Can't find the right splitter!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazer1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First I would like to thank you guys for sharing your expertise, I am really struggling with this purchase.

To give you guys a little history I am an out of work heavy equipment mechanic that started selling firewood to keep the lights on. I have always burned wood and even sold a load here or there but never on the scale I have had to this winter. I sold 50-60 chords this winter and hope to sell 20 or so more before summer all of it has been split on my grandfathers NorthStar 22 ton splitter that worked great just a little slow.

I need to invest in my own splitter but I am having a hard time finding the right one. I mostly deal with large Red Oak, White Oak, and Hickory, and by large most everything is over 30" at the base. I quarter it by hand on the ground and load it into the splitter. What I am looking for in a splitter is speed, even with the little 22 ton NorthStar I never had a problem splitting anything I wanted to. I have looked at several today at Home depot, Northern Tools, Lowe's and all of them have the wheels in the wrong place.

I am struggling with purchasing a $1500 or less splitter or stepping up to something like the Timber wolf. Most of you know profit margins in the firewood business are small so the less I have to spend on a splitter the better!

So, should I maximize profits and purchase a $1500 or less splitter and witch one or should I spend more and get a commercial splitter, is there an "in between" splitter?

Buying anything less than a horizontal ONLY splitter with a 4 way is a waste of money. Unless you get a 4-way horizontal, you might as well stick with the one you use now.
GOTTA have the 4-way wedge.

Buying anything less than a horizontal ONLY splitter with a 4 way is a waste of money. Unless you get a 4-way horizontal, you might as well stick with the one you use now.

I think this pretty well sums up what I am looking for, a horizontal splitter w/4 way. I have no need for a vertical splitter. Now if I can find one I do not have to straddle the wheels to work and has good cycle times and enough tonnage for a reasonable price, any suggestions?

I agree

If you can swing a Timberwolf or an American they are great machines. I have the TWP-1 with 4 way. The other add on if you really want to speed up production is the outfeed table. Not having to pick up the resplits and run around the other side of the splitter to pick up halves is a real advantage.

Want more speed? Add an auto return valve. That's one of my projects for the near future. They're around $300 but allow you to get your next piece while the splitter is cycling.

One other advantage, Timberwolfs and Americans hold their value. If you ever decide to sell it, you won't take much of a hit.

Take Care

just got my iron and oak 26t put together today and wow this thing is built 10 times better than anything u get at the box stores.

it aint that much more and u get a commercial 9hp honda.:cheers:

For that volume and size of wood you should look at the Timberwolf TW-5, TW-6, or TW-7. For my money I would go with the TW-7, especially with that size wood. Get a log grate and a log lift and you will be set for production. You'll find you spend far less time per cord and that means money in your pocket. Hope this helps.

either your not looking hard enough or,,,,, your letting your wallet cloud your judgement.. just buy the darn thing,, there are plenty of splitters out there that fit your criteria , and are affordable.. :deadhorse:

24pdxfp.jpg
:popcorn:

As mentioned; check out the American CLS; big wheels, -in the right spot, pretty quick cycle time, convenient working height and built to last. 4-way, engine options, lifts, catch pans, reverse towing; all American made!

As mentioned; check out the American CLS; big wheels, -in the right spot, pretty quick cycle time, convenient working height and built to last. 4-way, engine options, lifts, catch pans, reverse towing; all American made!

I am going to follow up on Longshot's recommendation and suggest you keep your eyes open for a used but not abused Timberwolf, or American splitter. It's no longer there, but I did see an American 25HH on Craig's List about two months back for $1600.00. If I had not purchased a new 25HH a little over a year ago, I would have been all over that deal. My unit has done 70 cord so far problem free. The wheels are not in your way, and the working height is perfect for me at least. The Timberwolf will perform just as
well, but if I recall correctly, when I was checking around prior to purchase, I did find the height of the TP1 to be a little lower than I liked. That is an issue you will have to check out for yourself. Either machine would make you happy for the price range you want to be in, if you can find a deal on a used
one. They don't come along all that often but they are out there and worth
looking for. Just have greenbacks ready and waiting so you don't have to waste time when you see the deal. They don't last long when they do show up for good reason. The last item I would mention is to make sure you get a four way wedge option as well as a single, and catch pans for the splits. Those two items will really make a difference in your production.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Back