Carb for sthil 038 MAGNUM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KASH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a 038 mag missing the carb and air cleaner cover the saw runs I squirted gas in it. The dealer wanted to sell me a Bing never heard of them are they any good he said the Hk-42B it came with are total junk and leak gas but I can buy a used one for 40.00 can. Performance wise would this saw compare to my 630 ,266xp or 031. Any help on the choice of carbs greatly appreciated. I apologize for the typing a keyboards alot harder to run than a chainsaw. Kash

Your dealer is wrong about the HK leaking gas, I had an HK on my 038 I used to have, and it ran just fine. the bing is good too, but I'm told rebuild kits are expensive for that one. the 038 MAGNUM, compares best to an 044, but more torque, and its a bit heavier than an 044, but same displacment, and just a little slower too.

Lawn Masters is absolutely correct. Both carbs are good carbs. The HK has an extra layer of gaskets and I find it best to soak the inner gaskets in white spirit for a few minutes to soften then before assembly. Nice thing about the HK is that there are no galley covers - you can see through every part of the carb. Kits are cheaper also.

An 038 mag is a cuttin little fool .Many people prefer them over the 044.I rebuilt one last winter for a man and was impressed with it.
I have an 038 that I "tweeked" a tad,it runs very well.I was thinking it had a Tilley HK,but I could be mistaken.
A Walbro Ws might fit if the linkage would line up but at any rate the Hk works well.

I run an 038 MAgII and absolutely love it. Not quite as fast as an 044 but way more powerful. Its a little heavier but not so noticeable that you wouldnt want to run it.

Latest posts

Back