carbide chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Really expensive, sharpened with expensive diamond wheel.

Try the search feature and discover a wealth of carbide chain info.

carbide not as good

Thanks for quick feedback. Did you intend to post a link, I have done a general search and see that Stihl and others make it but nothing from users on how well it works.

When you say "not as fast as regular" is it like 50% slower? Also does it require more pressure on the saw, if so that would be tiring. I want to use for stump cuts...dirt and just abrasive wood.

No I didn't intend to post a link. I meant do a search of this site and you will find other threads discussing the subject.

Newfie said:
No I didn't intend to post a link. I meant do a search of this site and you will find other threads discussing the subject.

Exactly! It has been covered repeatedly...every week or so somebody asks about it. Same answers everytime.

It is slower, but the biggest problem is that the carbide cutters are easily dislodged from the chain if an obstruction is hit. The consensus is that it is big waste of money, if nothing else. This stuff is really best suited for firefighters cutting ventilation holes in burning structures. If stump removal is your thing, a good semi-chisel chain and a few extra minutes spent before you start cutting with a shovel and broom will work wonders. Or possibly consider the bonded-carbide (inject-a-sharp is one type, i believe), as it is more reasonably priced and can be sharpened in conventional ways.

I agree. I bought a Rapco chain and it worked well when it was new. After hitting some rocks and dirt, I lost some of the carbide and it was a PITA to sharpen.

Latest posts

Back