Carb rebuild & tach install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Never rebuilt a saw carb before. Helped on a few cylinder head rebuilds; same process, just on a smaller scale; easier to lose parts!!

Didn't take pics of everything; just the before & after. And yes, it worked great (after a little screw adjustment).......also cleaned the fins and the flywheel as it was pretty gummed up with dust&grease. Also changed the plug & fuel filter, and replaced the clutch needle bearing and sprocket.

I put one of the cheap digital tachs on the air filter cover. I was pretty surprised at what 12,500rpm was. Much lower sound note than I thought it was. I think I was probably running the saw at close to 14,000, no load speed. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: All's working well now, and back to 12.500. Made a few cookies after the tune up; lots more torque available, and much quicker rev acceleration. All in all, definitely worth the time put in.

I'm actually kind of upset with the response time. Others have said it is around 1 sec, but I find that with or without the ground wire attatched, it is more like 2-3 seconds. Still very cool, and easy to tune now.

Link is right here:

http://enmco.thomasnet.com/viewitem...s/tach-hour-meters-pt15-tachometer?&forward=1

There are a couple of other styles available. In retrospect, I wish I'd gotten the surface mount version with holes for screws or bolts. I've siliconed it in, but the tach contacts the filter on 394 models with the HD filter kit. I may actually make a "riser" out of another piece of plastic to keep it from pushing itself out of the filter cover when it hits the filter. I was thinking about getting a K&N filter washable filter anyway, so maybe I'll get one that's 1/2" smaller than the filter or something. Otherwise, I love it.

Latest posts

Back