (pre-'77 or so) had points or the short-lived 1st generation electronic module. Anything from '78 onward had the infamous Prestolite blue coil. High rate of failure. That coil alone is what saved many of these saws from seeing the mileage they deserved. Outstanding performance, balance and ergonomics. They will bury a XL-12 or Super XL in the cut as well as most other sub 60cc muscle from that era. They pull out of their weight class. I've many that I am fond of. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the rear oil tank when it comes to filling.

Homelite Duo - March 30 2018 (14).JPG

XL-76/130's are a different design than the XL-12/SXLAO. The 76/130's share the same piston with the Super-XL's. That is where the similarity ends. Canadian versions did have different part numbers to the American XL-123's. Different muffler setups in some cases, but everything is compatible. The 76's did not come with the rubber on the rear handle and tended to have the black air filter covers. The Super XL-130's also had the optional full-wrap. Earlier versions (pre-'77 or so) had points or the short-lived 1st generation electronic module. Anything from '78 onward had the infamous Prestolite blue coil. High rate of failure. That coil alone is what saved many of these saws from seeing the mileage they deserved. Outstanding performance, balance and ergonomics. They will bury a XL-12 or Super XL in the cut as well as most other sub 60cc muscle from that era. They pull out of their weight class. I've many that I am fond of. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the rear oil tank when it comes to filling.

Yeah, you're right about the difference in the pistons, however the XL-76 that I have does have a padded rear handle. Purchased in Sept. 1977 for $260.00.

So I was driving and minding my own business when I pass this house having a content/estate sale. The thing that catches my eye is what appears to be a pretty good condition (meaning most of its paint is still on) older style chainsaw. Well wouldn't you know I find myself pulling over to take a peek and I see that I'm looking at an all-metal construction Homelite. Up to now I've only ever seen the plastic, made in China junk.

I have no idea about these old timers but thought the manual oiler button looked pretty cool and since they really weren't negotiating my offer I took it home. So long story short, does anybody have any experience with these? Were they a good saw and worth fixing up or am I better off parting it out? I can't seem to find much information on this saw, here or anywhere else. Thanks for any suggestions.
yes this is a great saw my dad had it most of my life he's passed on now and the saw is now mine still works great but needs some tlc every beginning of season but out proforms any new saw that's for sure . Anyways just was reading your post and figured I would reply.

Back