Care to identify?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RiverRocket,

I had a long conversation about BL here on this site with a southern tree service guy that told me Bl looks nothing like my pictures.
Guess it's a northern thing with BL.
After many pictures of Ontario BL he agreed what I showed was BL, and what he showed me of his BL looked very different than the norm for me.
I guess BL looks very different from the middle states south and the middle states and north.

Makes id all that more fun and yeppers I make my own mistakes trying to id what I'm used to in my area but looks very different in another location.

Those darn adaptive trees always trying to look different sure make it interesting to id. :)

I was going to say something about trees of the same species may look different based on what part of the world they were in, but thought for sure everyone would start a new thread to make fun of me LOL
All I know is that I’ll through anything in the stove once to see if it burns or not :msp_biggrin:

Even after hearing what everyone else is saying, I think it's a young elm. The coloration of the bark is what is driving my thoughts.

Gotta add to the honey-locust vote.
I get BL on my property and HL from my brother, both identified by a local arboriculturist friend who works with Cornell University. Honey has the big beans on it, like a foot long for a mature tree, big white sapwood outer growth ring, orange heartwood, and a thinnish kinda scaly bark. Black has coarse and deeply furrowed thick bark and yellow-green heartwood, and BTW, both have thorns when they're small and both lose them when they're older although some of the upper branches will keep them as they mature, depending on how hard they need to fight for their space and survival.
Of course this all depends on your location. Soil conditions, water and nutrient levels, growing season, current beer supply, and what else you have to do. I find it interesting but your results may vary. I'll post pics when/if it stops raining.

Here are some shots of the locust that hangs over our house. The other, larger one was taken down by a local tree service company a few years ago (with a crane), and they identified it as a black locust. None of these have any thorns, nor have I seen any bean pods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a younger offshoot with smoother bark:

attachment.php

attachment.php

RiverRocket,

When you think about it a tree growing in southern Florida or the basic same thing growing in Northern Ontario are bound to look quite different.

Then you have a million and one hybrids of everything to boot planted all over the place.

The two I have found to be very different are Black locust and Mulberry and I bet for both they are cold weather sub species or just the nature of a much shorter growing season on both species.

I forgot to mention that the larger companion to the tree pictured above we had taken down a couple of years ago had locust borers in the outer wood. From what I have read, these do not infest honey locusts, only black.

These trees are really an enigma - the bark does look more like pictures I've seen of honey locust, but there are no thorns, no seed pods, it throws out suckers like crazy and it has locust borer issues.

I forgot to mention that the larger companion to the tree pictured above we had taken down a couple of years ago had locust borers in the outer wood. From what I have read, these do not infest honey locusts, only black.

These trees are really an enigma - the bark does look more like pictures I've seen of honey locust, but there are no thorns, no seed pods, it throws out suckers like crazy and it has locust borer issues.

The original pics are Honey Locust... Yes, there are thornless cultivars of Honey Locust... Locust Borers infest the HELL out of honey locust... Honey Locust is nothing like a black locust when it comes to wood color or quality... Black Locust does NOT rot and is yellow... VG firewood...
Honey locust is salmon colored, and rots pretty fast if left in the elements..."High Moisture"
I cut a TON of Honey Locust... To those who thought the pics were Hickory, I see how the bark could mislead, but it's not Hickory...
The specimen should have split rather easily also...
Yes???

Neither the bark nor the grain looks like any locust I've ever seen. Locust bark is much thicker than that.

Split a couple and post pics. Locust (honey and black) both are pretty yellow inside. Definitely not reddish like that.

Looks kinda like a type of hickory to me, but just guessing really...

To me the bark looks like honey locust but the center is a little off. Could be pic though. Only way to tell is to split and honey will have a orange middle. WEll the honey locust I have does.

To me the bark looks like honey locust but the center is a little off. Could be pic though. Only way to tell is to split and honey will have a orange middle. WEll the honey locust I have does.

Orange???? Ish???
Pastel?
Or Vivid???
:msp_sneaky:

Hedgerow,

Bizzare how different honey and black locust are north and south eh?
Black Locust here is witeish sapwood and almost northern red oak in color in the heart wood, bark is identical to pictures with red fleck showing on the bark .
Honey Locust here is all soft orange no red fleck in the bark.

Splitting it was a great idea to tell, honey locust north or south splits easy, Black not easy and with strings clinging on a bit like elm.

More pics, trying to identify this stuff. The smell, to be honest, was like the smell of unburned tobacco in a cigarette.

http://i48.tinypic.com/30k9e7l.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/wrz6lw.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2a9v9dv.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hqwmsj.jpg

H O N E Y L O C U S T

And No... Black Locust does dot, nor ever will it, look like Honey Locust...
Don't care where you live....
I've cut Black locust as far north as the UP of Michigan, and guess what...???
It still looks like Black Locust!!!!!!!
What Bster has is Honey Locust.... We've been eradicating it here for years....

Back