How do you do pest control in your wood piles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to get poison to the bugs in the wood already.

Permethrin will get them going in and coming out. I get the 10% concentrate from TSC and mix up what I need.

If you get the stuff that is just permethrin can also do clothes with it for ticks and such.

Permethrin will get them going in and coming out. I get the 10% concentrate from TSC and mix up what I need.

If you get the stuff that is just permethrin can also do clothes with it for ticks and such.
cool, will pick some up…have to get more bead blast medium from them anyway…

so, just spray on the wood stacks? How heavy?

cool, will pick some up…have to get more bead blast medium from them anyway…

so, just spray on the wood stacks? How heavy?

The last time I was at TSC they had a 10% concentrate. Dilute 20:1 with water (0.5%), distilled if you are going to save it.

I just wet surfaces where the bugs crawl on. Works great on foundations that have carpenter ants getting into sills. Ground bees I put a wad of cut grass over the hole and saturate it with spray, they have to crawl through it to get in/out. Will also work on above ground bees/wasps but does not have immediate knock down power. I spray those at night with a 2-gal hand sprayer and cover up just in case.

Keep away from cats when it's still wet.

I first started using the more expensive stuff for clothing to keep ticks off. Was skeptical....I sprayed a set of clothing and went to tick infested area. I picked up a tick on my pantleg, it crawled up to my knee, stopped, went into a spasm , then fell off dead. A medical doctor mentioned he used the TSC stuff on his clothing. It's much less expensive , but I'll say use at own risk. make sure it's just permethrin.

permethrin label.png

Spray the wood piles and stacks with pesticides? That stuff lasts and when burned, guess who's breathing in the chemicals? My grandfather used to spray the wood with Chlordane and that, as it turns out was a BIG no no. I can't imagine permethrin is any better. I'd suggest surrounding the wood piles with some sort of chemical on the ground like a barrier to kill and incoming and outgoing insects. Mice and chipmunks? They leave when the wood is sold or burned.

Spray the wood piles and stacks with pesticides? That stuff lasts and when burned, guess who's breathing in the chemicals? My grandfather used to spray the wood with Chlordane and that, as it turns out was a BIG no no. I can't imagine permethrin is any better. I'd suggest surrounding the wood piles with some sort of chemical on the ground like a barrier to kill and incoming and outgoing insects. Mice and chipmunks? They leave when the wood is sold or burned.
Yeah. That's what I mean. I don't want my customers falling ill because of chemicals that they are exposed to. Hell, I don't even use paraffin wax in my fire starters because it comes from petroleum, I instead opt for 100% biodegradable and organic soy wax that actually Burns better. I don't even use Roundup and permethrin to do weed and mosquito control for my lawn care customers. I'm 14 and I don't want to be exposed to such harmful chemicals at a young age.

Permethrin is fairly benign. It's is used topically on skin to treat scabies and lice and treat clothing for insects. No adverse reactions have been noted for pregnant women. It's also used on food crops such as corn and wheat.

It is unlikely burning the dilute solutions used as insecticides on wood produce toxic levels of combustion products.
Yeah. That's what I mean. I don't want my customers falling ill because of chemicals that they are exposed to. Hell, I don't even use paraffin wax in my fire starters because it comes from petroleum, I instead opt for 100% biodegradable and organic soy wax that actually Burns better. I don't even use Roundup and permethrin to do weed and mosquito control for my lawn care customers. I'm 14 and I don't want to be exposed to such harmful chemicals at a young age.

I use white pine cones for fire starter. They are organic and free. Besides I need to rake them up in the fall anyway. I put up a few contractor bags full every year the pines put out a bumper crop. If you have a good source you could market bags full as fire starter.

This is what I recommend, not directly on the wood but on the ground you stack it on. https://www.solutionsstores.com/permethrin-sfr-insecticide

Not sure if any stores nearby carry that brand? It's more concentrated than the 10% TSC sells. I think Ace hardware might or can get it.

I keep a bottle of concentrate handy and spray a few sets of clothes when ticks are bad. Been treated for Lyme a few times but never bitten when wearing treated clothes

Permethrin is fairly benign. It's is used topically on skin to treat scabies and lice and treat clothing for insects. No adverse reactions have been noted for pregnant women. It's also used on food crops such as corn and wheat.

It is unlikely burning the dilute solutions used as insecticides on wood produce toxic levels of combustion products.

I use white pine cones for fire starter. They are organic and free. Besides I need to rake them up in the fall anyway. I put up a few contractor bags full every year the pines put out a bumper crop. If you have a good source you could market bags full as fire starter.

Not sure if any stores nearby carry that brand? It's more concentrated than the 10% TSC sells. I think Ace hardware might or can get it.

I keep a bottle of concentrate handy and spray a few sets of clothes when ticks are bad. Been treated for Lyme a few times but never bitten when wearing treated clothes
The MSDS for the 38% looks pretty benign for combustion products. I can't imagine the 10% being a problem at all.

I have been using ant bait stations that work like a dream on ants but not on other stuff. I want to know what you guys do.
rather then Rube Goldberg rodent traps and gnarly chemicals.
Just stack the wood in a dry well ventilated area, the mice/rats might make a home there, but won't eat much, once the wood dries out the bugs won't move in and will move out.
getting the stacks up off the dirt helps too, anything from coarse rock to recycled pallets works
There will always be spiders and whatnot that hibernate in wood piles, unless you want chemicals its just a fact of life.

Did I not mention that I'm 14 years old? Don't you have to have insurance to have that kind of stuff? And besides. I like using organic methods that don't require me to put on a freaking space suit just to go out and spray some weeds.

I'll set you two up on a date......

1 greta tire.png

Back