Carpenter ants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The area around the wood pile is more important. We farm also, so I usually take some old or leftover round-up, ranger,etc. and spray around the woodpiles and splitting area. I would not spray any wood you are selling, but a good blast of pesticides does ants good!:)

I don't like the idea of spraying the wood itself, but pesticide on the ground or around the pile I will do, as Hick mentioned.

I think prevention is the thing. I usually lay down a tarp or put crushed stone down where I plan to have a wood pile, and of course raise it high off the ground. The ants are less likey to come if there isn't dirt under the stack. Separating the wood infected with ants from the main pile is probably your best bet at this point.

How do you guys kill carpenter ants and termites in your wood piles?
It depends on the wood on weather you get ants.Cut and stack hickory and chances are you will have some.For some unknown reason they seem to favor hickory but leave oak and maple and cherry alone.They will however get in about any punky wood .

Usually they move on ,once the wood is dry.As far as pesticide,I hose it down with sevin if it becomes a problem.

It's nearly impossible to keep some type of bugs out of wood,gypsy moths,ants of all types etc.Just don't stack a whole lot of it in the house.The bugs produce heat when they burn,along with the firewood.That's what is known down here on the farm as crispy critters.:greenchainsaw:

Back