Carry Case for a large saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tool Box Case For A Makita Electric Saw

I wanted a case for my Makita electric saw for some time, to keep any oil leaks/drips off the floor, keep things together, etc. It's a slim design saw and I did not want a oversize case for it. I was going to build one out of wood. But, based on the Rubbermaid storage container idea, I also kept my eyes open for a plastic tool box of approximately the right size. I finally found a 26 inch long Plano tool box on sale a few weeks back at a home center.

As noted, plastic cases are light, water resistant, and clean up easily. A box just big enough to hold the powerhead is smaller and lighter than one that extends to the end of the bar, and accommodates different length bars. Plus, if I pull the bar and place it inside the box, it takes up a lot less room for longer term storage or transport when space is limited.

Masking tape on the outside lets me trace (and revise) the proposed cut-out.

Trace 1.jpg

A little work with a hole saw and utility knife.

Cut.jpg

Open view.
Open.jpg

Closed view.

Closed.jpg

Cutting down the tray that came with the box to use for accessories.

Tray.jpg

Philbert

I wanted a case for my Makita electric saw for some time, to keep any oil leaks/drips off the floor, keep things together, etc. It's a slim design saw and I did not want a oversize case for it. I was going to build one out of wood. But, based on the Rubbermaid storage container idea, I also kept my eyes open for a plastic tool box of approximately the right size. I finally found a 26 inch long Plano tool box on sale a few weeks back at a home center.

As noted, plastic cases are light, water resistant, and clean up easily. A box just big enough to hold the powerhead is smaller and lighter than one that extends to the end of the bar, and accommodates different length bars. Plus, if I pull the bar and place it inside the box, it takes up a lot less room for longer term storage or transport when space is limited.

Masking tape on the outside lets me trace (and revise) the proposed cut-out.
attachment.php

A little work with a hole saw and utility knife.
attachment.php

Open view.
attachment.php

Closed view.
attachment.php

Cutting down the tray that came with the box to use for accessories.
attachment.php

Philbert

nice job:msp_thumbsup:

Bought an ECHO CS400 that came with a PowerBox type case - slightly smaller than the Husqvarna ones.

Funny thing I recently noticed is that the main, side flap of the box drops open as soon as the top is opened. On the Husqvarna cases, it sort of 'snaps' into position and stays up until you pull it down. Kind of a minor thing, but sometimes I pack stuff in there and it can fall out unexpectedly. Might be time for some Velcro straps.

Philbert

Here is my "carry case" for my saws. :)

But seriously... they don't make 'em because 99% of the people that use saws that big, use them for a living, and don't need fancy cases for them.

Gary

You got that right. Some use carry cases since they wear skirts, which we all know don't have pockets for the carb adjusting screwdriver, scrench, and fuel/bar oil. And they're afraid of some dust getting on the saw while it sits in their garage.

But seriously... they don't make 'em because 99% of the people that use saws that big, use them for a living, and don't need fancy cases for them.

Gary
Have to agree, I rarely use one of my saws more than once a month, so storing them in a case makes sense for me. If the saw was a living, why bother.

Case for an Electric Saw

This saw is wider than most of the other saws I have, and would not fit into a PowerBox type case, without a lot of modification, and without part of the motor hanging out of the side. It also would not fit into the beverage cooler on Page 1 of this thread.

It did fit into a Rubbermaid, 14 gallon, storage tote. About $7, on sale, at a local home center. An idea I first heard of here on A.S.

I can also store the saw with the bar removed, to take up less room, along with bar oil, gloves, extra chains, etc. I might have enough room for a good sized extension cord in there as well!

Philbert

photo 5.jpg
photo 6.jpg
photo 7.jpg

I make my own cases out of plywood. Use 3/8” and glue and brad nail the edges. I build a fully enclosed box to size, then cut the top off about 2” from the end. Glue in strips of plywood all around on the inside and you’ll have a removable top that fits perfectly. On the top I inlet a square about 4”x5” and set it 1/2” lower than the rest of the top. I drill two holes and then pass a length of rope through to serve as a recessed handle.

This all results in a perfectly sized stackable saw case that’s both tough and light. They’re also cheap. I’m a big guy and I have used them as step stools. The biggest downside of it all is that building them is time consuming. Only about 1/3 of my saws are stored in them because I rarely have the extra time to devote to making saw cases.

They really are nice to have though. My homemade saw cases are way more compact and practical than those bulbous orange monstrosities Stihl makes and in a cluttered garage like mine they both protect the saw and keep it grouped with the correct chains and parts. When you make a rectangular box to house something lumpy like a chainsaw you can build in lots of compartments for the extra stuff.

I bought a 26" Milwaukee Job Box at a pawn shop for my 2511T.

Plenty of room for saw with bar and chain attached to fit completely inside, along with fuel and oil, spare chain and bar, gloves, muffs, tools, lunch, and a thermos.

Two end handles and a top handle.

Oh,,and an o-ring seal. So it's watertight.
untitled.png

2BBDE4A6-3798-49FE-ADEF-3A577FA657FE.jpeg E8D8BACD-B94F-4433-B2CF-E82391C8DB79.jpeg E68F86D4-CDE8-4494-A9BA-0AE02D478B0B.jpeg 25567D89-2BA2-406F-8B4F-9EDCDF76B247.jpeg 076AA354-A06A-4A70-A35E-2A7834300317.jpeg DA93A654-D918-4CD9-A530-2CC830FEE283.jpeg 866DDDAE-440B-4FB1-A09F-533A32E375F8.jpeg 2BBDE4A6-3798-49FE-ADEF-3A577FA657FE.jpeg E8D8BACD-B94F-4433-B2CF-E82391C8DB79.jpeg E68F86D4-CDE8-4494-A9BA-0AE02D478B0B.jpeg E8D8BACD-B94F-4433-B2CF-E82391C8DB79.jpeg 2BBDE4A6-3798-49FE-ADEF-3A577FA657FE.jpeg 866DDDAE-440B-4FB1-A09F-533A32E375F8.jpeg 2BBDE4A6-3798-49FE-ADEF-3A577FA657FE.jpeg E8D8BACD-B94F-4433-B2CF-E82391C8DB79.jpeg E68F86D4-CDE8-4494-A9BA-0AE02D478B0B.jpeg 25567D89-2BA2-406F-8B4F-9EDCDF76B247.jpeg 076AA354-A06A-4A70-A35E-2A7834300317.jpeg DA93A654-D918-4CD9-A530-2CC830FEE283.jpeg 866DDDAE-440B-4FB1-A09F-533A32E375F8.jpeg Here are three of my homemade saw cases. The first that houses my 066 was kind of a failure. Way too awkward and heavy. I built it out of 1/2” treated plywood with reinforced corners.

The second with the Pioneer/Partner P45 is better, but I didn’t get the handles right.

Third try with the 017 is pretty good. Instead of using rope handles on that one though I scavenged clips and a handle off a junk toolbox.

Latest posts

Back