Can't get clip off to remove sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky-homelite

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How do you get the clip off that holds the sprocket on? I tried using snap-ring pliers, but they're too big and I can't get them betweeen the clip to spread it open, and I've tried using a screwdriver to pry it off but I'm afraid I'll tear it up. This is a clip that goes on the crankshaft holding the sprocket and sprocket washer on. Any ideas...or do I need some sort of special tool?

the biggest question i have is.. just what saw is it? cant help if nobody knows exactly what brand and model the saw is.

That's why I got spares in the toolbox all the time ... along with clutch springs, starter cords, sparkplugs ... etc etc

Just put a shop rag over the clip if your hand won`t do. Lift the rag so that you can see what you`re working on and work the clip toward the rag. When it flies off it will be captured.

Russ

Just buy the right sized circlip pliers and save the hastle...your going to need it again in the future..as a stop gap measure if you have any extra fine nosed needle nosed plier (aligator pliers) acn do it..but be prepared to lose the clip when it springs off

If it's like mine, it isn't a proper circlip, just a ring with a gap, not much to grab onto with a tool. Very small screwdriver or pick, get between it and groove, pry out, it will fly so be carefull.

ErrolC said:
Just buy the right sized circlip pliers and save the hastle...........

It is a E-clip so how would snap ring pliers remove it ? Any small pointed tool will work inclucing a nail.

Bill

The original circ-clip were a one shot use only. An actual E-Clip should come with your new sprocket.

BillW

I just came across 461 with 'newer' machined washer and had to destroy clip to remove. Remember when you could pop them in and out with the corner of the scrench? it was too good and simple and easy so they changed it.

Just the flat blade side of a scrench always worked for me.

A tip putting them back on is to use the larger hex on the scrench. You can roll the clip on using that so it is retained and can't shoot away.

Latest posts

Back