Carbide Saw Chain, Anyone with real world Experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pataya1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've ran across 2 people that use High dollar Carbide Chainsaw Chain.
2 companies make this stuff and you can get your hands on it.
One is Carbide Chain Company, and the other is Rapco

Reading the reviews on this stuff, and it's tempting.

Time is money when your in production mode.

If you spend over $140-200 on a chain, but your production goes through the roof, it may just pay off.
And you can get it sharpened too when eventually it needs that.

Real life reviews here

Carbide Chainsaw Chains - Customer Coments.

Anyone here on this site actually try the product?

Please comment, i'm very tempting to try this.

I've used lots of it, all for rescue saws I wouldn't recommend it for just cutting wood it is pretty slow......plus if you ever hit a rock or a big nail it breaks the carbide cutters off

Stihl also makes a couple versions of carbide chain. I have two customers that use it. For $125 retail, a 20" 72 driver 3/8 rapid duro chain will really only stay sharp for the equivalent of 5 to 6 Stihl RS chains, so it's a toss up as to what is better. However, if you take the 5 RS chains you will make more cuts faster because the carbide chain simply isn't as fast.

Really dirty wood? Well, carbide kills the standard chain. However, impacts with rocks and steel can break the teeth off a carbide chain and that ruins it. Hit a rock with an RS chain and it's only done until you can get to the grinder.

My limited second hand observations of carbide chain.

my limited second hand knowledge of the carbide chains makes me agree completely with the other posters.

I worked with a couple of guys who tried it. It didn't last long before they started loosing teeth. They decided to go back to regular chain within a couple of days.....

If it was the answer every faller and bucker would be using it. It is designed for a specific purpose and production cutting is not it.

I used some of the Stihl picco duro for stump cutting but a pocket of dirt I couldn't see completely destroyed it. Up to that point it was slow but worked well in dirty wood

2 customers of mine said they used it. only one still does and only for a big beam/fencing crew jobs. the customer who said they don't like it said it ran much hotter in the same wood and same bar than regular chain so he just keeps the loop around for emergencies. who knows? one day i may try a loop but i don't have $100 to drop on a experiment when my other stuff runs so good. i still see bullet chain on most the firehouse saws around here, and most like that chain better for that enviroment and personally agree.

Latest posts

Back