Carb cover winter/summer switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Reaction score
3 of my Stihls have the black tab that you can switch between summer and winter. I was cutting today and stopped to brush an air filter off and saw it and remembered I should ask when to switch it.. Is it to keep out snow or for just cold temps. it was in the teens today would it be time to switch them? What exactly do they do?

Tried a search 1st couldn't find the answer sorry if this is a repeat offender.

It introduced warm air from the engine, into the air filter/carb area to hopefully prevent icing. Some climates it helps in others its all dependant upon that day and if the pink elephant was seen or not.

IIRC, my manual says to switch it over if its below 50 degrees. Will check tom. to confirm.

Be sure to switch it back to the summer position when it gets warmer though.

There is a cover that can be screwed onto the outside of the starter cover that is supposed to keep snow from being sucked into through the cover.

Believe there was a recommendation on what temperature range to use that too, but not sure what it was, thinking less than 14 degrees?

husky manual claims low 20's switch, and they must know backwoods guys like us, their "winter cover" for the starter is "adhesive tape". That's what they say to do......put a little tape on the bottom of the vents of the starter cover and open the black tab. Sounds hillbilly, but I've been using it and hasn't frozen on me yet.

Back