Carabiner question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used double locking steel rope snaps on one end of two5/8ths wire core braided flip lines in ourlarge fir and hemlock. I went to two in one lanyards using three aluminum carabiners to save weight and get past limbs faster--for a while I did. I kept looking down to check my lines and rigging just before I hung on it and kept finding a twisted and/or side loaded biner staring at me. That'll make your nipples hard, by Gar!! I use aluminum swivel rope snaps on the 2 in 1 now and keep the 18 foot wire core flipper for the occasional big fir. Biners just twist and side load--twist and side load--if you're going around and under and between very much. Rope snaps are so easy to open compared to the new biners.

Last edited:
Some of the Welsh (DMM/ISC) carabiners are manufactured specifically for arborists.
I was on course over there, we visited the actual factory and met the guy who started the firm, we got to see all the design, manufacture and testing areas.
He consulted directly with leading arborists, and designed the crabs to fit our specifications.
I have one of their quadruple action crabs (it attaches my lanyard to my harness) and use the triple action ones on my bridge. They make aluminum and steel triple locks.
When you buy carabiners in the UK you get a certificate of conformity that ensures that what you buy has been designed and tested for the specific application of tree climbing,to the specific EN/CE standard.

Yes, that's the guy! It was very interesting to visit the factory and have him show us around, nice to actually see where and how these things we trust our lives to are made! :chainsaw:
Give me some time and I'll post a pic of the quad locker.

I would like to throw out an overview of what i have read in this post
My personal preference, Petzl ball lock, on both sides, anchor and hitch. I like it, it is most efficent for me. Screw lock carabiners have been known to open or unscrew. Rope snaps are double action. I saw a demonstration of a rope snap manipulated in a D-ring on a saddle just held and twisted, it opened and came off the D immediately. (Enter plunge to death). Can it happen just that way while you are climbing, who's to say it can't. Take that for what it is worth. The ball locks have 3 distinct motions to open them. As for side loading a carabiner try some of the binding knots like buntline, anchor hitch, double fishermans knot, etc. You can even tie a larger eye bowline and girth hitch your biner. A larger eye splice can also be girth hiched. I am not positive but i think this is one of the new standards for carabiner use to prevent side loading. I will look into it.
A relaxing thought is the ratings on our equip and the relatively light loads a climber generates. As someone said earlier our equip is not designed for fall arrest merely suspension and positioning. When do we ever shock load our climbing equip?
Its all rated to be way safer than it needs to be. But if anyone wants to open that can of worms, lets start a new thread.
I am sorry but I am not buying it a locking snap failing like you say I have not had one fail me in 22 years. I read about biners failing and I think most failures are caused by people using the snap for bowline and climbing and damaging the mechanical locking features.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back